Double tap to wake?

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Corepc. Did anyone on TMobile get the 521 double tap to update at all?

Nope I didn't.
My feeling is this- Nokia is pfinally going to push an update with it to us sooner or later most likely. The more people speak up, the more likely they will do it.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I started a thread on Nokia discussion about it sign up and post their, contact Nokia support has well. Just waiting for battery to charge before I hard reset and redownload everything.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is supposed to call me back here is chat converstion's from this morning..

Bella: Hi, my name is Bella. Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat. How may I help you?

Jimmy (9:07:31)
Morning Bella, the gdr2/amber update just rolled out for the Lumia 521, My question is that it did not have the "Double tap to awake feature" . Now The AT&T 520 which shipped with gdr2/amber does have the feature. Could you tell why we did not get that feature ?

Bella (9:08:09)
Let me help you with this one. Before we proceed, may I know your full name so I can address you properly?

Jimmy (9:08:23)
Jimmy Maxwell

Bella (9:08:51)
Thank you, Jimmy.

Jimmy (9:09:16)
u r welcome

Bella (9:09:52)
I will be idle for a minute or two while I check the information we need.

Jimmy (9:09:58)
Thanks

Bella (9:10:27)
No worries.

Bella (9:11:46)
Do you have the phone with you now?

Bella (9:12:00)
Let us check the settings on the phone to make sure the feature is enabled.

Jimmy (9:12:32)
Yes, I do, fully updated all apps including display + touch which is where it should have been. Do you need screenshots ?

Bella (9:13:28)
Does this mean you do not have the option for "Double tap to wake up phone" under "touch" in "display+touch" settings?

Jimmy (9:14:04)
Correct no option for that under Display+Touch like it is on AT&T 520.

Bella (9:15:30)
Can you provide the current firmware version of the phone?

Jimmy (9:16:06)
firmware is 3046.000.1328.2024

Jimmy (9:16:49)
missed a zero 3046.0000.1328.2024 sorry about that

Bella (9:17:01)
Thank you for clarifying.

Bella (9:18:07)
Have you tried pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power keys together until the phone reboots? Then, check if you will see an update available again.

Jimmy (9:19:30)
I will lose my internet connection, if I do that right now. But, I have rebooted my phone serveral times and still does not show up.

Bella (9:20:12)
We then need to perform a reset on the phone to make sure that all the added features will appear in the phone.

Jimmy (9:21:49)
Hard reset or just Soft Reset. LIke I said I use internet sharing to my pc, so once I do that I will lose my internet connection and this chat most likely. I can try and see what happens.

Bella (9:22:13)
I understand.

Jimmy (9:22:29)
hold on let me reset the phone and see what happens..

Bella (9:22:45)
We need to perform a hard reset in the phone however, please be reminded that your files will be deleted.

Bella (9:23:14)
As you are using the phone as a modem for your computer to be connected to internet, we might get disconnected.

Bella (9:23:30)
Let me generate your case ID so you can contact us back and proceed with the resolution.

Jimmy (9:24:30)
yes. phone has modem to pc. I will hard reset phone and contact back with CASE ID number thanks.

Bella (9:26:00)
Our conversation has been logged in our system with the reference number 1-14571275033.

Bella (9:26:32)
Let us know what happened after the reset so we can further assist you with this one.

Jimmy (9:27:17)
Thank you, I will hard reset phone and reapply nokia updates and responds back.

Bella (9:27:19)
Is there anything else I can possibly help you with for now?

Jimmy (9:27:38)
No, just that everything else is fine.

Bella (9:27:46)
You are most welcome. If you have any questions in the future, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Bella (9:27:53)
Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat and have a great weekend, Jimmy.

Jimmy (9:28:12)
You too, hard reseting phone now..

Jimmy (9:28:28)
------------------------
Robbie: Hi, my name is Robbie. Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat. How may I help you?

Jimmy (13:18:43)
Hello Robbie, name is Jimmy Maxwell I have a caseid number, continuing where I left off..

Jimmy (13:18:47)
xxxxxxxxxxx

Robbie (13:19:21)
I will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Robbie (13:19:28)
One moment please while I check the reference number that you have provided.

Jimmy (13:20:44)
Thanks, performed hard reset per request, updated display+touch still no double tap to awake feature listed.

Robbie (13:21:42)
I am sorry to hear that.

Robbie (13:22:25)
Can you please go to Settings then Phone updates and then check if there are still available updates for your phone?

Jimmy (13:23:16)
only 2g connection take a while to check hold on

Robbie (13:23:53)
Thank you.

Jimmy (13:24:15)
Phone is up to date

Robbie (13:24:43)
I see. One moment please.

Jimmy (13:24:49)
Thank you

Robbie (13:25:02)
You are most welcome.

Robbie (13:25:51)
Thank you for waiting.

Robbie (13:26:05)
Are you referring to the hard reset under Settings then About?

Jimmy (13:26:54)
Performed hard reset via buttons, even got the spinning gears.

Robbie (13:27:33)
Can you please try to perform a full reset again under Settings then About?

Robbie (13:28:39)
Please back up first all your files stored on the phone before performing the reset.

Jimmy (13:29:14)
a hard reset via the buttons the same has going to settings and about...If I do that then I will get disconnected since I am using phone has modem to my pc.

Robbie (13:29:56)
I see. No worries.

Robbie (13:30:05)
Let me see what I can do.

Jimmy (13:31:19)
Okay, just trying to find out why we 521 users did not get the feature. Yet the AT&T 520 has the option which shipped with GDR2/Amber with "double tap to awake" enabled.

Robbie (13:33:27)
One moment please.

Jimmy (13:35:30)
ok

Robbie (13:37:11)
Thank you for waiting.

Robbie (13:38:11)
Upon consulting from our senior technicians, you have mentioned that you already tried performing the full reset on your phone and the spinning gears did show.

Robbie (13:38:18)
I would like to inform you that I will be escalating your concern to them.

Robbie (13:38:39)
They will be the one who will handle your concern and provide you the information you need for us to resolve the issue.

Jimmy (13:39:31)
Thank you, yes did get the spinning gears, and had to reinstall everything. Thank for escalating

Robbie (13:40:18)
You are most welcome Jimmy.

Robbie (13:40:32)
Please provide me your call back number and preferred call back time.

Jimmy (13:40:59)
xxx -xxx-xxxx any time is fine

Robbie (13:41:12)
Thank you for the information. Please wait for the call back from them.

Jimmy (13:41:28)
Thank you

Robbie (13:41:49)
You are most welcome. May I know if did I manage to assist you with your concern today?

Jimmy (13:42:40)
Yes, Thank you very much. now I can rely the information to the other 521 users on wpcentral forums.

Robbie (13:43:19)
Great! You are most welcome. No worries. Our senior technicians will investigate your concern and provide you all the information you need once you receive the call back

Robbie (13:43:27)
Is there anything else that I may assist you with?

Jimmy (13:43:50)
No that is all everything else working fine on the phone. That is my only concern.

Robbie (13:44:20)
If you do need any further help in the future, please do not hesitate to chat with us again. Thank you for contacting Nokia Care Chat and have a great day!

Jimmy (13:44:34)
you too disconnecting now

Robbie (13:44:44)
Thank you.

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have an official T-Mobile 521. I can confirm that I am on the new Amber + GDR2 update via official OTA sent directly to my 521 yesterday.

I do NOT have Tap-to-Wake feature.

Why the 521 didn't get this yet the 520 did angers me. There is NO DIFFERENCE in screen and tap/touch input. Same processor, same RAM, same everything except of the 1700 band. And don't tell me the 1700 band keeps the 521 from accepting Tap-to-Wake!

No valid reason to strip away that feature. Or are we all missing something?
Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
maybe Nokia is going to release another update for the 521s soon. My phone also doesn't have double tap. I don't really care about it, but it is kind of strange the 520s got it, but not the 521s.

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Does the 520 also have an LCD display, or is it OLED? Big difference in this feature's usability. I've already seen the effects of some poorly planned implementation of an LCD display in the 521 being used with Nokia's OLED-optimized mechanics. Biggest case-in-point is the "low battery" charging screen before booting. The display stays on but blacked out while the phone charges, and while waiting for the battery to charge past a certain threshold. Problem is, an LCD consumes more power while blacked out than while lit white - and an OLED screen does the opposite. An OLED screen would have no problem with this - it just shows some dimly-lit LED segments and consumes very little power. An LCD, however, would consume the same amount of power as if the whole screen was full-white with black text. In fact, that may be a good way to implement this "glance screen" on LCDs.

The "glance screen" would be pretty bad for battery life given the 521's LCD. If the 520 has an OLED display, that would explain why the 521 didn't get it. But if they both have LCDs, well... we've seen this kind of design fragmentation before, and there's absolutely no excuse for the feature to be missing in the 521.

(My glitchy, buggy 521 is getting that update right now... "Migrating your data (step 2 of 5) 14%" - now about an hour into the process, and I really don't have much data. zZz...)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Does the 520 also have an LCD display, or is it OLED? Big difference in this feature's usability. I've already seen the effects of some poorly planned implementation of an LCD display in the 521 being used with Nokia's OLED-optimized mechanics. Biggest case-in-point is the "low battery" charging screen before booting. The display stays on but blacked out while the phone charges, and while waiting for the battery to charge past a certain threshold. Problem is, an LCD consumes more power while blacked out than while lit white - and an OLED screen does the opposite. An OLED screen would have no problem with this - it just shows some dimly-lit LED segments and consumes very little power. An LCD, however, would consume the same amount of power as if the whole screen was full-white with black text. In fact, that may be a good way to implement this "glance screen" on LCDs.

The "glance screen" would be pretty bad for battery life given the 521's LCD. If the 520 has an OLED display, that would explain why the 521 didn't get it. But if they both have LCDs, well... we've seen this kind of design fragmentation before, and there's absolutely no excuse for the feature to be missing in the 521.

(My glitchy, buggy 521 is getting that update right now... "Migrating your data (step 2 of 5) 14%" - now about an hour into the process, and I really don't have much data. zZz...)
IPS LCD. Both don't have ClearBlack.

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely zero difference in screen. No legit reason why the 521 didn't get it since the 520 got it. :banghead:

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I also have the Nokia 521 with the latest "amber" FW update 3046.0000.1328.2024. The flip phone-to-mute incoming call function works, but there is no way I can double tap on the screen to wake-up/unlock the phone. Also discovered that the following items are missing/not available:

1. Cannot download the Nokia Smart Camera app...said app is not applicable to this phone. Shouldn't the amber update allow the 521 to use the Nokia Smart app?
Nokia Smart Cam | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

2. There is no storage check app available after the 521 amber update. My 520 has this app.

3. There is no incoming caller blacklist.

On the plus side, I was not able to iniate WiFi calling regardless of modem/router/ISP. This amber FW update fixed this problem. This FW update has also allowed me to "ring" and "track" my phone via windowsphone.com. The phone must have access to WiFi or data plan. Be sure to turn "on" Send Apps and Save Phone Location in FIND MY PHONE. Finally, turn "on" the phone's LOCATION to enable GPS tracking (don't need this to "ring" the phone).

TIA,
F

Last edited:

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I also have the Nokia 521 with the latest "amber" FW update 3046.0000.1328.2024. The flip phone-to-mute incoming call function works, but there is no way I can double tap on the screen to wake-up/unlock the phone. Also discovered that the following items are missing/not available:

1. Cannot download the Nokia Smart Camera app...said app is not applicable to this phone. Shouldn't the amber update allow the 521 to use the Nokia Smart app?
Nokia Smart Cam | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

2. There is no storage check app available after the 521 amber update. My 520 has this app.

On the plus side, I was not able to iniate WiFi calling regardless of modem/router/ISP. This amber FW update fixed this problem. This FW update has also allowed me to "ring" and "track" my phone via windowsphone.com. The phone must have access to WiFi or data plan. Be sure to turn "on" Send Apps and Save Phone Location in FIND MY PHONE. Finally, turn "on" the phone's LOCATION to enable GPS tracking (don't need this to "ring" the phone).

TIA,
F

I'm hitting 2/3

I have the call/sms filter and storage check is still there after the update.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

2 - Under settings->storage check

3 - Most likely need to update Nokia System App Use this - SysApp Pusher

----

STill have not heard anything back yet or email from Nokia, perhaps we will see a display+touch update the enable the feature's. But double tap to wake is a feature that I can live without really. Just would be nice to have to it..

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
2 - Under settings->storage check

3 - Most likely need to update Nokia System App Use this - SysApp Pusher

----

STill have not heard anything back yet or email from Nokia, perhaps we will see a display+touch update the enable the feature's. But double tap to wake is a feature that I can live without really. Just would be nice to have to it..

Thanks Corepc.

I went into Settings/System/Phone Storage/Phone (there is no STORAGE CHECK) to see a list of items like MUSIC+VIDEO, PICTURES, APPS, OTHER, SYSTEM, and FREE SPACE. Is this how 521 display the storage check? My 520 shows color pie chart.

Just installed SysApp Pusher. Which app do I need to update to obtain the incoming caller blacklist?

Furballi

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm hitting 2/3

I have the call/sms filter and storage check is still there after the update.

Are you seeing a color pie chart with Storage Check? I have to go into Phone Storage/Phone in Settings to see MUSIC+VIDEO, PICTURES, APPS, OTHER, SYSTEM, and FREE SPACE. There is no break down of which apps, music, video, etc that are taking the most drive space.

Can you list the pathway on your phone to access the CALL/SMS filter? Did you have to install SysApp Pusher and another specific app to access CALL/SMS filter? I never see this option on the 521 when it came out of the box.

TIA,
F

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Corepc.

I went into Settings/System/Phone Storage/Phone (there is no STORAGE CHECK) to see a list of items like MUSIC+VIDEO, PICTURES, APPS, OTHER, SYSTEM, and FREE SPACE. Is this how 521 display the storage check? My 520 shows color pie chart.

Just installed SysApp Pusher. Which app do I need to update to obtain the incoming caller blacklist?

Storage Check should be under settings toward the bottom if you do not have that then you should check for settings->phone updates once again. Has it came with GDR2

Call + SMS Blocking should also be under settings towards the bottom if not then update Extras+Info - just check for updates with sysapp for all the system ones listed and updated has needed.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Storage Check should be under settings toward the bottom if you do not have that then you should check for settings->phone updates once again. Has it came with GDR2

Call + SMS Blocking should also be under settings towards the bottom if not then update Extras+Info - just check for updates with sysapp for all the system ones listed and updated has needed.

Doesn't Extras + Info also include Storage Check? Last I remembered, when I flashed the Wifi Calling update back in spring, Storage Check disappeared. However, after updating Extras + Info, it came back. Extras + Info also brings Calling + Text blacklist, so it sounds as if he just needs to update system apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss