Battery life with WP 8.1

Brien Downie

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: windows 8.1 drain more battery

I've found that the battery meter isn't calibrated correctly. It went down from 100% to 5% In about two hours, but its been at 5% for the past 8hrs, and with pretty heavy use (60mins of streaming music, 30mins streaming video, etc.) hoping the battery will be recalibrated after this charge!

russshoe

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
100 % at 11PM 74@ at 5am this morning the phone was mot used all might, sat in locked mode. I did a full reset as soon as 8.i was installed battery life about the same Lumina 1020

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After 3 or 4 recharges since I updated to WP 8.1 I noticed that battery life is pretty much on par with 8.0.

Here is what I did to significantly improve my battery life in WP 8.1.

1. After using Cortana for 2 days and noticing a serious drop in battery life I disabled it yesterday and noticed a drastic improvement in battery life

2. I deleted and readded my Gmail account. I also set it to check for mail every 30 minutes.

I have WPCentral, Skype, WhatsApp and Battery Saver running in the background

Here is a a screenshot from Battery Saver

wp_ss_20140417_0001.jpg

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think changing the syncing of email is what helped my battery life. I have been at 100% for almost a half hour now. That is saying alot, because before I would have been in the mid 90s by now. We will see how it goes by the end of the day.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Last night I turned off every background task, turned off location and turned off Cortana. 30% drain overnight. Yikes! Hope they get a fix for this soon.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
1- email is changed to "items as arrive"
2 - all background apps are "not allowed"
3- location services "disabled"
4 - many soft resets

and still my battery is draining.

even in 7 hours sleep, %40 is gone!!!!

anyone with solution??? :(
Change your email to sync periodically, so every 15/30/60 mins or daily. It really improved my battery life.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Yes, it is draining your battery fast(er). Keep in mind that you're running a stock Microsoft version of Windows Phone 8.1 with generic drivers and no manufacturer firmware / optimization.

I updated my Lumia 925 on monday and the drain was scary. unlike some others on here i haven't adjusted any settings in battery saver and my phones battery life is now starting to normalise to pre update usage.

i think that optimised drivers and firmware will help in this matter but it is worth being patient and giving it a few days for the phone to settle down.

Although judging by the usage below Whatsapp need some serious work.

wp_ss_20140417_0002.png

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a question regarding email accounts:
which one's more battery friendly: updating every 2 hours or as items arrive?

From my experience, I've found the 'as item arrives' option to be less battery friendly. Also, how come I don't have an option for every 2 hours, only 15, 30, 60 and daily?

CharlieBoy1894

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I saw on another thread that disabling the background task of battery saver removes battery train. I wonder if this is worth a shot. I'm scared that if I disable it, it wont record the usage of other apps anymore.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, WP is an OS that improves battery with time as it learns and optimizes itself. I'd assume 8.1 is the same.

And yeah, Cortana does seem to be a battery hog. My hope is that the fact she's supposed to learn with time means shell use battery more efficiently with time. Also, backend updates could greatly reduce battery consumption, without the need for OTA updates.

plnoyr

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

In addition to the usual tweaking of running background tasks, I have turned WiFi Sense off, as well as automatically connect to hotspots provided by my mobile operator option. I have noticed that my battery performance is about what it was in 8.0. I also noticed that backing out of battery sense doesn't close the app, you have to long press back and then x out or down swipe to close it, which might be adding to battery drain as well. I also read in another thread that someone changed their email sync settings from based on my usage to another setting and noticed increased battery life. Hope this helps!

Xin SHI

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
My 920 became worse, too. I just put it on the desk with full charged before going to bed, and when i wake up in the morning, only 20% battery remained !

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is a preview. There is no firmware update. Your screen, battery, network, WiFi, touch - nothing has been optimised. It is like never updating drivers on your new hardware. If your drivers aren't up to date, you aren't going to have an optimum function.

Everyone who wants out of the box superior or on par battery life to Windows Phone 8 - won't have it, no matter what you try. You will always need correct firmware update to make your hardware perform the best with new software. This was the case with GDR3 as well. That's why people wanted Black firmware more than anything else, because that had "solved" problems that weren't problems in the first place.

A bad battery without correct firmware - is a good sign.

Also if your apps are draining battery go check under battery saver, tap on the top battery using app and look at the bar for "in background" not when "in use".

Any of your highest battery draining app, drains your battery when it is being used. Not in background. This means, nothing is wrong with the update. Your hardware isn't optimised and hence when you use it you run out of juice.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Actually turning off WiFi sense made a huge improvement for me, I've gone back to manually toggling on/off when I leave my Wi-Fi for more than a few hours

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCC