Can I get some help with a wifi related question?

Nirwiz

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Wi-Fi related Questions

When will windows phone get static ip configuration options ,WPS features ,adhoc wi-fi file transfer ,if they are present in win 8.1 how to configure them ,can we expect it in windows 10 ,and if Microsoft people are reading it please consider this

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Wi-Fi related Questions

I still maintain there's no need for a phone to have a static IP in a correctly-configured network environment. But some people seem to need it. Pretty sure I saw a thread where someone had the option to configure it. May have been device/ROM/country dependent though. A search for "static IP" in the forums might turn it up.
WPS seems to work.
Ad-hoc Wi-Fi transfer? Well, they're still not able to satisfy a large number of people who state that Bluetooth transfer is a "must have". Wi-Fi direct may come after that I guess.

Nirwiz

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

i have a scenario ,i am hiding my SSID f, so what are the ways to connect to it via a windows phone , lateron i connect multiple i.e differnet internet connections to switch (using cables) and lateron an access point is connected to that switch using a cable , now how would i be able to connect to a particular SSID and a very particular default gateway and DNS as well ,note subnet is same

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Make (a) SSID visible. There's really no point hiding them. You're just making life difficult for yourself :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

Also make sure your broadcast channel are correct. You can always consult your ISP for details. Usually these are 1, 6, 11

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

ISP's aren't generally involved in what choice of WLAN channel a customer uses - they'll probably just recommend Auto (which dependent on a whole raft factors, either works quite well, or not at all).
In fact, that's been the thing with a lot of wireless stuff, whatever type, over the years - all or nothing.
For home users, something like InSSIDer can be quite a useful little program to run and may help you choose a least-interfered channel etc.
One other sneak is that Wi-Fi access points have a "region" setting. Depending where you are, that may configure the access point to broadcast on channels the local regulator forbids. Those channels are generally a lot emptier, just saying 😉 and no changes are needed for Wi-Fi clients to connect to them.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site

ISP's aren't generally involved in what choice of WLAN channel a customer uses - they'll probably just recommend Auto (which dependent on a whole raft factors, either works quite well, or not at all).

In fact, that's been the thing with a lot of wireless stuff, whatever type, over the years - all or nothing.

For home users, something like InSSIDer can be quite a useful little program to run and may help you choose a least-interfered channel etc.

One other sneak is that Wi-Fi access points have a "region" setting. Depending where you are, that may configure the access point to broadcast on channels the local regulator forbids. Those channels are generally a lot emptier, just saying 😉 and no changes are needed for Wi-Fi clients to connect to them.

Wasn't saying the ISP is responsible for wireless channel just said contact them for details ie help in making sure their WiFi channel is set properly. I didnt mean ISP only broadcast in certain channels.

I've found if set to auto you do encounter alot of connection issues, whereas when connected to a specific channel connections become more stable as when its set to auto its scanning all the time making sure devices remain connected and sometimes in this process wireless connections become lost. Also some WiFi devices can only receive signals on certain channels, a device that can only receive signal on channel 1 or 6 is nothing going to catch a router broadcasting on 7 or 10. So yes channel plays a critical part in the users WLAN.

Also my ISP is UPC Ireland and they never suggest auto as they know how cumbersome it is. I have my wireless at channel 6 and it works like a dream.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos