Edit Exchange Settings HTC One m8

M Reno

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Just received my new HTC One m8 on Verizon. :)

We use an Exchange 2010 Server at our office.

Setup the email, connected to the server, and was able to successfully download mail, contacts, calendar, etc. Seemed to work OK. Both Inbound and Outbound test successful.

Then I clicked "BCC Myself" and found a problem. The BCC attempt to send to user(at)domain, instead of user(at)domain.com. (Missing the .com).

When I go into the SETTINGS for email + accounts, I can see it lists the Exchange "E" icon, as well as name I assigned to the account. Below it, I see user(at)domain. Not sure how that happened. Bug or error? No matter, oh well, mistakes happen... just need to fix. But can't figure out how to fix?

When I go into the settings, I can change a few things like Account name, download frequency, password, and server. But I cannot edit the User Name, and cannot edit the Domain.

And NOWHERE do I see an option to edit the email address.

Oddly enough, the return address in the email seems correct (I can email myself, receive the email, and reply). However, the BCC still generates an "Undeliverable" error. The diagnostic info is: #554 5.4.4 SMTPSEND.DNS.NonExistentDomain; nonexistent domain ##

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Looking through my phone, looks like you'll have to remove the account and recreate it. Should be pretty painless. It asks for the email address at creation time and it doesn't look like there's a place to change it post-setup.

You can email yourself and reply to the email probably because your exchange servers know it's coming from you and associate the email with your account. You can't BCC yourself because the BCC is handled by the phone and not the exchange servers, the servers don't see the BCC and say "oh, that's John!" they just see "there's no .com on this address..."

Hope that makes sense.

M Reno

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that did fix it. It was less painless than I expected.

I have noticed a few additional oddities.

When I recreated the account, I did not check the "BCC myself setting".

But I noticed that it puts a copy of my reply in my PHONE inbox (and groups with the original message), but it does NOT put the reply in my EXCHANGE inbox.

Anyway, I'll continue to probe this and learn.

Appreciate your suggestion! :)

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
But I noticed that it puts a copy of my reply in my PHONE inbox (and groups with the original message), but it does NOT put the reply in my EXCHANGE inbox.
It could be part of Exchange's "conversations" feature that attempts to organize email threads into conversations based on the Subject, instead of having emails from the same conversation spread out through several folders. Here's an example of a conversation thread in my inbox (with items in my Inbox, the itshd-tl folder, and my sent items). So the email I sent isn't technically a "copy" in my Inbox - it exists in the sent items folder but is just displayed inline with the rest of the related emails.

Here is some information from Microsoft that may explain it better than I can.

4su3eu4.png

And in the three-dot settings menu:

vihu8Cl.png

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers