"Double" Tap virtually worthless?

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Easy solution: turn on 'high sensitivity' for your touch screen (which is nice because it also allows you to use your phone while you wear gloves). I turned that on and have found 'double tap to awake' to be really responsive. The trick is that you don't have to tap it that hard at all. Just two light, quick taps anywhere on the screen will consistently wake it up, no problem. I use double tap exclusively now. I only use the power button in the reverse situation: to turn the screen off.

Always has been on. I have no issue with tap sensitvity at all once in use.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Always has been on. I have no issue with tap sensitvity at all once in use.

In that case, try two really light, consistent taps. I think most people think they really have to tap the screen hard, but they really don't. Even if I vary the quickness of my taps or the length of time in between them, it always works as long as I use gentle taps. If it isn't your tapping strategy, though, I have no idea what it could be.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
In that case, try two really light, consistent taps. I think most people think they really have to tap the screen hard, but they really don't. Even if I vary the quickness of my taps or the length of time in between them, it always works as long as I use gentle taps. If it isn't your tapping strategy, though, I have no idea what it could be.
I was coming back to this thread to share my similar discovery. Come on, coders, one can tap too hard? Anyway, if I'm very careful I'm up to perhaps a 90% success rate.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It works perfectly fine for me, alas, I've turned it off due to its extra battery consumption. Which might be "negligible", but everything adds up.

Same thing here. Nice feature but more battery usage so I just use glance instead,and keep it to peek and have no problem clicking the power button on the side, more of a feature to use if the phone is never in your hands.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Same thing here. Nice feature but more battery usage so I just use glance instead,and keep it to peek and have no problem clicking the power button on the side, more of a feature to use if the phone is never in your hands.

Or, if perchance you plug in the charger once a day, probably at night, it doesn't really matter, does it? Scenario One: No Glance, no DT, no whatever. At bedtime it's down to (I'm making this up) down to 40%. Scenario Two, all those options on, it's down to 30%. when you crash.

There' no funcitional, only statistical, difference.

I leave Glance, wifi, all that stuff on all of the time. At bedtime, 15 hours to go........

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not as bad as you say but sometimes it doesn't register my taps, it's a new feature, I'm sure it will improve and have more options in the future

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time, when my phone is on the arm of the couch or sitting on my desk, I can double tap to see notifications.
works about 85% of the time, but I have a screen protector and my couch is swishy so the phone can just sink when I press :p normally works second time and easier than picking up to press power button.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I use it all the time, when my phone is on the arm of the couch or sitting on my desk, I can double tap to see notifications.
works about 85% of the time, but I have a screen protector and my couch is swishy so the phone can just sink when I press :p normally works second time and easier than picking up to press power button.
hmmm, Maybe screen guard is the cause for don't works all the time (at least almost all).

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
hmmm, Maybe screen guard is the cause for don't works all the time (at least almost all).

'Zactly the same, with or without a screen guard.

After several weeks of us, I think I have determined that the tap intensity is critical. There's a zone that works. A lighter tap, and nothing happens, a heavy, rather traditional smartphone tap, and nothing happens. In between, just right! Rather annoying that tap intensity is so critical.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
'Zactly the same, with or without a screen guard.

After several weeks of us, I think I have determined that the tap intensity is critical. There's a zone that works. A lighter tap, and nothing happens, a heavy, rather traditional smartphone tap, and nothing happens. In between, just right! Rather annoying that tap intensity is so critical.

That's bad news.. In my 820 works really well. Hope Microsoft/Nokia fix it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler