Didn't like the screen coloration

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I know most Nokia handsets out there are AMOLED, but this phone being LCD, I pretty much expected the colors to be a little different. I think the AMOLED colors of the 1020 and 928 really pop and look wonderful and vibrant. I feel like the LCD screen on the 1520, while more readable in bright light, seems to have slightly colder coloration(And yes, I tweaked the color profile to my liking).

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't tell the difference between the 1520 screen and the 1020 screen. I actually want the IPS screen because my Galaxy Nexus' AMOLED screen got some noticeable burn-in, plus the AMOLED's crushes blacks in movies and produces weird botches in the black parts of the videos. It looks pretty terrible.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Just be aware of that the typical AMOLED colours don't really correspond to reality and actually are oversaturated, making it hard to evaluate photos and other pictures. Some of us prefer the LCD screens for that reason, what I do envy is the black levels, not, the colours. The Lumia 920 for example had a really good screen, it never looked washed out unless you compared it directly with a oversaturated AMOLED screen.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think testing will reveal that the 1520 has one of the best screens of any phone that you can buy right now. I don't care for outside of gamut color rendering. That's not a sign of quality.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know most Nokia handsets out there are AMOLED, but this phone being LCD, I pretty much expected the colors to be a little different. I think the AMOLED colors of the 1020 and 928 really pop and look wonderful and vibrant. I feel like the LCD screen on the 1520, while more readable in bright light, seems to have slightly colder coloration(And yes, I tweaked the color profile to my liking).
Guess you are new to Nokia, other than the last few Nseries, Nokia ditched AMOLED for LCD, and now most of the Lumia lines are LCDs

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Guess you are new to Nokia, other than the last few Nseries, Nokia ditched AMOLED for LCD, and now most of the Lumia lines are LCDs

You have that backwards. Nokia uses AMOLED for most of the Lumia series. The 1520 is one of the few exceptions, and it's because there are no AMOLED panels currently being produced at a 6" size.

So it was literally impossible for them to use an AMOLED display on the 1520 at this time.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You have that backwards. Nokia uses AMOLED for most of the Lumia series. The 1520 is one of the few exceptions, and it's because there are no AMOLED panels currently being produced at a 6" size.

So it was literally impossible for them to use an AMOLED display on the 1520 at this time.
Really don't know where you got that from.
AMOLED are only on lone 1020, 928/25 twins, the 82X triplets and the 800/900 evil twins of N9. The rest of the entire line are LCDs.

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Bright, vibrant artificial colors really pop and look great though. Just look at the AMOLED screen on the Samsung Note 3 and the new Moto X, they look great! And the 1020, 928, 925 as well. I think the HTC One, 1520 colors look more dull and lifeless compared to the AMOLED screens. But that's all a matter of preference. You have your realists who want real colors, and then people who like their colors to jump out at them.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Really don't know where you got that from.
AMOLED are only on lone 1020, 928/25 twins, the 82X triplets and the 800/900 evil twins of N9. The rest of the entire line are LCDs.

I got it from actually knowing what models use what screens. I also know about the tech behind the AMOLED screens, and what the yields are like at 6" and how that relates to the likelihood of use in production for a model. :)

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there a setting that allows you to adjust the hue or did I imagine that?
A bit like the options you have on most modern televisions for "warm", "cool", etc.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Sure gddr2 introduces color profile which can be adjusted in display menu!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz