Don't rename Windows Phone and Nokia!!! Stop Microsoft from doing so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbodb

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a fan of the Nokia brand (seems like the Microsoft brand hasn't been a great one the last decade). But, as long as they keep Lumia, I think everything will be cool. And, now maybe you'll just call your phone a Windows phone (instead of a Windows Phone phone) :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I would like it if Nokia and Microsoft make an agreement that the phones are allowed to be called "Nokia by Microsoft". That would make me very happy!

What's in a name? That what we call a rose would still smell as sweet...

I know name brands mean a lot to people but in this instance it's a little late to worry about it. The phones will be not be Nokia and the name Nokia will only appear on your Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive because they still own that.

Lumia will be next. It's only a matter of time. Hope we can all move on. Either you like the OS and have confidence in it and the handsets that MS will produce or you don't. Until we see one we can't pass judgement.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Your petition is meaningless. Nokia as a company still exists. MS cannot legally use it. Therefore they name goes.

Time to get over it. If the only reason you're on WP is because of Nokia, you were on it for the wrong reason anyway.

Also you signature is really annoying. Just saying.

Try to keep this on topic. I made the petition to see if the community would really care. Also, petitions are meanless? Seriously, it's just a try in a million.

rohitks

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Renaming the brand may be something corporate restriction that doesn't allow the future use for NOKIA name, but for many of users like us who have been using the Nokia phones since its having the Nokia brand irrespective of the OS. I am also one of those users who didn't care about the OS they were putting in the phone but rather go for the good old hardware from the superb company. Acquisition from MS was not a planned move for the users/loyalists of the brand, though I still believe we can use the name. Though if as rumoured the name goes, then I also guess my L925 would be the last Nokia phone for me. Hope MS agrees to use the name in future, which may be unlikely.
"Nokia" brand don't let it get away MS.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Try to keep this on topic. I made the petition to see if the community would really care. Also, petitions are meanless? Seriously, it's just a try in a million.

I said your petition is meaningless I didn't say all petitions. Second you ranted about leaving WP if the Nokia brand is removed.

So point one, your petition is meaningless because regardless how much we care it won't change anything. It's part of the legal requirement because Nokia still exists as a company. MS doesn't own the Nokia name.

Point two, your rant points to one of the biggest issues regarding WP is that a lot of people jumped onto the platform because of Nokia. So MS has to prove they still care about people like you. Thing is you're not giving them a chance. You're not a WP user you're a lover of a name.

That was my point. If Nokia is all that matters to you then you're on the platform for the wrong reason.

So get ready for more disappointment. First Nokia, then phone and then Lumia will go. Guaranteed.

You can leave anyone you want.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Why even name it windows? Jeez! Modern Apps don't even run in windows. At least, they wont for tablet/phone form factor. Call it mOS shorthand for Microsoft OS, mobile OS whatever goes for you. Make windows logo as Microsoft's and slam it at the back of phones like apple does it with its products. Plagiarism at its best. Wohoo!
Then Apple would promptly sue them! :grin: Innovation by litigation!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
's'not happening. None of it.

Silly waste of time. I'm surprised a Mod has not closed this thread already. I'm not reading beyond post one. No point in it. I am, however, very tired of seeing the title rising to the top of the forum. Please just let this thread die a quiet death due to neglect...

daddymanAZ

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft bought the rights to Nokia's hardware division. They did not buy the Nokia brand or the company as a whole.

I'm glad somebody else understands Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia Manufacturing. In the acquisition, MS retained the rights to use the Asha and Lumia brand names NOT the brand name 'Nokia'. Nokia agreed to allow MS to distribute phones using their Corporate name for only a short allotted time.

And, as N said
If Nokia is all that matters to you then you're on the platform for the wrong reason.

I for one am glad to see MS make move to rebrand....would love to see them introduce the new Surface Phone and Surface Tablets running Microsoft Mobile 9.

You should be on this platform because you like Windows Phone...or Windows....or Microsoft...or whatever they decide to name their products.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This is a well battered subject on WPC.
I don't see this thread adding much more than has already been covered numerous times in previous threads.
Thank you all for your input here.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers