Gasp ! W10 on the verge of installing, how do I back out?

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to see if my Fido Lumia 830 was eligible for the W10 update - Denim taking forever in Canada, so I went ahead and enabled Fast Track in Insider.

Now it's popping the full page notification that W10 is ready to install, and it will install on the 17th if I do nothing.

Gasp! How do I back out, without going full reset?

I don't actually want to install W10 just yet. This is my main/only phone, but it's not that critical to me: I could go W10, but would rather not deal with the sluggishness, glitches and high battery consumption for now - maybe I'll hop on the next build.

Suggestions?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to see if my Fido Lumia 830 was eligible for the W10 update - Denim taking forever in Canada, so I went ahead and enabled Fast Track in Insider.

Now it's popping the full page notification that W10 is ready to install, and it will install on the 17th if I do nothing.

Gasp! How do I back out, without going full reset?

I don't actually want to install W10 just yet. This is my main/only phone, but it's not that critical to me: I could go W10, but would rather not deal with the sluggishness, glitches and high battery consumption for now - maybe I'll hop on the next build.

Suggestions?

No a full reset is needed so use Lumia software recovery tool flash your phone.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-backup-restore

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can stop it, however, you can back-up your data, then either
a) update to W10 and see if it fits you, if not recover usin the MS tool
b) hard reset
and then restore from the back up

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, not inclined to do a hard reset nor flashing the device, unless absolutely necessary.

Seems I'll be having a taste of W10 then... :sweaty:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Doing a hard reset isn't all that "hard"... Just be sure to back everything up first. (go to settings/backup and make sure everything is "on" to save your apps, settings, text conversations (if you need to keep those)) Save all your pictures. All of your apps, settings, contacts, etc will be restored upon the first startup when you sign into your Microsoft account. There's really nothing to it...

You might lose your progress in certain games, but whoopie, you're going to lose most of that anyway installing the Win10 preview, which by the sound of it, you didn't really want in the first place....

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
No, doing a hard reset isn't "hard", but it still takes a bunch more time and hassle than not having to do it.

Jumped into W10. Not that bad actually... Some glitches, but still very good overall.
About the restore after a reset: do you have to set all your accounts info back in? (fb, twitter, etc.) Or do they come back with the restore?
Btw, I did not lose any game progress going into W10.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, well good then. Let us know what else you find as many of us don't have the preview yet.

About your accounts, they should be restored, as your game progress was saved, I would think your account login info would be as well. Let us know if it wasn't.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo