Blu ray playback

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine a bluray drive shipping without software to play video off of it. You can always DL the ultra violet version :) lol, I still think HDDVD was the better format.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine a bluray drive shipping without software to play video off of it. You can always DL the ultra violet version :) lol, I still think HDDVD was the better format.

Well, if it doesn't, what do I do? Vlc and windows media center only support DVDs. And hddvds were never better. There were more blu rays than hd DVDs when they were fighting.

And what do you mean by DL the ultraviolet version?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, if it doesn't, what do I do? Vlc and windows media center only support DVDs. And hddvds were never better. There were more blu rays than hd DVDs when they were fighting.

And what do you mean by DL the ultraviolet version?

The "ultra violet" comment was meant as a joke... Many BD's come with ultra violet, where u can DL the movie and use the digital version to push to your phone/mobile device... They make it sound all great and dandy, but UV comes with DRM and you have to DL the movie within x days from the movies release on BD... It's a BS ploy to soften the blow of not being able to just rip the movie and do with it what u want... Although there are alternatives ;)

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay. It comes with software. All good. Also, I could also get the Vso media player for free.

But the question is, does it work with windows 8?

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe VLC media player supports Blu-ray.

VLC only plays non encrypted Blu-rays, meaning only Blu-rays that you've burned yourself and not the ones that you buy. I have a VAIO pc that came with a Blu-ray burner running windows 8. The software that I used on windows 7 still works on windows 8.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
VLC only plays non encrypted Blu-rays, meaning only Blu-rays that you've burned yourself and not the ones that you buy. I have a VAIO pc that came with a Blu-ray burner running windows 8. The software that I used on windows 7 still works on windows 8.

Awesome, now I'm more confident!!

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay. It comes with software. All good. Also, I could also get the Vso media player for free.

But the question is, does it work with windows 8?

VSO doesn't play encrypted BDs, same problem as VLC. In the comments on amazon, the guy mentioned that he used it with passkey for DVDFab, which costs 40$...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it's trial software :/ From one of the reviews: "Trial software packages to play blu-rays and do other media related things were
included with the drive but I did not use them"

If it is trial software, it must have a way to buy it, which I will if it works well.

Last edited:

K_lando

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I know for certain Plextor includes software (not trials... usually a slimmed down version that doesn't include all bells and whistles, just basic software for playback).

I have bought 2 Plextor blu-ray drives in the past... one internal and one external. The external goes for about $100...
Amazon.com: Plextor - PX-B120U - Bd-rom Drive - 24x (cd) / 8x (dvd) / 4x (bd) - Usb 2.0 - External: Computers & Accessories

It is chunky, not slim, and its a reader only, no write... but I liked the weird form factor (looks like some old school CD player from the 90s) and it was all I really needed.

I didn't use the software it came with though (pretty sure it was PowerDVD? But could have been WinDVD, I forget) because I already have ArcSoft Total Media Theater installed on my PCs. I also have an external HD-DVD drive (The Xbox one, I bought for SUPER cheap) and Total Media was the only program that could do DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

Also, if you're talking about burning BDs, not just playback, realize you'll need separate software for that as well.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I know for certain Plextor includes software (not trials... usually a slimmed down version that doesn't include all bells and whistles, just basic software for playback).

I have bought 2 Plextor blu-ray drives in the past... one internal and one external. The external goes for about $100...
Amazon.com: Plextor - PX-B120U - Bd-rom Drive - 24x (cd) / 8x (dvd) / 4x (bd) - Usb 2.0 - External: Computers & Accessories

It is chunky, not slim, and its a reader only, no write... but I liked the weird form factor (looks like some old school CD player from the 90s) and it was all I really needed.

I didn't use the software it came with though (pretty sure it was PowerDVD? But could have been WinDVD, I forget) because I already have ArcSoft Total Media Theater installed on my PCs. I also have an external HD-DVD drive (The Xbox one, I bought for SUPER cheap) and Total Media was the only program that could do DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

Also, if you're talking about burning BDs, not just playback, realize you'll need separate software for that as well.

Well the Samsung doesn't just do more (read and writes), it costs less too.

stevenjoen

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

VLC only plays non encrypted Blu-rays ,you could try to use UFUSoft Blu-ray Player ,it can play Blu-ray Discs/ISO on windows 7/8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786