Battery life with WP 8.1

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Here with my L920 is something like this:

- Phone without use (stand by): Wifi on, Location off, Data off, Some apps background (FB, Whatsapp, Instagram, Weather Flow, Calendar, Store, Battery Performance), Cortana On ----> battery performance is something like 1% per hour, what is the same that I got in WP8.

-Using the phone (normal using like check FB, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc) ---> battery drains something like 16% per hour!!!

I have to assume that MAYBE is something related with the screen (probably the firmware updates by Nokia could solve this problem).

Well, we have to wait untill Nokia releases their updates... for now, lets keep our battery charger closer! :)

JJCrews

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920. Prior to the update, I would randomly have 'bad battery' days where it would drain quite dramatically while sitting on my desk at work.
All things the same, it would last all day and more some days, and then randomly loose juice for no apparent reason on other days.

Since the update, I can't say that my battery lasts longer than it did on the better days prior to the update, but I haven't had the random mass-exodus of juice that I had before.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what setting may have fixed the issue - but I'm at 90% and 5 hours off the charger. That's way better than even before the update. Seems fishy.

The last couple of days I couldn't get the phone to last more than seven hours.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what setting may have fixed the issue - but I'm at 90% and 5 hours off the charger. That's way better than even before the update. Seems fishy.

The last couple of days I couldn't get the phone to last more than seven hours.

Ikr! Today my 920 lasted twice as long as yesterday with the same usage pattern!!

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Weird, I haven't noticed any problems with my battery life on the 520 I use. I've been using it more lately checking out 8.1 and it's only slightly down from normal.

jmr60

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Update on my Lumia 1520: So I completed a full day today. Off the charger at 6AM, fairly normal day of use (including push email), didn't touch a charger all day. Now it's 11PM and I'm at 45%. That seems right about on track with what I was getting before the update.

Day 3: lighter usage today, but after a full day I'm sitting at 77% battery on my Lumia 1520. I think that's the best it has ever done.

For those comparing settings to help figure out drain problems, here's what I have:
Wi-Fi: always on, and I work from home so it's usually using Wi-Fi.
BT: on, though not connecting to anything right now.
Push email: one work Exchange account set for push ("based on my usage"), two more set for hourly.
Service: US AT&T, almost always on an LTE band.

oakworth

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi,I noticed my AOL email account was using a lot in my background task so I deleted and left with my hotmail account to receive emails when they arrive. Then charged up before bed and 6 hours later the battery was on 93% so I do think its getting better, I also switched off the double tap to wake up the screen.

anon(5379091)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
Here with my L920 is something like this:

- Phone without use (stand by): Wifi on, Location off, Data off, Some apps background (FB, Whatsapp, Instagram, Weather Flow, Calendar, Store, Battery Performance), Cortana On ----> battery performance is something like 1% per hour, what is the same that I got in WP8.

-Using the phone (normal using like check FB, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc) ---> battery drains something like 16% per hour!!!

I have to assume that MAYBE is something related with the screen (probably the firmware updates by Nokia could solve this problem).

Well, we have to wait untill Nokia releases their updates... for now, lets keep our battery charger closer! :)

Indeed, that's exactly what I've observed. While my phone is idle I get something like 0.8% per hour, really low. However, when I'm just staring at the start screen my battery starts draining so fast, something like 1% per 6 minutes == 10% per hour.
Also I'm noticing that, according to battery saver, the highest battery consumptions occur when the apps are actually being used, not while in background.

Let's hope this can be addressed in future updates :sweaty:

Sabre Wulf

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a preview. There is no firmware update. Your screen, battery, network, WiFi, touch - nothing has been optimised. It is like never updating drivers on your new hardware. If your drivers aren't up to date, you aren't going to have an optimum function.

Everyone who wants out of the box superior or on par battery life to Windows Phone 8 - won't have it, no matter what you try. You will always need correct firmware update to make your hardware perform the best with new software. This was the case with GDR3 as well. That's why people wanted Black firmware more than anything else, because that had "solved" problems that weren't problems in the first place.

A bad battery without correct firmware - is a good sign.

Also if your apps are draining battery go check under battery saver, tap on the top battery using app and look at the bar for "in background" not when "in use".

Any of your highest battery draining app, drains your battery when it is being used. Not in background. This means, nothing is wrong with the update. Your hardware isn't optimised and hence when you use it you run out of juice.

Well, Microsoft are aware of the drain problem and are trying to diagnose it, so there clearly are issues with the update.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
After four days my battery life seems to have stabilized back to its original state back on 8.0. I still have everything set on "as items arrive" so will have to see if changing that to a 2 hour polling policy actually helps on battery savings.

This is on a 8X - I lose about 2% per hour on idle, which is actually less than the 5% loss I had on 8.0! So standby seems to be be improved. Battery died last night after 14 hours of use, which is good with my usage. :smile:

My friend's HTC 8S goes berserk though with this 8.1 loaded on it... But he's not using location services and runs only on 2G, so that probably has something to do with it, right?

wp_ss_20140418_0002.jpg

Still, he used to get roughly a day and a half out of it back on 8.0.

Another friend uses a Lumia 620 and his battery life is downright pitiful as some here are saying... So I'm not sure, but it sounds like a firmware update is needed, for some phones more then others.

pahutakz

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I tried idling my phone l820 for about 10 hours to test my battery consumption. before I start my test I just drain my battery and charge into full charge. here's my consumption screenshot on battery performance.

http://imgur.com/PE520jy

All apps are disabled on background except facebook, messenger and the store.

http://imgur.com/GGGVXAa

wifi, wifi sense, location, nfc, and data connection is also disabled and switched my network into 2G only.

http://imgur.com/UFByseI

Upon writing this commentary, my battery consumption is draining fast from 90% and drops quickly to 85% just without no data connection/wifi

I conclude that this is a serious bug but some people tell that they gain battery improvements. I hope the official update will release ASAP especially us who got small mAh battery.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm seeing about the same performance on my Icon as pre 8.1, 24+ hours with light to moderate usage.

Attachments

• phone battery usage 2014-04-16.jpg
    phone battery usage 2014-04-16.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 8

eashwar

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 720 and I'm impressed with my battery life before upgrading to wp 8.1 dev. After upgrading it's been a totally horrible relationship with my phone 📱. With WiFi 📶 ,3G and Bluetooth off and not much of a usage my phone gets 5 to 10 % decrease. While on a 2G call its getting reduced to 20% . Note that I'm in India and therefore no Cortana

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Seriously what is the point in having all these new features when they drain battery so much. I think phone manufacturers need to forget about high end specs and solve the battery issue which plagues many smartphones nowadays.

zany1

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
high battery drain after updating to WP 8.1 is not an isolated problem its all over the fourums

im pretty sure this is the problem with geofencing.

geofencing is a new feature in windows phone 8.1 the phone keeps on checking your location continuously even though the app doesn't require it example IE , whats app etc pretty much any app. this is just like using nokia drive for 4 hours and your battery dies. constant use of gps reduces battery life and heats up the phone for no reason.

when ever this feature is accessed the phone does this in the background( the location icon on the top bar is not displayed how i know this is because it says so in settings-location )

How do i know its the problem with geofencing

heres a little experiment you guys can try out ( please don't mock this post if you haven't tried this out)

turn off location and use your phone normally for a day and you'll notice the battery performance is like pre update. and phone doesnt heat too.

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Seriously what is the point in having all these new features when they drain battery so much. I think phone manufacturers need to forget about high end specs and solve the battery issue which plagues many smartphones nowadays.

Maybe learn how to configure it?
I got a L925 with preview 8.1 and I have better battery.

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Monday I updated my Icon and my wife's Icon to 8.1. Her Icon has all setting ON (wifi, wifi sense, location, etc, etc.) She's been playing with cortana and using the phone twice as me. Her Icon never experienced the heat up & battery drain, but mine works fine for a while until (most of times while idling in my pocket or over the desk) out of no-where begins to heat up and eats most of my battery. When I try to unlock it, it will tell me is "resuming" something. I soft reset it and works again until...
I've been reading all of the threads and trying all the solutions proposed (e-mail sync, etc, etc.).
Last night I took the two phones and went setting by setting. The only difference is that I set a personal picture for the background and she didn't.
I know it doesn't make any sense, but since I removed the background picture last night I have not experienced the warming/resuming/battery drain issue.
I love WP8.1 and when the phone is working "normally" my battery is similar to WP8.0. The problem is those random moments when it will get crazy and eat most of the battery in minutes.

EDIT: It wasn't that. It just got hot and went into "loading" mode again...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap