Buy a new Lumia, or wait, or jump ship?

David MacdAj

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 has finally croaked. All I'm left with is a Lumia 535, which is used to be owned by my brother before he jumped ship to iOS last year. Damn, the 535 is a crappy piece of hardware due to its abysmal touch screen! Clearly, MS have learned nothing from Lumia 520's success.
It seems the Surface Phone is still an uncertain project, and if it does exist, it's likely be sometime in 2018 the earliest when it sees daylight. What do you suggest me do in the meantime?

1.) Buy a Lumia 950XL that's currently on sale for a discounted price and hope that Windows 10 on ARM has BC with WP8 (non-UWP) apps.
or,
2.) Hold on to the Lumia 535 and endure until Satya Nadella clarifies MS' mobile plans and hopefully deliver some good news for WP/WM users.
or,
3.) Just give in to Google fans, join the Android community and start all over scouring Google Play store for replacement apps.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Your choice.
If you love WP get the 950.
If you want apps go for Android.

Other than that I don't know what to say.
I'm sure others will have plenty to say :)

Edit:
Those 535's are absolute junk...I had one.
Worst smartphone experience of my life.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd recommend 1) or 3). I wouldn't wait on any announcement by Microsoft. If there is one, it will probably not be very defining. And if an announcement does come and is defining, it will probably be too far out in the future to rely on a Lumia 535 until then. (Can you tell that my confidence is low? :amaze: )

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Wait 2-3 weeks for the Mobile World Congress. IF W10M doesn't produce anything interesting there (new phones, software announcements, ANYTHING PLEASE GOD), then abandon ship. You've got the 535 at least, can you hold out a bit?

David MacdAj

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Wait 2-3 weeks for the Mobile World Congress. IF W10M doesn't produce anything interesting there (new phones, software announcements, ANYTHING PLEASE GOD), then abandon ship. You've got the 535 at least, can you hold out a bit?
I can try but truth be told, the 535 often drove me almost insane due its ****ty touch screen performance. Why was this phone ever designated as 520's successor, only God knows why.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

From what Dan has said, it's very unlikely that anything will come out of MWC.

I second giving the 950XL a try. I recently got a 950, and I'm glad that I got it now.

rufus07

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Buy a new Lumia, or wait, or jump ship?Il

:unhappy:I resigned! Using Lumia for several years, latest 1520 with W10. Although I love the OS and layout, I do need apps for different use. MS is not providing the necessary apps and neither supporting those who would deliver apps regardless of how the OS is represented in the mobile market (in my country about 1%). I am sorry to say, but in a week or so I am part of the Android community. Byby...:unhappy:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Wait 2-3 weeks for the Mobile World Congress.

Good advice.

Microsoft has been quiet far too long regarding the lines of definition.
I'd be surprised to see them have a strong presence in Barcelona at all from what I see looking around the MWC 2017 website.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
From what Dan has said, it's very unlikely that anything will come out of MWC.

From Microsoft, the way they are ignoring mobile hardware I would not be surprised. It looks like HP will be there, so hopefully they have the rumored consumer phone. Sounds like Cerulean won't be there.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
From Microsoft, the way they are ignoring mobile hardware I would not be surprised. It looks like HP will be there, so hopefully they have the rumored consumer phone. Sounds like Cerulean won't be there.

That's a fair point. We will see if it appears for HP. I forgot about that rumor actually. At the same time, I think it's dangerous to put a lot of stock in a rumor that can be pushed back and delayed. (I'm not saying that this is your case, just a general statement.)

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

:unhappy:I resigned! Using Lumia for several years, latest 1520 with W10. Although I love the OS and layout, I do need apps for different use. MS is not providing the necessary apps and neither supporting those who would deliver apps regardless of how the OS is represented in the mobile market (in my country about 1%). I am sorry to say, but in a week or so I am part of the Android community. Byby...:unhappy:

Same for me, love the OS and layout, but Win10M is going nowhere fast, all that is happening is that the speed that apps are being removed from the platform is accelerating. If Microsoft come up with a category defining product at some point in the future, then I'll probably look again, but I fear that most if not all current handsets will not make the leap to the next big thing, I fully expect Microsoft to come out with the next iteration of Windows Mobile (probably still called 10 for obvious reasons) which will not be available for older hardware, hence the reason to offload my L950 now before it becomes completely worthless. My Android phone arrives tomorrow, after I sent the first one back, as the white bezel made viewing media quite odd after using a totally black L950 for the last year or so.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Same for me, love the OS and layout, but Win10M is going nowhere fast, all that is happening is that the speed that apps are being removed from the platform is accelerating. If Microsoft come up with a category defining product at some point in the future, then I'll probably look again, but I fear that most if not all current handsets will not make the leap to the next big thing, I fully expect Microsoft to come out with the next iteration of Windows Mobile (probably still called 10 for obvious reasons) which will not be available for older hardware, hence the reason to offload my L950 now before it becomes completely worthless. My Android phone arrives tomorrow, after I sent the first one back, as the white bezel made viewing media quite odd after using a totally black L950 for the last year or so.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone.

OP, everyone has to do what is best for them. We all have unique needs. Only you know what you should do.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

GN_Will

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
You could buy a lumia 550 or 650, they're cheap. You can decide to invest on a high end Windows device once there's clarity on the future of windows phone.

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site

Nokia P1 is supposed to be coming soon.

He never asked about Nokias though :p

By the way, what's the deal with the 535 receiving so much hate? 😀 Mine 535 is my first Windows Phone, bought it a year and 1 month ago, has been my daily driver since then, even typing that on it and I have always loved it. My only complaint is the screen getting dirty easily.

So, I recommend staying with it.

Sent from mTalk

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I would't bother with any new non-Windows Nokia phones, they're Nokia in name only, and are manufactured by HMD in China.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria