Disadvantages of unlocking/debranding phone?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a Focus S, and am frankly sick of waiting on AT&T to release the 8107 update. There's an easy way to get the update on the Focus S, but you have to unlock your phone.

What are the disadvantages of unlocking? Will I receive all updates after 8107, like Apollo? Any input helps.

Thanks!

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Technically speaking, debranding won't get you the 8107 update through AT&T. What it will do is update to 7740, then 8107 (through Zune), and then you will have to plug into Zune again when 8 is released.

The difference, semantically, is that you won't get the little "update available" message on your handset. Don't worry if you keep up with WP news.

VictorE#AC

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I got tired of waiting for 8107 for my 1st gen Focus, so I installed a registry editor and changed my network operator to Rogers in CA. Once I plugged into Zune, I was able to update to 8107. I didn't see any device specific updates during the upgrade process. I did switch it back to AT&T as a last step.

As far as the Focus S, I haven't seen any news about the pros/cons about forcing the 8107 update.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of waiting for 8107 for my 1st gen Focus, so I installed a registry editor and changed my network operator to Rogers in CA. Once I plugged into Zune, I was able to update to 8107. I didn't see any device specific updates during the upgrade process. I did switch it back to AT&T as a last step.

As far as the Focus S, I haven't seen any news about the pros/cons about forcing the 8107 update.

I wonder if I can do the same for my HD7?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos