Clarification on Nokia-Specific Features

dmagic17

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between an 8X and Lumia 822 right now. Obviously it comes down to the design of the 8X vs. the Nokia support/features and camera. I'm not super-picky about the camera quality as long as it gets the job done, but, coming from an Andoird, I am interested in the Nokia features like Glance, which seem to resemble active notifications from Android.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of some of the increased functionality that has come along with the last few (and still to come - Black) updates? I'm particularly interested in what the Glance functionality is like - how it works, what it shows you, etc.

Also - I assume it will get 8.1?

Thanks!

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to decide between an 8X and Lumia 822 right now. Obviously it comes down to the design of the 8X vs. the Nokia support/features and camera. I'm not super-picky about the camera quality as long as it gets the job done, but, coming from an Andoird, I am interested in the Nokia features like Glance, which seem to resemble active notifications from Android.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of some of the increased functionality that has come along with the last few (and still to come - Black) updates? I'm particularly interested in what the Glance functionality is like - how it works, what it shows you, etc.

Also - I assume it will get 8.1?

Thanks!

currently the glace feature does not have notifications, however, it is suppose to support it with the release of "Black" in early 2014, where i believe it will support up to 5 diff apps, (email, text whatsapp ect) i'm not sure if exclusive to "Amber" but it also brought double tap to wake, flip to silence, call and text block, as far as the 8X vs the 822 goes, the 8X is a great phone,and is actually the better of the two phones, the problem with the 8X is really the lack of support form HTC for any of their devices, not necessarily referring to system updates, but unique apps for their phones, heck Samsung does a better job in support of their devices than HTC, HTC built a great phone in the 8X, its a shame they haven't done anything worth mentioning to support it since its release. truth be told, if you want after purchase support for your device than Nokia is really your only choice, they are superb in supporting and continuing development for their devices, Samsung does every now and then push out new features for current devices but its really hit or miss with them, really at current, good or bad, Nokia is really the way to go if your going to buy a WP, and yes as of now, ALL WP8 will get blue (8.1)

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
And yeah, Nokia's customizability and features beat all the windows phones. And it will probably get 8.1, Microsoft wouldn't screw us over again. :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that people don't think about is that because the 8x has a 720p display, and apps for WP7 were created with WXGA, a different aspect ratio, all apps that are still using the WP7 SDK will have letterboxing - black bands at the top and/or bottom (I don't recall which - top, bottom, or both, as I don't have an 8x). The 822 being a WXGA phone, doesn't have the letterboxing, and the 928, being a 1280x768 phone (same aspect ratio as the WXGA) also does not have this. So, if you'll be using it primarily for watching HD movies, you may be better served with the 8x. If you'll be primarily using other apps, you may be better served with a Nokia. It is all a matter of your preference and what you're willing to give up to get what you want. But this information is good to know before you make the purchase.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
No, it only supports clock not battery. If you get the Glance Beta App it will display an image of your choice too.

actually there is a battery indicator when charging on the glace screen right above the displayed time, if your referring to a notification of battery status (percent or discharge rate) then you are correct, it will also show you if your phone is in vibrate only mode

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that people don't think about is that because the 8x has a 720p display, and apps for WP7 were created with WXGA, a different aspect ratio, all apps that are still using the WP7 SDK will have letterboxing - black bands at the top and/or bottom (I don't recall which - top, bottom, or both, as I don't have an 8x). The 822 being a WXGA phone, doesn't have the letterboxing, and the 928, being a 1280x768 phone (same aspect ratio as the WXGA) also does not have this. So, if you'll be using it primarily for watching HD movies, you may be better served with the 8x. If you'll be primarily using other apps, you may be better served with a Nokia. It is all a matter of your preference and what you're willing to give up to get what you want. But this information is good to know before you make the purchase.

it was my understanding that this was corrected by HTC with a firmware update, i may be mistaken of course

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
actually there is a battery indicator when charging on the glace screen right above the displayed time, if your referring to a notification of battery status (percent or discharge rate) then you are correct, it will also show you if your phone is in vibrate only mode
I really didn't see the need to point out that there is a battery monitor when it's charging as the user didn't specify features when charging. If this had been pointed out in the initial post it would have been useful.
This now concludes glance features.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I really didn't see the need to point out that there is a battery monitor when it's charging as the user didn't specify features when charging. If this had been pointed out in the initial post it would have been useful.
This now concludes glance features.

being the fact that the OP didnt specify either with or without charging i really dont see the point of your comment either, this now concludes your idiotic comment

AdamHunterATC

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
If Glance is your only reason for considering the 822, then I'd go with the 8X. But I was in the same boat (buying an 822 or 8X from CL/Ebay... they go for about the same price), and I chose the 822. Why?...

1. They both have 16GB of storage, but the 822 has expandable memory for music and photos.
2. The 822 has a user-replaceable battery in case the original one craps out.
3. Nokia is bullish on improving the WP experience. Glance is cool, but you also get access to lots of other things like Nokia Camera, MixRadio, Refocus, etc. Also, Lumia phones often get exclusive access to apps early for a short period of time. For instance, I think Redbox Instant is a Lumia-exclusive for a certain amount of time.
4. Nokia support seems to be awesome.
5. Other cool features like ClearBlack (the screen is still very readable in direct sunlight), the high sensitivity screen (can be used with gloves), etc.

The 8X has a higher-resolution screen, better external speakers, Beats Audio, and a sexier design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb