Cortana - change Fahrenheit to Celsius

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll take one more shot at an elaboration. If you still don't get it, I'm out.

Base 10 means very little out of the scientific realm. What matters, in the context that I brought up, is multiples of whole numbers, which are easier to work with. If you're trying to approximate measurements, say for building a house, having whole numbers makes processes significantly easier to remember and visualize, and etc. 12 has multiples of 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12. 10 has multiples 1, 5, and 10. With the imperial system, that's entirely double the chance that your measurements are going to result in a whole, easy to remember, easy to perform mental math on, number. I'm not a mathematician so I cannot explain in simpler or more exact terms how this plays out.

As for temperature, yes, it works because I'm used to it. You're also used to Fahrenheit, though you don't realize it. It's not arbitrary- we deal with numbers similar to Fahrenheit *every* *single* *day* of our lives. Humans like things in scales of 0-100. Humans like things in scales of 0-100 so much they devised an entire imaginary number system that is based around the idea of 0-100, devised a way through which you can convert any number to this system, and gave it a name. We call it: per cent. That's per-100, percent, %. Fahrenheit basically measures the weather by way of 0-100, where those bounds are only exceeded in certain climates at certain times of the year (or during certain extreme weather events). Yes, this means Fahrenheit works better in some climates than in others, but it's a guided system, whereas Celsius is *entirely* arbitrary for weather. The upper bound is 37.777 degrees- it makes sense if you're used to it, yes, but Fahrenheit more closely resembles a much more familiar set of numbers, whereas Celsius is entirely its own thing.

Know that I'm playing devil's advocate here- I do believe these are actual benefits of a few of the imperial system's quirks. I personally use the metric system, but I have the ability to see past my own biases...
Just to point out something... You basically explained why the metric system is more comfortable (ignoring Celsius for the moment). Base 10 system. It makes more sense to people and is easier to work with. Also the metric due to it's nature has a simple small to large structure. Base 12 is more complex. No one likes using fractions.

As someone above has pointed out Celsius is based on water. From a weather perspective this makes sense. Zero means your likely to have ice. Blow zero you're going to have ice and possible snow. So to me, weather wise, Celsius make a heck of a lot more sense. No one uses decimal places when discussing weather unless your a scientist. We only use whole numbers and possibly 0.5.

I get where your coming from but the scale devised for F was way more arbitrary than C. Zero is when water freezes. That has tangible understanding for most people.

The is no need to hold my hand either. I'm quite capable of understanding concepts. Thanks.

As for playing devils advocate, you didn't explain you position very well at first. If you want to get a person to understand a system they are not use to and supposedly better, you need to explain why. I still don't agree with you but I'll leave it there. To each their own.

Last edited:

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but why is Fahrenheit more accurate than Celsius..
Is it measured with a different method.
I do not think so (actual I know it's not).
And using a digit does not make Celsius less accurate.
I didn't say Celsius is less accurate. They are both accurate. I said Fahrenheit is more precise, which it is.
93? F = 34? C
94? F = 34? C

Similarly compared to Celsius, Fahrenheit is also more precise than Kelvin. A 10? change in Kelvin is roughly equal to 18? of change in Fahrenheit. Given how sensitive humans and other species are to slight temperature changes, and its use in minute sciences, Fahrenheit make more sense because it is more precise.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
QUOTE=jlzimmerman;2958471]
I didn't say Celsius is less accurate. They are both accurate. I said Fahrenheit is more precise, which it is.
93? F = 34? C
94? F = 34? C
QUOTE]

Sorry again
93? F = 33.9? C
94? F = 34.4? C
And every thermometer gives temp in Celsius with 1 digit after the . or ,

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
93? F = 34? C
94? F = 34? C

Similarly compared to Celsius, Fahrenheit is also more precise than Kelvin. A 10? change in Kelvin is roughly equal to 18? of change in Fahrenheit. Given how sensitive humans and other species are to slight temperature changes, and its use in minute sciences, Fahrenheit make more sense because it is more precise.
Decimals exist you know

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Cortana seems to be hook with mns weather..in msn weather one can change F to C in the setting..when ask her she respond in that language but when set up in places book she will display it in F...

Jeremy Reist

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I found a way to change Cortana to Celsius.
First bring up Cortana, go to Home.
Then when it shows you the current weather press the three dots.
Example1.png
Go to edit in Notebook, then at the bottom of that options page you can set a Unit.
Example2.png
Tested and works with Cortana.

Fixtor eServices

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
To change the weather setting unit from Fahrenheit to Celsius follow the steps below

1. Click on Cortana now on the left hand you will see 3 dash line icon click on it.
2. Click on Notebook scroll down and click on "weather" select the city you are tracking and then click on Fahrenheit under Units select Celsius and hit save, you are all set now. :smile:
Vice versa if you want to change it back to Fahrenheit

Jupp3103

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with Fahrenheit nor Celsius! (Fahrenheit - German Scientist)

Unfortunately the USA, respectively most of its citizens see the world as the backyard of the USA.

Why???,

Beats me!!!

Russia won World War II

Russia won World War II by defeating Germany in the Winter of 1941/42 and drove the German armies back into Germany and arrived there in 1944. The US of A and their hanger ons Britain waited for 5 years to see how the 6 Million Russians would go against a 500.000 Soldiers strong German Army.
On the 6/6/1944 the Western Allies could see that there were not many German soldiers left in France because the Germans tried unsuccessfully to block the Russians from advancing. The US and British troops arrived in 1945 in Germany (what took them so long) and the Russians retreated eastwards so that the Western Allies could come into Berlin. I have never heard any western politician thanking Russia for defeating Hitler's Germany and losing 9 Million lives in the process.

German Scientists taught the US Americans how to built jet engines and rockets!

Wernher von Braun (was the Boss of NASA) and Kurt Heinrich Debus (became the first director of NASA's Kennedy Space Centre in 1962) were German V-2 rocket scientists during World War II who were being brought to the United States under Operation Paper clip in 1945.

Electronics and Transistor

USA Military hunters were looking for scientists who had developed things like new rocket and aircraft designs, medicines, and electronics. 88 Scientists were taken for their jet - and rocket engine expertise. It is really not known how many were taken in the other advanced fields developed in Germany. Certainly more than 1000.

Anyhow, it did not take long in the USA before a mass discovery of inventions broke lose after 1945. Jet Planes, Rockets, Transistor, Computers, large numbers of new technologies, medical Drugs and on and on.

Do you wonder why? I don't!

What would the USA be without the rest of the World ???

One thing the USA is truly the World Champion of all times in, WAR!

The USA has killed more than 20.000.000 People (20 Million, conservative estimates) during "Peace" times since WWII by invading 78 foreign countries including killing US citizens within the USA. This would make Stalin, Hitler, Mao or Pol Pot blush with envy.

The American Dream

The American dream has come true for very few people in the USA. I usually say:" The Americans have their dream but the Germans live it". You are dirt in the USA if you are not rich but if you are rich you have almost unfettered power over others. How many are rich?

1% of the USA Populous has 43% of the USA wealth, next 4% have 28%, next 5% have 11%, next 10% have 12% and the left 80% of the USA population share 7% of the AMERICAN WEALTH PIE! (you can Google it like every thing else I state in this post)

This leaves Europeans gob-smacked! Wealth distribution is much more evened out in Europe.

If you are ruthless you get much further in the USA than in any other civilized country on this earth. US money truly talks! Only a small minority has it! The rest works often 2, 3 or 4 jobs to make end meet. Not 10 horses would get me into the USA to live.
I thought a little history lesson wouldn't hurt any USA citizen because the perceived island paradise they live in does not exist!

I have respect for my fellow travellers on this planet. This planet belongs to all of us.

Microsoft: I don't want to complain about WINDOWS 10 and its shortcomings because it is for free, Gift horse .....! Still, only 3 countries in the world have not the metric system, USA, Liberia and Burma!

Every time I try to get some overseas temperatures I have to get the calculator out to convert from F to C. Lets hope MS realises soon that the bulk of Win 10 is not in the USA.

Jupp3103

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
My previous reply was to Jas00555 who stated :

"Currently, Cortana is US English only, so no Celsius. Maybe if the rest of the world caught up with the US, you wouldn't have this problem."

The USA would do well in many areas if it was catching up with the world, e.g. wide spread poverty !

Joel Torsen

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
What a bunch of idiots! Why use an old illogical Polish notation?
With the metric system it so easy, 0 degrees water ice, 100 degrees water boils ...

Theguyinthedark

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Simple. Click Cortana box, on top there's the weather info. Click the three dotted button and select "edit in notebook". Scroll down and under units select Celsius.

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I would like to revamp this topic. Yes, clicking the dots and setting temperature to Celsius works for the Weather information when you start Cortana. But when you ask her by voice the temperature, which is sometimes more easy (especially with a MS Band), she'll still use Fahrenheit when you use the US Cortana. Anyone figured a way out to change that?

Eduardo Wandscheer

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
fh.jpg

Open Cortana tap on hamburguer menu > Notebook > Weather:
8f02fa8c-20fc-43e0-a83d-d281db8d88c9.jpg
Weather > Units. Tap on Fahrenheit then change to Celsius > Save.
7e22e37f-e3b3-4669-a93f-25e50ed55eac.jpg

Then:
642b2931-d913-45af-b85a-75562a3990cf.jpg

And we are done!
Celcius.jpg

Attachments

• caderno.jpg
    caderno.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads