Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Juan6996; Thank you so much for this info. Following your guidance, I successfully unbranded AT&T from my Lumia 920 and got Amber/GDR2 with Data Sense months ago. My phone is very stable now, works better than it ever did with AT&T branded into it. Currently have GDR3, since Microsoft opened up their Developer network to anybody who wanted to get the update preview.

My big question to you concerns other devices. I am considering moving to a Lumia 1020 or 1520, but as they are both on AT&T, I would like to find out if you believe there will be methods available to unbrand them as well. I assume it is a matter of somebody finding appropriate ROMs for use in these devices, and I thought you would be a person who might know such things.

Thanks again!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I flash my 920 will this work in South Africa?

If South Africa has GSM carriers, as it likely will, AND your 920 is unlocked, then yes.

Do know that this does NOT unlock you phone. It simply debrands your software and gets you earlier updates.

If it's locked to AT&T, you'll have to get it unlocked by other means.

Potami

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Alright I can't get on a computer right now so I only have my phone. Did a little searching but haven't found anything concrete.

If one has followed this method to flash gdr2 and Amber onto an ATT Lumia 920...is it possible to flash the stock rom/firmware back into the phone?

I'm selling my phone.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Many have tried and failed. There was one person who posted success, but he never replied when I asked how he did it. I've tried pretty much everything and posted my results here. Others have added to that list. Sadly, still no way back to stock att. What I suggest is to flash to Att Dev rom, which works, then sell.

Helang Liu

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
It seems that the "hacked" Nokia Care Suite is not accessible. And I have problem in step 9.
4.PNG
It told me to offer code, variant name and version.
I really have no idea how to deal with this condition.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the response.

What's the difference between dev rom and stock?
The ATT Dev is a developer rom. It may have code that is still in developer stages. This particular rom says it's ATT, however it really is canada in the details. Some have reported some issues with connection and stability. I am suggesting it because it is the closest you can get to the stock (only because of its name though).

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It seems that the "hacked" Nokia Care Suite is not accessible. And I have problem in step 9.

It told me to offer code, variant name and version.
I really have no idea how to deal with this condition.

look closely at this post. You need to enter the code for your phone. This depends on what region/color your phone is or what rom you want to flash to it. The post I linked is for US-ATT.
You can find a list of codes here. Enter the code you wish to flash and it will fill the rest of the cells.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The ATT Dev is a developer rom. It may have code that is still in developer stages. This particular rom says it's ATT, however it really is canada in the details. Some have reported some issues with connection and stability. I am suggesting it because it is the closest you can get to the stock (only because of its name though).
So I can go to the ATT Dev from the French Amber, correct? But I cannot go from the ATT Dev to the ATT Amber?

Where can I get the ATT Dev Rom? My 1-year warranty is coming up soon (I bought my 920 on launch-day, so I have the dust problems, and it is only getting worse) and I want to exchange it, and I figure I should at least make a marginal effort.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So I can go to the ATT Dev from the French Amber, correct? But I cannot go from the ATT Dev to the ATT Amber?

Where can I get the ATT Dev Rom? My 1-year warranty is coming up soon (I bought my 920 on launch-day, so I have the dust problems, and it is only getting worse) and I want to exchange it, and I figure I should at least make a marginal effort.
You can go from French rom to ATT Dev rom. I do not know whether it will work from French Amber to ATT Dev. I am pretty sure it will (I was able to go from Rogers Amber to ATT Dev). The ATT Dev is here. You can use this code to find the rom: RM820_059R2L5. Remember that when you download it from that site you need to remove the CRC codes from the beginning of the filenames. Everything is explained in this thread.

Helang Liu

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
look closely at this post. You need to enter the code for your phone. This depends on what region/color your phone is or what rom you want to flash to it. The post I linked is for US-ATT.
You can find a list of codes here. Enter the code you wish to flash and it will fill the rest of the cells.

I did get code for NCS, but it still not work at all. I think te problem is NCS aren't able to get access to data package.
5.PNG

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I did get code for NCS, but it still not work at all. I think te problem is NCS aren't able to get access to data package.
then download your package from here. Remember to remove the CRC code from the beginning of the filenames once you downloaded them.
This post shows you what the files should look like and were they should be located for flashing.

Also, it's not a good idea to have automatic product selection enabled. That may interfere with the goal of flashing something other than the phone was designed for. Looks like you are offline, in which case NCS won't be able to find anything to begin with. You need to be online with the hacked version of NCS.

don't forget to click the thanks button.

Last edited:

Potami

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Alright so what would be your guys' advice. I want/need to get back on android or ios because of apps i need for work. I've put out the ad on craigslist asking for trade offers. Should I leave my phone's software as is(gdr3 dev with french amber) and just hope the person is cool with that when they want to trade? Or should I attempt to flash the att dev onto the phone just so the phone can seem to be OK/stock when they first get it...

I have to say that I hate selling or trading things that I know are going to fail or have problems.

If a person bought my phone with the software as is and tried to use it with att...would they have problems?

Potami

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Yea I bought this phone second hand. I'm a no-contract guy.

Has it been confirmed whether or not if people who have flashed to the French amber will get all future updates?

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I would like to do this - my front camera is covered in dust. Will ATT do warranty exchanges for this?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I would like to do this - my front camera is covered in dust. Will ATT do warranty exchanges for this?
if you can show them that the dust is interfering with the proximity sensor they should exchange it. Or you could claim that the proximity sensor fails sporadically and that the front camera often shows a very blurry picture when skyping. You may not get your phone back right away and be without it for a few days. And there is a small possibility that they decide that it can be repaired and they send it in for repair instead of an exchange.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
if you can show them that the dust is interfering with the proximity sensor they should exchange it. Or you could claim that the proximity sensor fails sporadically and that the front camera often shows a very blurry picture when skyping. You may not get your phone back right away and be without it for a few days. And there is a small possibility that they decide that it can be repaired and they send it in for repair instead of an exchange.

Front-facing photos look terrible, and I've never gotten the Glance feature to work - I assume that would be sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria