Error when trying update 830

brian stabinger

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I have a new 830, which came NIB, in a AT&T box; It's a black frame model.

My point in getting this was to update it to W10. As I've done in the past, I've installed Insider, Fast, and when I go to 'Update', I get the (attached) error. I've tried updating this before ever inserting a (AT&T) SIM card (from existing 950), as well as with the SIM inserted.

Any idea what the deal is? It says downloading update, gets to about 63%, then throws the error. I've tried this a half dozen times, now. I can assure there is no issue with the "internet connection".

Thanks!

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170518_0001.png
    wp_ss_20170518_0001.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 1
  • wp_ss_20170518_0002.png
    wp_ss_20170518_0002.png
    160 KB · Views: 1

brian stabinger

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Update (per some found suggestions):

> Inserted SD card, same result
> Disabled WiFi (and update via cellular), get message "You must connect to wifi to download the update" (Data Sense is set to No Limit)

Running a network speed test, my wifi clocks-in at 115MB/s, so it's not a wifi/internet connectivity issue.

Dang! This is frustrating.

brian stabinger

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Update:

Maybe this is well-known, but I failed to search/find this as a solution. I ran Windows Device Recovery Tool (forgot I even had it installed), and it detected a newer version of software/firmware for the 830. After running the tool, it updated just fine. I then used the Update Advisor app to kick-start the W10 update process. A few restarts, and updates later, all works great. Maybe this (WDRT) is such a stupidly simple answer. I don't know. It worked for me!

I'm using the release version (eg. Non-Insiders) of W10, and I have to say, it works surprisingly well. In side-by-side comparison with my 950, I'd say they're remarkably similar, to the point where speed-wise, it's hard to tell the two apart.

So far I've had no issues with the 830 running W10. Camera works great, Wi-Fi tethering is quicker and more liable than on my 950. I'm running "show more tiles", and I think it looks fantastic; Pixelization is not noticeable, to the point that, to me, it's irrelevant. With the screen profile set to 'Vivid' it helps to overcome some of the drawbacks of IPS.

Anyway, all good, and loving my new 830. Man, Nokia made some incredible hardware. It's nice that you can still find NIB NOS on places like eBay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny