Crappy camera

anon(5336707)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What's up with the crappy camera in Lumia 710? It's the only reason I don't use it as my primary phone. Check out the comparison. The first picture is taken with a Samsung Galaxy S2 and the second one with Lumia 710.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
What's up with the crappy camera in Lumia 710? It's the only reason I don't use it as my primary phone. Check out the comparison. The first picture is taken with a Samsung Galaxy S2 and the second one with Lumia 710.
710 wasnt meant to be an high end phone, hence the less than great camera.Since camera seems to be a big thing for you, you might want to consider the 900 or the titan 2.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be something up with the focus mode setting. The default is set to "macro" but if you change it to "normal" sometimes you get better focus and better pictures. I have a feeling the camera can be improved with firmware though so there is still hope.

I also don't use the button for the shutter, but rather tap the screen to avoid any shaking.

I only take spontaneous shots with my phone though so i don't really care if the pictures aren't perfect. Though I do wish the camera was as good as the Titan, N8 or iphone, it's not a deal breaker for me since I just take my regular camera to places where i will be taking a lot of pictures.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you seriously comparing the Lumia 710 to the GS2? You do know that they are not at the same price point right? Plus, in your comparison photos, the 710 isn't even in focus...

@squire777, my lumia 710 also came with macro set as default :/ took me a while to notice, but after changing it to normal, the pictures were fine. :)

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I like the camera on my 710. It does have focusing problems as it sometimes defaults to macro esp in video mode. But, colors are neutral and it has decent tonal range.

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I really haven't had a problem with the camera. I thought it took pretty good pictures especially at some recent pics of fish I took at a museum.

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I actually think the camera is pretty good. I took some this weekend at the tulip fields and they turned out pretty good. I did have my DSLR with me, so I took just about all photos with that. Just remember to keep the lens cover clean...mine is always full of finger prints since that seems to be how I hold my phone, and if i dont clean it off the quality gets a lot worse and it starts having focusing problems.

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Damn rideboarder, those shots are sweet for a smartphone. As usual, photography is about the user, not the equipment (and I pretty much suck as a photographer).
-joe-

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
You're right joeaux, it's about getting to learn your camera and getting to know it's strengths and weaknesses. With practise it's not that difficult to take decent photos, but I take over ~10'000 photos a year with my dslr, so I'm used to all this. I see people all the time with equipment much more expensive than mine taking horrible photos, so it comes down to the user quite often. A $5000 camera won't take stunning photos by itself afterall...

anyways, here's one from just now with flash as a comparison. also another thing to keep in mind is to hold the camera button half way down to let the camera focus, once it's done then take the picture. All without moving your hand of course.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
The camera isn't the best, but as above, the camera was never intended to be anything other than a convenience. That's why Nokia opted for a standard setup instead of a Carl Zeiss setup as featured on their high-end phones over the years, including the Lumia 800 and 900.

I do find, however, that it is absolutely fantastic in low-light.

schiri

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
My blackberry Bold 9780 also had a 5 megapixel camera and the pictures are far superior to the Lumia 710. It's not even close.

What gives?

anon(5336707)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I missed you guys responses to my original post.

Yes, my Lumia 710 appeared to have had a focusing problem, which is probably why all pics were crap. It was the same whether I had it on Macro or Normal. Now I see that some of you were able to at least take decent pics.

Unfortunately, I don't have the 710 anymore so I can't do any further testing. I was quite disappointed with that camera. Other than that, I really liked the phone. I'm now waiting for the Nokia WP8 phone...whatever that may be.

DaiaX

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
So i'am a noob at photography and i can't find anyone that can lend me camera or DSLR, i have an upcoming event. I need to shot pictures.

Ok this is my settings:
Scenes : Macro
White Balance : Auto
Exposure Value : ranging from -1 to 1
ISO :200, 400
Metering Mode : Frame Average
Effects: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal (depends)
Focus Mode: Normal
Resolution : 5MP 4:3
Flicker Reduction : 50Hz

The results are attached, that is all i can figure out from my Lumia 710. I need your help. In quality, is it bad, acceptable or good enough?
The event will be indoor, maybe good lighting, crowded, face shots, group shots.
Oh and, is there an app to clear your EXIF data on picture or rename the picture?

afterblind

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
for the mid range and all the excitement, i quiet satisfied with the lumia 710 camera, here's my example pics.. :)

there's a trick to improve the camera quality, beside the proper setting with the built in camera, and i recommended you guys to install "sophie cam"

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The only time I get decent pictures with the camera are outdoors on a cloudy day. Other than that I don't bother. I will try out Sophie cam to see if it really does improve the quality.

If I'm going to an event I just take my proper camera so at the moment I can get by.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon