Edge is behaving, even on Windows Central. Here's why

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I just installed the new hosts file and have a couple questions. The Readme says hosts files larger than 135kb tend to slow down the machine. The new file is 498kb.

1. Does it slow Edge or IE performance or the whole PC?

2. Has anyone had this effect on a relatively new Windows 10 machine?

BTW, I saw the workaround if it's an issue.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Ad Block for IE11. Anyone know if changing the host file is better than Ad Block?

The hosts file is a system-wide configuration so it will apply to all apps that access the internet, not just IE. If you use multiple browsers or are also concerned about other apps then the hosts file is more efficient.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I just installed the new hosts file and have a couple questions. The Readme says hosts files larger than 135kb tend to slow down the machine. The new file is 498kb.

1. Does it slow Edge or IE performance or the whole PC?

2. Has anyone had this effect on a relatively new Windows 10 machine?

BTW, I saw the workaround if it's an issue.

I suppose the hosts file makes the routing table a lot larger and gives the PC more to process on the network side, but a reasonably decent PC should handle it ok. If you do netstat -r at a command prompt you should see a much larger list with the hosts file mod than without, so more for it to think about.

If there is an impact it would affect the whole PC, not just Edge. Personally I haven't noticed any performance impact on a two year old low-end box that I upgraded from 8 to 10.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I suppose the hosts file makes the routing table a lot larger and gives the PC more to process on the network side, but a reasonably decent PC should handle it ok. If you do netstat -r at a command prompt you should see a much larger list with the hosts file mod than without, so more for it to think about.

Actually, this is a load of bunk. The hosts file has nothing to do with the routing table, it is about name resolution. I think I had too much holiday cheer. Maybe a large hosts file would slow down resolving names, but I can't imagine it would be very noticeable.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I tried changing host and works but then clicking stuff on other sites, search engine etc does not work. No other site I have been to is this hosed. Please fix. This is stupid people have to change hosts file to use. If I search for a coupon code, best price etc, if anything is an ad, you are totally screwed.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I know this will be a pointless question since root access would be required, but has anyone found any way at all to do something similar on W10M?

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Someone has to read the adverts otherwise we would be in deep dudu.

Just as soon as advertising servers stop inadvertently hosting and serving malware/viruses, I'll stop blocking the ads. Advertisements on the web is one of the most easily exploitable methods of serving up harmful software without your consent.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
For me, the want to block ads stems from the 1m 45s per page load time on sites like WC when I am using m phone in continuum. (not an exaggeration.)

Better option - release a universal windows app for WC. But it's looking like they won't do that anytime soon.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks to OP for a second time, I wiped my PC a bit ago and forgot about this, WC became unusable on Edge again so I started using IE when coming on the site.

The app is all well and good but I keep on forgetting and it doesn't auto-update so you have to click refresh and when I am browsing I want to use a browser

Edge now working fast again ;-)

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Conspiracy theory time... WindowsCentral uses googlesyndication for (some of) it's adverts.
Edge really struggles with windowscentral.com
Edge doesn't struggle with other sites that don't have such heavy (google) advertising.

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think the browser isn't to blame and that it's (intentionally) badly coded adverts that are causing the issues people are moaning about.
There are lots of resource hungry sites, that aren't swamped by adverts, which don't cripple Edge.

Karl Z

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I displayed a single page in Edge, from WindowsCentral - nothing else, and my Edge browser was consuming over 900 MB of memory! That is excessive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss