Dual Monitor w/ MST Hub Problems

surface_n1nja

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I came into the SP3 world after many hours researching to make sure that dual external monitors was a possibility, specifically without using USB-powered "external video cards". However, after following directions that people have posted before I have the below setup, and only one external monitor is being displayed.

System: Surface Pro 3 i7 / 8GB / 512GB SSD
Microsoft Surface Docking Station
2x HP LA2206x Monitors
StarTech Triple Head DisplayPort 1.2 Multi Monitor MST Hub
StarTech Mini-DP to DP Adapter cable

Plugged in like so:

Docking Station -> Mini-DP to DP Cable -> MST Hub -> Output 1=Monitor #1, Output 2=Monitor #2

The Surface continues displaying on its screen, and Monitor #1 gets output. Monitor #2 seems like it tries to initialize (I hear the "da-dump" sound from the Surface when it gets plugged in/unplugged) but no video output.

I have tested the MST Hub on another laptop (HP Elitebook Folio 9470m) and both external monitors display without issue. The only difference between the two setups is the Mini-DP to DP adapter cable is not required/cant be used for the setup on the 9470m, as it has a full DP port on it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Why do you need the hub? can you not just plug the monitor in to the mini-DP port on the SP3 and then change display projection to extended mode?

FounderOne

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar setup (SP3 i7 and StarTech hub but my docking station is on order so I'm currently connecting directly to the mini DP on the Surface (my StarTech model has the mini DP cable so no need for the adapter). My two monitors are Dell U3011s running at 2560 X 1600 resolution. If I unplug both DP cables from the hub, then plug them both back in, I can get them both to be recognized by the OS 8.1 monitor resolution popup -- but when the machine goes to sleep or starts, they are no longer recognized -- disconnecting both from the hub and reconnecting is the only way to get the Surface to "see" them again. I have all the latest updates to OS 8.1. I found a newer driver for the Intel Graphics HD 5000 but it won't install (says it is 'not validated'). I believe this might be a problem with the StarTech hub but I've not gotten anywhere with their support. I'm thinking of trying a different hub. If you make any progress, please post here and I'll do the same.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
"the monitor"? OP said
dual external monitors
2x HP LA2206x Monitors

But still, the SP3 has 1 mini-DP port and the SP3 Dock has 1 mini-DP port so you can plug in both monitors at the same time without the MST hub.

Alternatively if the monitors support DisplayPort daisy chaining then you can use that.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I believe this might be a problem with the StarTech hub but I've not gotten anywhere with their support. I'm thinking of trying a different hub. If you make any progress, please post here and I'll do the same.

Any updates on using these DisplayPort hubs, specifically with the SP3 dock?

I was about to order one of these StarTech.com MSTMDP123DP Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to Triple Head DisplayPort Multi Monitor MST hubs from Amazon to use with my SP3 dock (going into two 27" Dell U2713HM monitors, which don't do daisy chaining,) but I'm not sure whether it'll work. There are currently two Amazon reviews for it, both with people using it with the SP3 dock, with one saying it doesn't work properly and the other saying it does, so that doesn't help things.

And I know I can use the second DisplayPort out on the SP3 itself, which I'm currently doing, but I'd like the convenience of not plugging and unplugging any cables at all, hence using the dock in the first place.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
A couple months later, did anyone get this setup to work?

I have a StarTech.com MSTMDP123DP Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to Triple Head DisplayPort Multi Monitor MST hub, and get my dock later today. Would love for these to work.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't know anything about multiple monitor setups... but I have read an article that mentioned 4k displays not working as described during the launch event. Something that MS claim will be fixed in a firmware update. But according to experts, they say the CPU can't cope?

Auftrag2015

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a serious situation here.

What I have:
-SP3 i5 128GB WIN8.1PRO with a Docking Station
-2 external monitors - ACER 272HUL (max. resolution 2560x1440)
-StatTech MSTMDP123DP

If I connect the hub to the SP3 directly, everything is OK
if I connect the hub to the docking station, no monitor worked

did you have any success to connect your external monitors via the HUB to your docking station? if yes, please let me know, how?

many thanks from germany

Pyro515

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure about the display port hubs, but I bought the HDMI version and I have been pretty happy with it. Every once in a while it messes up, but for the most part it works really well.

I can't post a link, but go to sabrepc.com and search for club-3D CSV-5300h

I am currently powering 3 monitors, a 34in 21:9 and 2 24in 1080p without issues.

Any questions, let me know.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadgerBee