Confused with memory card class for my NL 620

Fatfox G

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Planning to buy a new memory card for my Nokia Lumia 620 with wp 8.1 dp enabled. Currently I'm using SanDisk 8 GB class 4 memory card. Usually I use it to store documents, photos and music. But once I read an article which said that wp 8.1 will need at least class 6 memory card and it is recommended to use class 10. Till now I haven't come across any such problem. I'm thinking about getting class 10 or class 10 ultra (UHS-1) 16GB or 32GB.
I hardly record any videos and if I'm not wrong then NL 620 supports only 720p recording. So class 6 should work just fine. So class 10 card is really necessary or should I just go for class 6,class 8 and save some money? I also will be installing apps on it (mostly games).Will the apps lag if I get lower class memory card?
And also is there any notable difference between using cards with 30MB/s and 48MB/s transfer speeds? I mean will it really make difference if using for smartphones?
Please help! Really confused.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I think that class 6 is more than enough for a smart phone, since transfer speeds depends on several factors, inclucding phone read/write speed and card read/write speed. For cards with higher read/write speed than your phone, your phone read/write speed becomes the limiting factor, and thus increasing the card speed does not affect the transfer speeds anymore.

I used a Class 4 4GB sd card before this, and its fine to run Asphalt 8, it does not stutter, but loading maps take longer than if on a phone. WP 8.1 DOES NOT require Class 6 and above cards. =)

Sunandan Mahant

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I used to use class 4(wasn't SanDisk though) and the pictures used to take 2-3 seconds to load(get clearer). Now I use 16 gb SanDisk class 10 and everything works perfectly fine.

marcos86

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
So class 10 card is really necessary or should I just go for class 6,class 8 and save some money?
There's very little difference between a class 6 or 10. How much money will you save? 5$? I bought a 32GB class 10 Toshiba card for about 17?. A class 6 costs 13-14.
I also will be installing apps on it (mostly games).Will the apps lag if I get lower class memory card?

If you are going to install apps go for a class 10, the faster the card is the better.

And also is there any notable difference between using cards with 30MB/s and 48MB/s transfer speeds? I mean will it really make difference if using for smartphones?

No, because that transfer speed it's usually the read speed, not write speed. And it depends on the files you are writing. Copying 100 1-Mb files is slower than copying a single 100Mb file.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You could keep using the Class 4 SD Card for as long as you want, Windows Phone 8.1 should have no problems with it.

However if you plan to store apps and data on it, I would highly recommend a Class 10 or higher, it will be future-proof incase you will ever think of getting a new phone and will provide you with much better performance.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster