Got an answer today at the Verizon store on why they don't like to sell Windows phones...

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Lol I had a better look at the discussion here and thought I should edit my post…

The app gap and everything is real. There is no way around that. The market share is so low, that even to the stores it does not make big sense to keep the devices on display. I don’t think there is a conspiracy here anywhere, that’s market economy.

With Windows Phone you will be missing many of the apps iOS and Android has, or at least the apps lack features and are rarely updated. WP Instagram is in BETA for god sakes! One of the most used app FACEBOOK was few months ago so horrible, that Im sure hell is something where people are forced to use it over and over again... Even though its better now it still lacks features and does give the occasional "cant get data right now" or whatever it is.

Even operators have costs on supporting devices and pushing OS updates to them. Im sure Verizon for example didn’t make any money from ICON when you take out all costs that went in to the support and promotion.

Last edited:

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyone that finds a WP to complicated, also thinks a Keurig is overly complicated, guaranteed. Ignorance is a blissful sleepwalk through life.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The interface is actually very easy to use but people are ignorant against it due to windows 8. They always say it's so complicated until they actually try it out

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Here is my story:
With WPs: 5 minutes to get used to the navigation and 10 minutes to use the OS like a boss. (without user manual and any guide)
With iPhones: 5 hours to just figure out a way to close all the apps and open the Siri because somehow it was turned off. (without user manual and any guide)
With Android Phones: still no luck till this day. I can never try all the features of the damn OS. (again without user manual)
So, it's the laziness of people, not the fault of Windows.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is an easy sell to anyone over 50. It's light years ahead of any feature phone and those providing it has Facebook and Skype for the grandkids they're happy. They also feel safe with Windows.

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The start screen is just a advanced desktop. It's got tiles which are basically just active icons that can be resized. Nothing hard about this OS, just laziness and yes a gap of apps which really isn't a issue for me but many want what is comfortable to them.

Ryan Cote

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
All about the Benjamin! There's not a mad rush to get Windows Phones in the USA. No high demand, then no major push from the vendors.

Scouseman

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I have two family members who returned their Lumias because they said it was difficult to use. I actually find it easier to navigate than the Androids I've owned. Their is you home screen and you swipe left to get your apps list. Very simply, unlike Android with endless sideways scrolling and static icons. As far as apps, my Lumia 925 have all that I need(banking, sports, messaging etc.) When I purchased my phone from t mobile the guy there was surprised that's what I came there for and they only had one there. I did appreciate the Rep mentioning the 8.1 update coming up at the time. He also mentioned the Developers Preview which made me somewhat pleased with my visit. Before I purchased the 925 at this particular store, I went to the closest TMO store near me. When the guy found out I was there for a Windows Phone and not a Samsung or iPhone he just walked away and literally told me to "look elsewhere".

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Anyone that finds a WP to complicated, also thinks a Keurig is overly complicated, guaranteed. Ignorance is a blissful sleepwalk through life.

Motto of the common consumer. It doesn't change the outcome though. If the consumer doesn't think it is friendly, they don't buy it.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Noticed the Poster of this post and I just shook my head and laughed as I am not surprised.

The interface is perfectly fine. While it looks different, a Live tile and resizing it and setting it up on your start screen is no different than setting up a widget on Android. Given the fact that in our store, a lot of Windows Phones owners are senior citizens who are looking for their first smartphone and go for phones like the 520, 530 and 630....just because your family struggles with it(poor them) doesn't mean it is not user friendly.

Exactly I can see someone saying "it is too simple it feels dumbed down" vs "It's complicated to use."
Anyone who struggles to use a Windows Phone, I have to question what other things they struggle with. We may not have a tutorial but if a tile says "Phone" common sense would tell you that is the phone option. The live tiles are even more self-explanatory in what they do than the Widgets/icons of android.

The only thing I could probably see someone struggling with is the hot mess of our settings menu(I still have a hard time finding certain settings when I need them).

Superboy Troll is back. Instead of a mature conversation, you attack the individual.

Back on subject...

If the interface is so fine, explain to me why I have yet to find someone who isn't tech savvy find it friendly?

"I" think it is fine. I am not an average consumer though. I have plenty of oohs and ahhhs when people see my phone, until they see what is on my phone. Then is it is, "oh..."

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Superboy Troll is back. Instead of a mature conversation, you attack the individual.

Back on subject...

If the interface is so fine, explain to me why I have yet to find someone who isn't tech savvy find it friendly?

"I" think it is fine. I am not an average consumer though. I have plenty of oohs and ahhhs when people see my phone, until they see what is on my phone. Then is it is, "oh..."

I wasn't attacking you :) It's no different and Ironic even you claim that when you do the same thing to me everytime I say something about the M8 you don't like or agree with and label someone with a differing opinion and who is vocal about the opinion a TROLL instead of accepting a differing opinion ;) How very hypocritical of you LOL.

Back on topic, of course.....

Idk why you haven't found someone who is not tech savvy who find it friendly. However, I am basing it off of my own sales experience as I have to deal with non-tech people daily basis(much more now due to my internship) and I don't see anyone struggling with Windows Phone anymore than an iPhone or Android

I even managed to convince an android guy at my school to give WIndows Phone a try. He owned a M8 and He likes his phone but he is a bit bothered by various Android annoyances, so I managed to convince him to at least check out the M8.

I don't necessarily think for most consumers the OS is hard or difficult for them or it is not user friendly. Like someone said, it is DIFFERENT.

There is nothing non-user friendly about it. It's easy for someone who has never used a smartphone to adapt, however people who are stuck in an Android or IOS world may find it hard to adapt. It doesn't mean it is not user friendly...it simply means, that we're stuck/trained in our ways.

Lord knows, I struggled with an Android phone recently as I am so hardwired to Windows Phone. I don't necessarily think Android is not user friendly, I simply am Not used to how it is(and I find the OS horrible, but I digress)

Victor Harshman

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
What Microsoft needs to do is to offer "cool" video tutorials for first time users. Not only for the phone but also for their operating systems .These should be built in and could be turned on and off .

When I first got Windows 8 for my pc I was lost. The only tutorial I remember for Win 8 was the arrow pointing at the upper corner to open the charms bar when the UI was installing. Where I got all my training to use Win 8 was on YouTube.

These videos could also cover other feathers: Cortana, Camera, Store, Calender, IE etc.
They could also be expanded third party app builders to help sell their apps.
Imagine going to the Windows store and instead of just looking at screen shots of apps you could view videos of them in action a great new store experience.
I am a older gentlemen and new to smart phones I got my first last April a 520 and now I have a 920.

Keep up the great work here.
P.S My Android friend hates Cortana.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Well if you think about there is little to no tutorial system when you start the phone. You have to find your way to the help and tips. It is actually not that easy to learn straight away.

Agreed. Even a five-step basic tutorial would be good - just the basics like navigating around, consistent UI principles (three dots, panorama layout etc.) and setting up the phone. I taught a friend of mine how to use his Lumia 920 (handed down) for five minutes and he got the hang of it instantly. Once you learn the basics, the rest of the OS (and most apps) have a pretty consistent UI/layout.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't. The first couple times someone tries to get their favorite app and its not there...it goes back. That is how most consumers will treat it.

That and the interface isn't very friendly. Nobody in my family (and I have a big family) enjoys using my phone because they find it difficult.

I do see how clicking on an app/tile that says facebook, whatsapp, internet explorer, calender, office, video/music, store, games would be terribly difficult as when these apps/tiles open you're faced with computer language that beings with the knowledge to the nth degree could only understand. WP and IOS are the 2 most simple OSes right now and your family find it difficult and they're people on here who've boasted about their elders operating the WP OS with ease. Don't get me wrong but honestly to come here and say that your family finds operating WP OS hard, either you're insulting their love lost for anything bar IOS/ANDROID or you're insulting us the readers of your post. Next time just post that your family hates the LACK of apps on WP and then we'll believe the "difficult to operate" sentiments.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I do see how clicking on an app/tile that says facebook, whatsapp, internet explorer, calender, office, video/music, store, games would be terribly difficult as when these apps/tiles open you're faced with computer language that beings with the knowledge to the nth degree could only understand. WP and IOS are the 2 most simple OSes right now and your family find it difficult and they're people on here who've boasted about their elders operating the WP OS with ease. Don't get me wrong but honestly to come here and say that your family finds operating WP OS hard, either you're insulting their love lost for anything bar IOS/ANDROID or you're insulting us the readers of your post. Next time just post that your family hates the LACK of apps on WP and then we'll believe the "difficult to operate" sentiments.

Please. :straight:

There is nothing I said to insult readers, or my family and friends. They simply see Android and iOS as easier. Sorry you cannot grasp that fact.

So many people cannot see past their own experiences to realize that not everyone else is them. You are a perfect example.

Feel free to disagree, heck even I think its an easy OS. But don't pretend you know what people I know (and you do not) presume to think.

I'll give you a perfect example of what is easier on every other OS out there for most people:

The dialer. The single most important part of the phone. The lack of smart dialing that people are accustomed to is horrifying for any mobile OS in 2014. The WP dialer is altogether unfriendly and borderline hostile.

I personally don't have a problem with WP past the app gap, which is considerable. However, I am not naive enough to think that everyone else feels the same way.

This all falls along the same lines as Windows 8/8.1. I have yet to meet anyone who likes it, and have had many people tell me it is hard to use. I don't have a problem with it; heck I code on it daily and use it more than Yosemite on my Mac. Yet people don't like it. I also run a side business fixing computers, hardware and software. The number one request of Windows 8 users? Make it work like Windows 7. Clearly the tile paradigm is not considered easy or desirable for everyone and the lack of adoption in WP and Windows 8/8.1 speaks volumes about that.

Last edited:

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
WP is the best OS right now despite what it lacks, anyone ever gave thought to how would ios or android stand up to it if it had everything exhibited by both ios and android at this very moment.

Last edited:

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
"Then it is, oh" WTF, are you talking to plants? The only thing right now that anybody can show me on their iPhone or Android device are apps that WP don't have. Open Facebook app I have it, open whatsapp I have it, open YT I have a facsimile that shows the EXACT same vids, open a browser I have it, open a weather app I have it as well, WTF can you show me that I don't already have other than what's not been made YET for the OS. Don't give a shyte what others think about WP as I believe it's the best looking OS right now and to me there's no IOS or ANDROID smartphone that anyone can show me that will have a better visual that MY L920 start screen layout.

Is there anyone else (IOS/ANDROID) that can show me the latest news, email, whatsapp msg, bbm, Facebook update, Facebook msg, twitter msg, missed calls(by name), birthdays, meetings, reminders on calendar WITHOUT TOUCHING THEIR PHONE TO OPEN AN IOS/ANDROID APP?? IS THERE ANYONE!!! Well FYI EVERY WP 8-8.1 OWNER CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets see:

Trello? Nope.
Offcial Youtube? Nope.
Hangouts? Nope.
Gmail app? Nope.
Teamwork? Nope
Trillian? Nope
Github? Nope
Chrome? Nope

Thats just off the top of my head for apps I wish I had and used to in iOS and Android.

Is there anyone else (IOS/ANDROID) that can show me the latest news, email, whatsapp msg, bbm, Facebook update, Facebook msg, twitter msg, missed calls(by name), birthdays, meetings, reminders on calendar WITHOUT TOUCHING THEIR PHONE TO OPEN AN IOS/ANDROID APP?? IS THERE ANYONE!!! Well FYI EVERY WP 8-8.1 OWNER CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, yeah, quite a few Android phones can. Dunno about iOS.

PS- Caps do not reinforce your point.

Last edited:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Lets see:

Trello? Nope.
Offcial Youtube? Nope.
Hangouts? Nope.
Gmail app? Nope.
Teamwork? Nope
Trillian? Nope
Github? Nope
Chrome? Nope

Thats just off the top of my head for apps I wish I had and used to in iOS and Android.

PS- Caps do not reinforce your point.

Sadly, don't expect anything Google on Windows Phone for a long time, until both companies get on better standings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss