from 32bit to 64bit - FRESH INSTALLATION

Dr Sammy

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10,
and have a lot of data in all drives, its showing red mark and I think 90-95% is full.

I've decided to take some time away from work and dump all my data into a hard drive, which I have to buy, probably a Seagate 1TB/2TB.
And I want to do a clean install, so I looked into computer properties - I found this - 32-bit operating system x64-based processor.

So, I decided to Download a 64 bit OS through the media creation tool.

I wont be changing my microsoft account, but does MICROSOFT know he is the same person through my ACCOUNT OR HARDWARE CONFIG. and let me install 64 bit instead of 32bit ''BEFORE JULY 29TH''.

What all I need to do a clean install? key? product ID?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
and have a lot of data in all drives, its showing red mark and I think 90-95% is full.

I've decided to take some time away from work and dump all my data into a hard drive, which I have to buy, probably a Seagate 1TB/2TB.
And I want to do a clean install, so I looked into computer properties - I found this - 32-bit operating system x64-based processor.

I wont be changing my microsoft account, but does MICROSOFT know he is the same person through my ACCOUNT OR HARDWARE CONFIG. and let me install 64 bit instead of 32bit ''BEFORE JULY 29TH''.

the 8.1 product key is not valid to install 10.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well the thing about 32 versus 64 bit is the OEM version of Windows the 32 and 64 bit products are treated as separate products. Menaing they are purcahsed separately. The retail package includes both the 32 bit and 64 bit licenses. You can use the Windows 8.1 key to install Windows 10 if that Windows 8.1 is a valid key key. When the upgrade came out the only way to upgrade was to have 8.1 installed first and do the upgrade but in a later build MS made it so you could enter the valid WIndows 7 or 8.1 key and Windows 10 would be activated during the install.

Dr Sammy

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Well the thing about 32 versus 64 bit is the OEM version of Windows the 32 and 64 bit products are treated as separate products. Menaing they are purcahsed separately. The retail package includes both the 32 bit and 64 bit licenses. You can use the Windows 8.1 key to install Windows 10 if that Windows 8.1 is a valid key key. When the upgrade came out the only way to upgrade was to have 8.1 installed first and do the upgrade but in a later build MS made it so you could enter the valid WIndows 7 or 8.1 key and Windows 10 would be activated during the install.

Thanks for the reply, I need to now a lot before I do a clean install because I cant let my work get struck even for 2-3 hours.
So, striaght up after the installation I gotta do required app work and move to my work.
1. And is there any need of PRODUCT ID somewhere in the installation or is it just for Micosoft interests.
2. So, the Windows 8.1 key is enough? Is the windows 8.1 key and Windows 10 key the same or Microsoft 'assigned' a special key to me?

3. And a basic info needed, I have a 500GB HDD, I use 50GB for drive C now(3 drives in total), what would be IDEAL space for C drive if I choose 2 drives for that given 500GB?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

the 8.1 product key is not valid to install 10.

You have already upgraded to Windows 10 once. Therefore most of the above is obsolete/misleading/wrong.

That first upgrade created a Digital Entitlement on Microsoft's servers, based on your existing hardware. Assuming the hardware didn't change (or if it did it was minor changes), all you need to do a clean Windows 10 install is the install media. 32-bit or 64-bit, doesn't matter. You don't need a product key or anything else, when it's installed it will activate based on that already existing Digital Entitlement. What does matter is that it's the same edition (Home, Pro, Single Language, etc) as what you upgraded to originally.

Further, if your install media is TH2 (10586) or newer, you can in fact use a Windows 8.1 (or 7 or 8) product key when it asks.

Dr Sammy

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
You have already upgraded to Windows 10 once. Therefore most of the above is obsolete/misleading/wrong.

That first upgrade created a Digital Entitlement on Microsoft's servers, based on your existing hardware. Assuming the hardware didn't change (or if it did it was minor changes), all you need to do a clean Windows 10 install is the install media. 32-bit or 64-bit, doesn't matter. You don't need a product key or anything else, when it's installed it will activate based on that already existing Digital Entitlement. What does matter is that it's the same edition (Home, Pro, Single Language, etc) as what you upgraded to originally.

Further, if your install media is TH2 (10586) or newer, you can in fact use a Windows 8.1 (or 7 or 8) product key when it asks.

Hi, thanks for the enlightment about Digital Entitlement. My laptop was on Windows 8.1 Professional now its on Windows 10 Pro.
I will keep my WiFi ON and start a clean install and when the 'enter Micosoft account' screen loads up, I will enter my account ID, I guess that begins up the process and I logged into my account and under 'Your devices', I see my laptop model with SERIAL # and Windows 10 Professional under it. I didnt make any hardware changes, so thats it I guess the servers do their job.... as you said about Digital Entitlement.

TH2 (10586)? This is the build after the initial release, November Refresh update by Microsoft, right? The version I get using the media creation tool to get the Windows Pro 10 to a USB or DVD is the INITIAL TH1 Build 10240, right? I believe Microsoft doesnt update the software in the media creation tool, I think its 3GB as before.

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I can't say for sure (I never use the thing) but I think the media creation tool builds 10586 currently.

I always recommend the Techbench downloads instead because it gets you an untouched ISO instead of all the work the tool does. Tech Bench

Dr Sammy

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I can't say for sure (I never use the thing) but I think the media creation tool builds 10586 currently.

I always recommend the Techbench downloads instead because it gets you an untouched ISO instead of all the work the tool does. Tech Bench

Thanks for telling me about Tech Bench, I was unaware of it. It seems to have 4 in 1 format for the ISO (Pro and Home both 32 and 64 bit).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720