Falling in love with WP8; Here are the apps I use (former iPhone 4 user)

T-rom09

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The yelp app for WP8 is awful- you can't sign in to check anything or post pictures. All you can do is search for and find business. I've griped to Yelp about the lack of functionality with the WP app.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should make it difficult for Google services don't play well on the Windows OS. The PRIME platform where Google makes the lions share of its ad revenue.

Alas, if they do that, Google the Search Monopolist will complain to the government that Microsoft is "abusing its OS monopoly," and there will be fines, etc.

I prefer to think of Microsoft's strategy as competing in the real world. So Google sucks on Microsoft OSes? No problem -- replace 'em with Bing and Skydrive and Outlook.com and Office Web on the Microsoft side, and then extend that to the Apple and Android side, until Google's Gone. ;)

troxter

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Missing apps:
1. Dropbox
2. TuneIn
3. Barclays UK mobile app
4. Skype ( no option for rear camera, send, receive file not supported )
5. Data counter ( data sense, counter doesn't exist on wp8... shame )
6. Team Viewer
7. Team Speak
8. Ventrilo
I will stay with device for few months, I am lucky, cause I keep my old iPhone 3gs and iPad3.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, why you need teamspeak and ventrilo on a phone? If you plan on playing games, wouldn't you used the desktop for that and not on phone?

Missing apps:
1. Dropbox
2. TuneIn
3. Barclays UK mobile app
4. Skype ( no option for rear camera, send, receive file not supported )
5. Data counter ( data sense, counter doesn't exist on wp8... shame )
6. Team Viewer
7. Team Speak
8. Ventrilo
I will stay with device for few months, I am lucky, cause I keep my old iPhone 3gs and iPad3.

troxter

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, why you need teamspeak and ventrilo on a phone? If you plan on playing games, wouldn't you used the desktop for that and not on phone?
E.G I am playing WoW. Sometimes I can't raid with my guild, but I like to hear what is going on.

awgneo

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
@eltonsaul

- Flashlight XT works fine on WP8 :) Sorry, my note was for "LED Flashlist" (a different application). I will make this clearer ;)

@BioDave

- OneNote is fine for note taking; I am looking for more "to-do" functionality with scheduling and a clean concept of "this task is done"

@rantanplan1980

- Authenticator by Matt McCormick ;)

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Love the list of apps! Thanks a ton for creating this thread. I'm moving over from a iphone 3gs and while not a heavy app user it's nice to see alternatives. My big ones right now are instagram and of course Facebook, and Pandora. One aspect I LOVE about WP8 is the customization of the phone. I hated how stale my iphone had become. One app that was pointed out to me is Wiztiles. It apparently lets you make custom live tiles and even break a photo into tiles. Looks way cool. Anyone else using it?

Wiztiles | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just the Mint app on the windows store. What's wrong with that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm happy to be wrong, but I don't see a Mint app anywhere, feel free to link it.

- OneNote is fine for note taking; I am looking for more "to-do" functionality with scheduling and a clean concept of "this task is done"

OneNote does have checklist ability, it's a button down below. If you want a schedule though then yes look elsewhere. The default calendar app though does have a todo column complete with schedule, reminders, and checklists to be completed.

ltimadriver

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
To be honest there are some really good quality apps in the store, but they are paid apps.

I just saw that Bing rewards can be exchanged for money to spend on buying apps. If you have not already started using Bing rewards, as a windows phone user you should consider it.

misticjeff

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if there is a nice "File Manager" type of program for WP8? Something I can use to actually "Browse" the phone's file system? It would be a nice thing to have for troubleshooting/"power-user" type of functionality.

skendrot

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Great post. Try Flashlight-X - I have a 920 and it doesn't crash. There is a free version (ads).

Maybe I should try MetroRadio again. I found Graffiti Radio much better on WP7. Biggest gripe before was that if I paused earlier in the day, MetroRadio would not seemlessly pick up where I left off like Graffiti does.

What issues are you having with Graffiti? I'd love to get those fixed for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786