Battery life with WP 8.1

chandan_pandey

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Was having a battery drain issue.. After a week off update it's solved.. Just kept phone off network connectivity for two straight nights.. Consumption reduced to 4.9 from 8

rc2080

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, you're right. My battery consumption today with data on and my usual amount of phone usage had been back to pre-8.1 levels. That's so weird!

Going to try an overnight with the data on in a few days.

Anojan Sivam

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Guys here's the tip for a superb battery life !!!!
Firstly downgrade ur phone by NSRT or NSU
secondly update again without any apps ( but keep ur back up on)
Finally do a hard reset and take ur apps !!!!
It will work 🏢

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have done a hard reset, no change in battery life. But with the battery saver on all the time and apps allowed even when battery saver is on, I got really good battery life, more than 8.0 I think.

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I think the battery meter reading is not working properly. I was at 90% on my Icon, soft rest, then it was at 100%. 10 minutes later with no use, 98%.

EDIT: 30 minutes later, still at 98%.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys think the battery issue will be resolved in the Windows Phone 8.1 devices? One of the reasons i left WP (hopefully temp) was because of the horrendous battery drain.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
After several days of great battery life (averaging around 3-4% per hour on my Icon). I had some sudden battery drains today. I checked Battery Saver and noticed that Internet Explorer was chewing up power like it's nobody's business. It's actually using a lot more power per hour than Subway Surfers is. Although, via one of my kids, I found out that Angry Birds Go is even worse. I can play Subway Surfers and get around 9-12% loss per hour. Not bad. I'm getting close to that after about 15 minutes with IE. It seems that IE 11 can get stuck doing something intensive. It doesn't appear to do this all of the time, but it's consistently one of my worst offenders. I can use Facebook and Twitter without nearly the same amount of drain. My news apps (like Fox and USA Today) don't drain anywhere near the amount IE is doing.

I suspect we have a number of issues with apps and firmware going on causing these sudden battery drains. When these things don't get stuck, I'm seeing better battery life out of 8.1. But when they do, it hurts. MS really needs to build in a facility in the OS to see when a service is getting stuck on and draining battery rapidly. It should then be able to be set to either automatically kill the process or ask the user if they want to kill it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
A couple of days ago, I used my 810 which I haven't in nearly a year. It's my only Windows Phone that I've updated to 8.1 thus far. I charged it fully that morning I used it and continued using it throughout the day. The battery wasn't too terrible. It reached somewhere in the 60s range by night, but I couldn't stop playing around with it as I wanted to test out 8.1 (I updated kind of late compared to others around here). I might swap my SIM out of my 925 and back into the 810 tomorrow to see how it fares all day again.

jgservices

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I really hope the Nokia acquisition brings together the WP development team and hardware so that the problems people are posting on here disappear. THey have talent, now they need to brainstorm. Games are awful for battery life, the MS Solitaire suite drains the battery faster than using a Nokia USB charger!! Like what the hell??

After reading an article like this:
iOS 7.1.1 brings huge battery life improvements for iPhone users

They really REALLY need to go over and run extensive testing to many different types of users going forward. User feedback and testing is king and the info they can provide would be gold if they really use it to optimize.

Here's to hoping!

underrtow

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Guys with battery drains, check out having either data or wifi on but never both and see if it helps. I had 20% drains with everything off and now, using this method its greatly improved.

swedefox

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As others have commented, my battery life initially rapidly deteriorated upon install of wp8.1. That said, after a few recharge cycles my battery life is about 90% of what it was with wp8. I chalk that up to Cortana and wp8.1 still being essentially a beta. Since I have a Lumia 1520, I have battery life to spare thankfully...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the battery meter reading is not working properly. I was at 90% on my Icon, soft rest, then it was at 100%. 10 minutes later with no use, 98%.

EDIT: 30 minutes later, still at 98%.

I've noticed the same... Sometimes just restarting or soft resting my phone causes the battery indicator to jump dramatically, by as much as 15%! I once was at 48%, then restarted my device, and suddenly I'm down to 29%!!! Crazy!!!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys think the battery issue will be resolved in the Windows Phone 8.1 devices? One of the reasons i left WP (hopefully temp) was because of the horrendous battery drain.

Seeing as 8.1 devices will be fully optimized for 8.1, hardware firmware and all, they should almost definitely perform much better than current devices. Current devices should also improve in regards to battery life once they get updated firmware.

Clodderes

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's the same with me. My 920 also become hot when in use. And the battery life worsened considerably. I can't even get a decent standby time anymore.

FORZa_PS

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
urgent help for 620 lumia

Iv been using wp8.1 on my 620 since the day after it came out and only experienced battery issues during the 1st week (this was remedied by turning screen sensitivity to normal from high and turning off night mode). today however my phone is refusing to work however after i dropped it and took the sim out and put it back in again. it refuses to turn on with the case on (turn on with it off) and randomly reboots itself a few times before turning off. if i try charging it, it says the battery is dead, despite having 89% charge left this morning (after charging it yesterday). please help me out?
(fyi, the phone i have had for less than a year, would it be possible to get it fixed as nokia says wp8.1 voids the warranty whereas microsoft says it doesnt).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatboy7000