Battery life with WP 8.1

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
high battery drain after updating to WP 8.1 is not an isolated problem its all over the fourums

im pretty sure this is the problem with geofencing.

geofencing is a new feature in windows phone 8.1 the phone keeps on checking your location continuously even though the app doesn't require it example IE , whats app etc pretty much any app. this is just like using nokia drive for 4 hours and your battery dies. constant use of gps reduces battery life and heats up the phone for no reason.

when ever this feature is accessed the phone does this in the background( the location icon on the top bar is not displayed how i know this is because it says so in settings-location )

How do i know its the problem with geofencing

heres a little experiment you guys can try out ( please don't mock this post if you haven't tried this out)

turn off location and use your phone normally for a day and you'll notice the battery performance is like pre update. and phone doesnt heat too.

This somehow makes a lot of sense. I remember Android 4.4 draining like crazy with geofencing (or something like that in Google Now) before they fixed it. I'll give it a try.

Baranibaskaran

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
Am using 920 and after the update my battery is running down in just three hours of WhatsApp usage. Just WhatsApp and nothing else. Will we get any update?

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,
Am using 920 and after the update my battery is running down in just three hours of WhatsApp usage. Just WhatsApp and nothing else. Will we get any update?

Isn't whatsapp a power hog? I don't have any social apps and my battery life is pretty much the same on my 520. Last night I charged it to 100% and in the morning it dropped to 99%.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried a bunch of things, but my batter life is back to normal. During the first couple days the only thing that would even slow the battery drain down was Airplane mode.

Based on previous posters and some experimentation I am experiencing good battery life with the following:
1- Location services ON, but in all of the individual services that ask to use Location Services the setting is OFF (excepting Cortana).
2- Cortana on
3- Battery saver OFF - This thing was a constant battery suck.
4- Fixed my notification center heat/drain issues by changing all of the "default" sounds to a specific alert sound (could be a bug where it was trying to play a sound it didn't have)
5- Sync Settings (theme, favorites, etc.) all disabled
6- NFC Off
7- All apps that want to work in the background are off except Facebook, Twitter and Cortana.
8- Uninstalled all battery related apps
9- Reinstalled HD Weather.

Been using the phone pretty heavily today at I'm still at 73% at 2pm. The first couple of days with location services and wifi off I still was going dry by lunch.

Good luck, guys.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is the same if not better after a couple of days use.

I have more apps running in background than before and its giving me the same lifespan as GDR3

Plus the charging has improved as well. My phone now charges at 1% per minute or 60% per hour using the orginal charger.
Before it was like 50% every hour.

Last edited:

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920. Prior to the update, I would randomly have 'bad battery' days where it would drain quite dramatically while sitting on my desk at work.
All things the same, it would last all day and more some days, and then randomly loose juice for no apparent reason on other days.

Since the update, I can't say that my battery lasts longer than it did on the better days prior to the update, but I haven't had the random mass-exodus of juice that I had before.

I also have a 920 and experienced the same battery consistency.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a Lumia 925 and my battery life is most definitely worse after the 8.1 update. At first it didn't seem much different but now overnight I'm losing about 30%. I'm also seeing random drops from like 50% to 30%. I have location services turned off and it didn't seem to make much difference. At first I noticed if I had an IE11 window backgrounded the battery seemed to drain faster but now I don't know.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Those of you who factory reset and as a result have much better battery life, did you restore from a backup or start fresh?

My 620 has horrible battery life after the WP8.1 update, I factory reset and restored from a backup, and I still have the same horrible battery life.

If you start fresh, do you at least still get your text messages downloaded? I know when I swapped from my Lumia 521 to my Lumia 620, that my text messages migrated over.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Those of you who factory reset and as a result have much better battery life, did you restore from a backup or start fresh?

My 620 has horrible battery life after the WP8.1 update, I factory reset and restored from a backup, and I still have the same horrible battery life.

If you start fresh, do you at least still get your text messages downloaded? I know when I swapped from my Lumia 521 to my Lumia 620, that my text messages migrated over.
Yes battery life is definitely better when not restored from the backup. Btw you can get all your text messages back, in message settings the default is set to something like a month. You'll need to change that to pull down everything and it should restore all your backed up messages

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I disabled some things to help battery life. Cortana's not something I will be using alot so its disabled along with location services. Also made some other tweeks and have noticed a significant improvement in battery longevity. Anything I've disabled can be toggled back on in seconds so nothing lost really and something gained.

engineermoore

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
my average battery usage rate reported in battery sense has now settled to exactly what it was before 8.1. So it seems like with my usage there has been no change whatsoever. However, averages are not always a good measure. It seems to me that my phone is more efficient than it was when im not using it but that it is draining faster when I do use it so it works out about the same.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just a word of encouragement...after 1 week on 8.1, and after having serious battery drain issues, my Ativ S has normalized. Actually I think it has improved a bit.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The problem with disabling location services outright, there are certain apps that I want to be able to use it when needed; specifically, Bing Weather (which is on my lockscreen, so I get the weather for where I am), and maps. I wish I could leave location services on, but disable geofencing. I've disabled Cortana to disable geofencing for the time being.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoresAdrowe