Complete recovery/clean install: how-to?

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been running W8 Pro for a couple of months on my personal laptop now. I was able to legally get a download image and product.

Although I'm very happy with how W8 operates, I want to start clean with W8 on my personal laptop.

I've tried a complete recovery via USB. But I get an error halfway through the process that a recovery file can't be found (though I copied the files via the wizard to the USB).

When I try to recover without USB via PC-Settings (translated from Dutch, guess that's the name, Metro-style app), I also get a notification: "Some files are missing.".

And that's it...

What can I do?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You are setting up the install media as the Win8 install begins, correct? If so, try a different machine and start the install on that device. You can select the make install media for later option and nothing will change on the current device.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You are setting up the install media as the Win8 install begins, correct? If so, try a different machine and start the install on that device. You can select the make install media for later option and nothing will change on the current device.

Wait, you're going a bit to fast.

I'll explain a bit more about my situation:

I have an image file of W8 Pro and a valid key. I got this months ago.

I want to do a complete reset, but for this, I need installation media (or so W8P says).

So I don't get how I can install this media on a different machine, as my other machine doesn't have W8P.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Wait, you're going a bit to fast.

I'll explain a bit more about my situation:

I have an image file of W8 Pro and a valid key. I got this months ago.

I want to do a complete reset, but for this, I need installation media (or so W8P says).

So I don't get how I can install this media on a different machine, as my other machine doesn't have W8P.

how did you get the image file? I just got an option to install now or install later from desktop. Would love to get an image file but how??

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Business contacts.

Anyway, can you help me out?

The image file IS the installation media. You just need to burn the image file on a dvd, or extract it as a boot drive using external media such as USB flash drives. From there you need can boot from it on another computer.

how did you get the image file? I just got an option to install now or install later from desktop. Would love to get an image file but how??

Weird, I had 3 options, Install Now, Install later, Save as image file. But if you upgraded from Windows 7 > 8, then its possible that the files used by the Upgrade Assistant is still there. To get the image file, you need to run the assistant again, and select save as image file.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The image file IS the installation media. You just need to burn the image file on a dvd, or extract it as a boot drive using external media such as USB flash drives. From there you need can boot from it on another computer.

I have an external HDD. What file(s) do I need to copy to the HDD?

Sounds like we're getting there!

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Weird, I had 3 options, Install Now, Install later, Save as image file. But if you upgraded from Windows 7 > 8, then its possible that the files used by the Upgrade Assistant is still there. To get the image file, you need to run the assistant again, and select save as image file.

I think I didn't get the 3rd option maybe because I was upgrading from XP. Anyway, will try running the upgrade assistant again to see if it will give me the save file option

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have an external HDD. What file(s) do I need to copy to the HDD?

Sounds like we're getting there!

I wouldn't recommend using an external hdd, you only need at least 4gb USB stick. Then you need to download Windows 7 USB/DVD tool - its free. Install and run the app, and should be easy from there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999