drawing apps on sp3

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Can't wait to save up and get a sp3, however I have a question about drawing apps.

I noticed that video reviews seems to be using photoshop application, which is on a pricey side. I always found that gimp does the job ok, Will gimp work with this new type of pen for drawing (inc pressure sensitivity) or is there another decent drawing photoshop-like apps would do the job?

what about blender? inkscape?

Thanks

Last edited:

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Clicking on that link and everything else on that site produces nothing but a BIG WHITE page with some amazon links at the bottom. Anyone else not seeing anything on that site?

nope. the url took me to h t t p://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/5/29/surface-pro-3-what-runs-what-doesnt - however, there is some amazon links at the bottom, perhaps timed out or lost connection for a second and not able to load the rest of the page

Last edited:

gpmic

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
nope. the url took me to h t t p://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/5/29/surface-pro-3-what-runs-what-doesnt - however, there is some amazon links at the bottom, perhaps timed out or lost connection for a second and not able to load the rest of the page

Hmmm I just clicked on it using an old IE and it works fine. Definitely, not the most well designed site but functional. Regardless, here is the text from the site:

Surface Pro 3: What Runs, What Doesn't
.This feature is incorrectly titled. I've kept the "What runs, what doesn't" label for consistency's sake, but the reality is that all of the software listed here "runs." With the one exception so far of 3D-Coat's OpenGL version, which exhibited display issues, the only performance issue I keep encountering is pen pressure sensitivity.

The results below are from very preliminary testing. Microsoft and N-Trig teams are hard at work trying to improve results for Wintab programs. Look for this list to change frequently between now and the Surface Pro 3 launch.

Adobe

•Illustrator CC 17.1.0 x64 - runs (significant performance issues)
•Photoshop CC 14.2.1 x64 - runs (requires N-Trig Wintab driver)
•Premiere Pro 7.2.2 (33) - runs
•After Effects 12.2.1.5 - runs
•Flash Professional CC 13.1.0.226 - crashes
Allegorithmic

•Substance Painter 0.5.0 - runs (UI does not scale)
Ambient Design

•ArtRage 4.0.5 - runs
Autodesk

•3DS Max 2015 SP1 - runs (supports multi-touch)
•Sketchbook Pro 6.2.5 - runs
•Maya 2015 SP2 - runs
•Mudbox 2015 - no pen or touch, works with mouse or touchpad
Blender

•Blender 2.70 - runs
Corel

•CorelDraw X7 17.0.0.491 - no pressure
•Painter X3 12.0.1.920 - no pressure
•Photo-Paint X7 17.0.0.491 - no pressure
Foundry Luxology

•Modo 801 - no pressure
Fire Alpaca

•FireAlpaca 1.0.51 - no pressure
GIMP

•GIMP 2.8.10 - no pressure
Hansol Huh

•Sketchtime - runs, software not pressure sensitive
KDE

•Krita 2.8.3 x64 - no pressure
Maxon

•Cinema 4D R15.057 - runs
Microsoft

•Fresh Paint - runs
MyPaint

•MyPaint 1.0.0 - no pressure
Newtek

•Chronosculpt 1.0.1 x64 - runs
•Lightwave 3D 11.6.3 x64 - runs
Pilgway

•3D-Coat 4.1.04A - runs (DX64 only)
Pixologic

•Sculptris - no pressure
•ZBrush 4R6 - no pressure
Silicon Benders

•Sketchable - runs
61 Solutions

•Mischief 1.12 - no pressure
Smith Micro (Celsys)

•Manga Studio 5.0.4 (Clip Studio Paint 1.3.1) - runs (Tablet PC only)
Systemax

•Paint Tool SAI 1.2.0 - no pressure
Toon Boom

•Toon Boom Animate Pro 3 PLE - runs
Triple Squid Software

•Moment of Inspiration (MoI3D) 3.0 beta - runs
TVPaint Developpement

•TVPaint 10.5.7 x64 - runs
Unity Technologies

•Unity 4.60b9, 4.5 - runs (requires mouse or touchpad, no pen or touch response)

Fred Mertz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm I just clicked on it using an old IE and it works fine. Definitely, not the most well designed site but functional. Regardless, here is the text from the site:

Thanks for the copy/paste. Much appreciated. I tried loading the page on Chrome and Firefox and still get the same 'WHITE PAGE'. Oh well......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963