First Impressions on Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
You can get also this Amazon.com : Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro 13.3-Inch Convertible 2 in 1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (59386391) Silver : Laptop Computers : Electronics
Bigger screen, better processor etc etc. same convertible performances (I used both SF 2 and YP2).
Surface isn't in competition with Lenovo's consumer-focused IdeaPad line, but with the business-focused ThinkPad line. Things like active digitizers and dual-band wireless are in the ThinkPad Helix, and ThinkPad Yoga, but not the IdeaPad Yoga 2. Build quality is higher in the ThinkPad line, weight is lower, and battery life is longer. Engineering this combination is expensive, making it appeal to a smaller market, making the per-unit price even higher.

Yes, the Yoga 2 has a larger screen with a higher resolution. But it weighs 3.1 lb., effectively making it never a tablet for protracted periods of time. Battery life is too short. It has no pen. In what way is the IdeaPad Yoga 2 in competition with the Surface Pro 3?

No products compete in the ways that they are common (they both have screens, CPUs, and batteries). Consumers looks for the distinctions. The Yoga 2 has an amazingly high screen resolution which the Surface can't touch. For someone who wants a laptop than can occasionally by twisted into a tablet or an easel-like mode, the Yoga 2 is a better choice than Surface. For someone focused on light weight, long life, and pen use, the SP3 makes far more sense.

Both products are priced where their markets think that they're worth.

The_New_Normal

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I like:

Connected standby
Wedge style keyboard raising
Larger screen
i7 option
Slimmer
Wider kick
Front facing speakers
Newer power port

I dislike:

Windows button where my wrist sits when writing
Larger screen (I know it's on both lists)
No GPS or 4G
No wacom
i5 same as SP2
Not waiting for broadwell

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that the SP3 takes a full-sized SD card. Does anybody know what the maximum storage capacity the SP3 will support?

Sure looks full-size, but it is micro as stated above.

People have successfully used the new 128gb cards in the Nokia 1520 phones. As long as they are the super duper ultra extreme ones with the highest transfer rates, they seem to do fine.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter - SDSDQUA-128G-G46A: Computers & Accessories

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that the SP3 takes a full-sized SD card. Does anybody know what the maximum storage capacity the SP3 will support?

As long as they are the super duper ultra extreme ones with the highest transfer rates, they seem to do fine.

All microSD/HC/XC cards (Ultra or Pro or whatever be the name a manufacturer uses) ought to work fine on the SP3 just as they do on all the previous Surfaces. Currently the 128GB version is only available from a single manufacturer (SanDisk) and in a single variant (Ultra) so there's no real choice at the high end, but I have tested it with every Surface model so far and there have been no problems.

As long as the manufacturer follows the microSD specs their devices should support even future microSDXC cards up to 2TB. If they have artificially restricted the max supported size then a firmware update should be all that's required once the new card's been tested with the device.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
All microSD/HC/XC cards (Ultra or Pro or whatever be the name a manufacturer uses) ought to work fine on the SP3 just as they do on all the previous Surfaces. Currently the 128GB version is only available from a single manufacturer (SanDisk) and in a single variant (Ultra) so there's no real choice at the high end, but I have tested it with every Surface model so far and there have been no problems.

As long as the manufacturer follows the microSD specs their devices should support even future microSDXC cards up to 2TB. If they have artificially restricted the max supported size then a firmware update should be all that's required once the new card's been tested with the device.
Are your able to install programs and apps to the the SD card?

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Programs (.exe's) are fine; app store apps are more of a problem. But those are pretty small, so even the smallest sku should be adequate for those.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Programs (.exe's) are fine; app store apps are more of a problem. But those are pretty small, so even the smallest sku should be adequate for those.

Not really. If you like to install and try out various Metro apps, especially games that may be 2GBs or more in size, the free space on the 64GB version is going to be inadequate

Jordan Laureano1

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Surface pro 3 is one big step forward . Comparing it with its competitors. Its the in thing now. Very flexible device. What I like about it is the SNAP and of course casting images etc to several t.v and monitors . Windows is a powerful OS.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Are your able to install programs and apps to the the SD card?

you cannot install windows apps without moving symbolic links which is tedious and prone to breaking.

you can install windows desktop programs. however, even if you install Photoshop or some other monster PC program to the memory card, they still install many components to drive C:. so the bottom line is if you plan on using the machine for a long time, try to buy as much onboard storage as possible.

Jordan Laureano1

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Surface pro 3 hits a home run . it's even more appealing to new users . As more and more enterprise adopts surface pro 3, it will soon create an appeal to most business users. Surface pro 3 is a complete package. Just a simple demonstration to new users will make them super satisfied as they grow more closer to using this surface pro 3. I love it.

mikeakanice

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm inlove with this device. I pre ordered the I5 256 option. As long as the battery lasts me 7-9 hours of me doing whatever I want I'll be a happy camper.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm inlove with this device. I pre ordered the I5 256 option. As long as the battery lasts me 7-9 hours of me doing whatever I want I'll be a happy camper.
There's something we can agree on! I originally ordered the i5, 4GB, 128 GB model, but decided that it would be for my wife, so I ordered myself an i5 256 as well. I'm anxious to get them both.

Don Lynch

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
notifications with surface pro 3

has anyone have issues with this? I finally got email notifications working on it but calendar events are not popping up at all. I know I have it turned on and permissions as well. Any thoughts?

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
notifications with surface pro 3

has anyone have issues with this? I finally got email notifications working on it but calendar events are not popping up at all. I know I have it turned on and permissions as well. Any thoughts?

What calendar are you trying to sync the App to?, if it's a Google Calendar, it will not work since Google removed the code to support it last year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria