Developer Preview Program - Please read first post before asking questions

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Trying to register for a dev account through AppStudio but I only get to the registration process which costs $19 for an individual account. What is the process to get a free dev account? Thanks.

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I found out the method to get the preview for free via a simple web search, but it doesn't actually get you a free dev account. That's okay. Once my time frees up I'll look into WP app development, at which point I wouldn't mind ponying up the $19 US.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Trying to register for a dev account through AppStudio but I only get to the registration process which costs $19 for an individual account. What is the process to get a free dev account? Thanks.

They changed the process?! That method used to be free.
Sign up with AppStudio ---> Start and save a project (no need to actually do anything) ---> Download Preview for Developers from WP8 store ---> Done.

APsays

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Hy! help me out.
If i have installed an update using the Developer Preview Programme and latter i uninstalls the Programme, Will it create any problem?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You won't uninstall the preview. It isn't possible without reflashing a factory image. Make sure you read the first post in the thread.

iHeartBretski

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
If I am running the developer preview. When I receive the official update from my carrier, can I remove myself from getting dev preview updates in the future? Because once I have the official, I dont know why I would want to keep getting the other updates. I am a new user so forgive me if I am off base, I am coming from 5years of Android.

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw the checkbox that un-enrolls you in the app.

Last edited:

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
If I am running the developer preview. When I receive the official update from my carrier, can I remove myself from getting dev preview updates in the future? Because once I have the official, I dont know why I would want to keep getting the other updates. I am a new user so forgive me if I am off base, I am coming from 5years of Android.

Yeah you can stop getting developers updates via unchecking the box in preview app

iHeartBretski

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a question as I have a unique issue.

I purchased my Lumia 925 pre owned and it already had 8.1 installed. The device appeared to be reset as well.

Today I signed up and installed the windows dev preview app. And when I go to update it says my phone is up to date even with me being on Lumia black. And on 12382.

Is something keeping me from being able to update?

When you access the DP app it needs to download something from the web. When that happened I clicked run. Did I do that correctly?

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Read today that WP8.1 Dev. Prev. users who have contributed free bug fixes &reports for MS will not receive official Cyan update as this had broken some Bitlocker enabled phones! MS should acknowledge dev pre users and prioritise Cyan rollout to them and ensure Bitlocked phones are fixed.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Read today that WP8.1 Dev. Prev. users who have contributed free bug fixes &reports for MS will not receive official Cyan update as this had broken some Bitlocker enabled phones! MS should acknowledge dev pre users and prioritise Cyan rollout to them and ensure Bitlocked phones are fixed.

A little bit overly dramatic, don't you think?

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
What device do you have? That sounds awful
Sorry, haven't replied until now. I've got an at&t 1520. For some reason it fried my SIM card. I know it's always a risk, and I always would remove them before flashing roms on my HD2, but this was the first time I've actually had it happen.

So just a reminder; You should always remove your SIM when updating or flashing your phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to Talderon, who works at Microsoft and has been feeding us Cortana information, for validating what I've been saying all along: The Preview for Developers is NOT a beta, IS the full RTM.

People consider (and I did this myself) the Developer Preview to be BETA version of the OS. This is not the case. When we get a Developer Preview, we are getting the FULL RTM BITS for the CORE OS.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you for this guide (wanted to get preview for next weeks uk cortana release

Registered for the free app studio account
Installed the app on my phone and it was done

Never thought it would have been so easy :) happy now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire