Battery life with WP 8.1

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
After I did a soft reset my time since last charge on battery saver keeps on saying 'less than an hour' even though it's like 3 hours now. Anyone know how can I fix this?

I've seen this, too, but it usually starts counting again from the reset time. Maybe try fully charging it and see what happens.

Shimi Al Afasy

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
windows 8.1 drain more battery

Windows 8.1 drain my battery very fast... i just remove charger and play 20 minutes.. my battery goes down to 89%.. do you also like me?

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: windows 8.1 drain more battery

Windows 8.1 drain my battery very fast... i just remove charger and play 20 minutes.. my battery goes down to 89%.. do you also like me?
No, I don't like you! I don't even know you! :evil:

On a serious note: Yes, it is draining your battery fast(er). Keep in mind that you're running a stock Microsoft version of Windows Phone 8.1 with generic drivers and no manufacturer firmware / optimization.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Nokia Lumia 920 here and with me is The same problem... My battery drains faster now! I Just check emails, whatsapp, Facebook and decreases 10%... TERRIBLE! Now I disabled almost everything in background and even Cortana... Lets see how it goes

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is definitely worse. I attributed day 1 usage to my constant fiddling with all the new features and cortana. Day 2 I resumed normal usage and noticed my battery was draining much faster. I went through and made sure only essential background services were allowed. I again checked usage and noticed that cortana was still eating a ton of data. I decided to turn off all of my "interests" so cortana wasn't trying to update them. Cortana is still on but not pulling so much data. Day 3 and within 2.5 hours I've only lost 5% and that's from some light texting, Facebook and about 30 minutes of listening to music. That seems about right. I think battery life is the sacrifice we have to pay for a service like cortana and all the additional data intensive services included in 8.1. I can still get a full day so I'm not that worried. Also, constantly checking my battery is also killing my battery. :grin:

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I definitely think Cortana is to blame for the battery drain. I noticed on my Lumia 1520 that when it gets really hot, I unlock the phone and find that it's trying to resume something. Once it goes to the home screen I hold the back button and see a few apps are open that I know were not opened before. (Calendar, people hub) My only conclusion is that Cortana is accessing these apps in some way and they now appear as open. Basically a new way 8.1 handles cortana and multitasking.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
According to Battery Saver the largest consumer of power is....Battery Saver.

My Lumia Icon gets hot when I turn Battery Saver on.

So far I've disabled wifi, location and battery saver. My phone still occasionally gets very hot while it's in my pocket and when I go to my lock screen it's trying to resume something.
I have to believe this is Cortana trying to reach Calendar or some other app.

Even with Cortana disabled I'm seeing periods where the phone randomly gets very hot and chugs through the battery life for no obvious reason.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
After 2nd full day with WP 8.1 I think battery is more or less the same. It might be even better if I didn't use Cortana. So far so good with WP 8.1 on my Lumia 820.

IgorVysoky

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one who did not notice this? I've got a 520 too, and in my experience, battery life is on par, or even better, than before. I usually have WiFi and 3G data connected, BT off, been playing around a lot with Cortana, and my phone was down to 35% last night, after update (truth is, I kept trying the Store every 10-15 minutes to get some of my apps back...). Now, it's been mostly idle (some FB chat and installing apps), and it's down to 94%

You are not the only one. I find my Lumia 520 doing better then before. Not just battery but whole OS experience.

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem in my Icon. It gets hot occasionally, even if it is idle and the resuming issue. I installed 8.1 in my wife's Icon and it's working perfect. We have pretty much the same apps installed. The only difference I can think is that I set a picture en my background and she didn't. I removed the picture this morning and so far I have not experienced the hot nor the resuming. I just removed my battery app also (I don't need it anymore with the action center). I'm still looking for differences between my phone and hers, but can't tell of any. She's been playing with Cortana a lot more than me, and she gets normal battery life...

azlkk

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Guys, if you experience battery drain on you Lumias report it to Microsoft by posting Battery Saver screenshots using this thread

Battery draining faster after windowsphone 8.1 update

Here is a response from the Windows Phone Tech regarding the battery drain issue in WP 8.1

"Hello Everyone,
The first day after updating your device you can expect some battery consumption due to the reinstallation of all applications and normal restoration that may occur post update.
In addition, if you can please also go to Settings -> Email + Accounts and see if any accounts are stuck in sync mode. There could be an account sync issue that is occurring. You can stop the sync and re-add the account to see if it resolves your issue or if the primary account simply restart the phone.

Thank you,
Eli A.

Windows Phone Support - Tech Lead"
The problem with my Lumia 920 was an email account stuck on constantly synching. Killing the account and restarting it stopped the rapid battery drain and heating.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I happened to notice that in the Battery Saver app (not the Battery Saver control panel), about 20 to 25 of my apps where set to being allowed to run in the background after the update. So you may want to have a look in there. Scroll to the bottom of the list and look at the list of all apps. A lot of apps will have status allowed. I don't know if they are draining battery but it looks like something that could be investigated. :)

EDIT: I guess the app is the same as the control panel.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I can't wait for some optimization updates to all my apps and of course firmware optimization...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I had bad battery drain on Monday, the first day I installed it on my 920. It got better yesterday, and I had no issues.

dsmpampis

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site

For me at the other side is almost the same as on black update. I didn't notice any battery drain.

Tapatalked with my Lumia 920

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site

I had bad battery drain on Monday, the first day I installed it on my 920. It got better yesterday, and I had no issues.

Same observation here. Monday was pretty bad (had to charge it in the afternoon. Never happened before for my 1020). Tuesday is better. Today is even better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesseinsf