Got an answer today at the Verizon store on why they don't like to sell Windows phones...

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
While there is clearly a difference in the number of apps available, and in the availability of specialty apps, the majority of users have access to the apps they would want to use. The biggest "gap" is in the small business and games fields. But let's be honest, people complain about the quality of app in windows phone, and I wonder if they actually use Android. The Play store is filled with 90% s#@t. Even when my son sees a specific app mentioned somewhere that he wants (yesterday he wanted Magic Piano by Smrule (I think)) we often find a dozen crap clones and then we also find the app may not be available for one of the two devices we use. For example, that Magic Piano app was not available for his Nook HD, but it was on my dual booting TouchPad using CyanagenMod 10. There have been apps that were the opposite of that. It's nuts.

What I will say is that a large chunk of new games and apps coming out are also coming out on Windows Phone. Many of the newer games are available on my phone now. When you look at the app store count, the app store is growing extremely quickly right now. We started the year around 200K, hit 300K in the summer, and I believe they hit 350K back in September. I expect the store to hit at least 400K by end of the year, but wouldn't be surprised if it hit 500K. Things are changing quickly in this area, and we'll see a ton more hit the store in the next 6 months.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
You are correct that Android market has ALOT of clones and sh!t apps, but it also has original apps that WP cannt match. I just got the LG G3 and downloaded some of my apps. For one, FB, holy sh!t WP what are you waiting for to update your FB. I feel like I am using a 1st edtion Androind 2.0 FB on WP. I left WP after 3 phones because what I needed WP did not address and probably wont still, they are way behind Android and Appple. Oh and dont get me started on Internet explorer. Thank god I have Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, etc back, dont have to deal with WP's lame IE anymore.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Constantly reading these WP vs Android makes me wonder why I upgraded to a newer WP but it's the love and butter feeling of the interface that made me stick to WP. I could have moved on to Android 4.4/5 at the earliest and enjoyed full featured apps but I didnt. I still dont recommend WP to anyone because I dont want them to feel neglected by the quality of apps and complain. I enjoy my phone, thats what matters.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
While there is clearly a difference in the number of apps available, and in the availability of specialty apps, the majority of users have access to the apps they would want to use. The biggest "gap" is in the small business and games fields. But let's be honest, people complain about the quality of app in windows phone, and I wonder if they actually use Android. The Play store is filled with 90% s#@t. Even when my son sees a specific app mentioned somewhere that he wants (yesterday he wanted Magic Piano by Smrule (I think)) we often find a dozen crap clones and then we also find the app may not be available for one of the two devices we use. For example, that Magic Piano app was not available for his Nook HD, but it was on my dual booting TouchPad using CyanagenMod 10. There have been apps that were the opposite of that. It's nuts.

What I will say is that a large chunk of new games and apps coming out are also coming out on Windows Phone. Many of the newer games are available on my phone now. When you look at the app store count, the app store is growing extremely quickly right now. We started the year around 200K, hit 300K in the summer, and I believe they hit 350K back in September. I expect the store to hit at least 400K by end of the year, but wouldn't be surprised if it hit 500K. Things are changing quickly in this area, and we'll see a ton more hit the store in the next 6 months.

This is true. 90% are junk, in each app store.

That leaves 10% decent apps in each store. 10% of 1 million+ vs. 10% of 300,000+....

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Constantly reading these WP vs Android makes me wonder why I upgraded to a newer WP but it's the love and butter feeling of the interface that made me stick to WP. I could have moved on to Android 4.4/5 at the earliest and enjoyed full featured apps but I didnt. I still dont recommend WP to anyone because I dont want them to feel neglected by the quality of apps and complain. I enjoy my phone, thats what matters.

The buttery smoothness of WP is nice. I tried a Droid Maxx for a while and it was nice, but not smooth. I'm using a LG G2 now and have to say the smoothness is awesome, almost like WP. Not sure why, but it depends on the phone you are using for sure. Like WP, but stuck on Verizon and hard to see a big future for WP there.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The buttery smoothness of WP is nice. I tried a Droid Maxx for a while and it was nice, but not smooth. I'm using a LG G2 now and have to say the smoothness is awesome, almost like WP. Not sure why, but it depends on the phone you are using for sure. Like WP, but stuck on Verizon and hard to see a big future for WP there.
It has to do with the crappy UI the OEM puts on the phone for android. Some UI aren't that heavy thus they don't bog the phone down then others are annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs