GsmArena's review of WP 8.1: We didn't do our homework properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I managed to avoid reading the article, but I was foolish and weak enough to start reading the comments. WTF is wrong with people?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There complaining that its voiced in a OS review. The store have nothing to do with the OS. If there is a app gap or not is irrelevant. I also would like to call BS on making a full review of 8.1 because its not a finished product yet. It's a Developer Preview.

So WPCentral and other sites making a review was BS too huh?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Lacking in what? Useless game apps for adolescents?

It's time to be more specific in saying this?

There are some quality apps missing,some of these are just for ios or android,and if you choose to lament over the fact that they aren't ported over that can't be helped.

The Windows store is getting better every day,and will continue to.

The one thing I have always known being a long time IOS and Android user is more isn't always better.

Mac

You and I both know, there are some really useful apps that aren`t on WP. But then again, unless you really used other platforms such as Android or iOS for an extended period of time, you of course wouldn`t notice or care.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
GSMArena is the most honest site for review.
I don't know why you guys are Angry.

1)System-wide file manager
is their a proper file manger in WP in which you can arrange files according to name or date or else. I think not.
This site is the biggest joke of the century .Feature Suggestions: Top (50217 ideas) – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
I don't know why this site exist if MS doesn't provide what users want.

2)Options for more quick toggles
Isn't their a limitation of 4 to 5 .
So, what wrong with this limitation. I think next update probably gonna solve this but still it's a limitation in WP8.1

3)Battery percentage on the status bar
Well their isn't a percentage bar. It's in notification. But I don't know how this is a limitation?
Who care for Battery percentage on the status bar.
I don't know what are GSMArena was thinking.

4)Richer app catalog
Totally agreed. considering Android and iOS app ecosystem
Example - Their is only one decent video player in WP(Moli Player) which is paid on WP and free on Android where as Android have VLC, MXplayer etc lot more than that and they are free. Moli player never consider as good as them in Android.

5)Cortana is some way behind Android and iOS rivals
No it's not just some way behind but a long way behind. First of all it is only available for US.
Even if you use it by changing region you will face accuracy problem, and cortana also not able to give much information.
It's just USA only.
So, Yeah Totally agreed Lony way behind GN and Siri..

4 out of 5 is 100% true limitation of WP.
So, why angry?
Better learn to except the truth instead of getting Angry.

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
There are certain things that I would really like MS to improve upon.
1. When I go to a music album and try to send, say two songs together via Bluetooth, I can't. I rather need to choose individually and send them.
2. I still can't send videos via Bluetooth. In fact, the entire video aspect in WP is pretty lacking. Videos still get stored in Photos hub instead of the new Videos app MS gave us. I had thought that MS would remove all these restrictions pertinent to video in 8.1 but I dunno what really happened. I might be mistaken here, so if they have removed or something, correct me.
3. They gave us a lot in Windows Phone 8.1 but took away some of the most unique features of the OS. None of the hubs, and not even the store, now has the beautiful background it previously used to have - something that made WP so appealing.
4. I don't really need a file manager but I would definitely like to see what's stored on my device - all in one place, instead of jumping between hubs.
5. The Facebook scene in Windows Phone is awful. They could have improved on what we had in WP8, like the built-in social hub, but they did away with it to a large extent in favour of some really lacking individual apps.
5. A better dialer. What we have now is fine but why doesn't the dialer integrate with the contacts hub so that when we type someone's name or number, it autofills or at least shows suggestions for available contacts?

Overall, I love ❤ MS to the bottom of my heart and even if I ever stop using a WP (God forbid), I shall love it. I respect the company for addressing most of the grievances of the people in just one year and now what they have provided us with is really really commendable. Yet there's always room for improvement and thus list is just for the betterment.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
file manager would handy..ok some of you will say use one drive but you need internet for that. If someone has no internet connection when you do some business somewhere and you need a file for one of your client what then? you know it is on the cloud but you have no access.
Instead if it is in your phone/sd card then it is easy to retrieve without the internet

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
GSMArena is the most honest site for review.
I don't know why you guys are Angry.

1)System-wide file manager
is their a proper file manger in WP in which you can arrange files according to name or date or else. I think not.
This site is the biggest joke of the century .Feature Suggestions: Top (50217 ideas) ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
I don't know why this site exist if MS doesn't provide what users want.

2)Options for more quick toggles
Isn't their a limitation of 4 to 5 .
So, what wrong with this limitation. I think next update probably gonna solve this but still it's a limitation in WP8.1

3)Battery percentage on the status bar
Well their isn't a percentage bar. It's in notification. But I don't know how this is a limitation?
Who care for Battery percentage on the status bar.
I don't know what are GSMArena was thinking.

4)Richer app catalog
Totally agreed. considering Android and iOS app ecosystem
Example - Their is only one decent video player in WP(Moli Player) which is paid on WP and free on Android where as Android have VLC, MXplayer etc lot more than that and they are free. Moli player never consider as good as them in Android.

5)Cortana is some way behind Android and iOS rivals
No it's not just some way behind but a long way behind. First of all it is only available for US.
Even if you use it by changing region you will face accuracy problem, and cortana also not able to give much information.
It's just USA only.
So, Yeah Totally agreed Lony way behind GN and Siri..

4 out of 5 is 100% true limitation of WP.
So, why angry?
Better learn to except the truth instead of getting Angry.

I agree with all your points ...minus your first point. that user voice is not a voice of everyone. not everyone wants one and as the other forums and debats pointed out there is a great divide between that. so I disagree by making a file manager necessary. look at apple, they are doing fine without one and they don't always argue for it . anyways back to topic I read the review and most of it was me thinking he could of done his homework

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with all your points ...minus your first point. that user voice is not a voice of everyone. not everyone wants one and as the other forums and debats pointed out there is a great divide between that. so I disagree by making a file manager necessary. look at apple, they are doing fine without one and they don't always argue for it . anyways back to topic I read the review and most of it was me thinking he could of done his homework

So, according to you MS follow iOS(Apple) lead instead of users voice.

First of all - WP users are different from iOS users and so does their needs.

Second - iOS isn't a benchmark. If their is something which isn't in iOS that doesn't mean it doesn't needed on WP too.

Third - Why user voice exist when MS isn't going to listen to them. Even if it doesn't represent all but it still represent many and of course the most demanded feature now.

So, their is no excuse no to providing File-Manager to us. A large portion of users want it.

Atleast this is what I think.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
So, according to you MS follow iOS(Apple) lead instead of users voice.

First of all - WP users are different from iOS users and so does their needs.

Second - iOS isn't a benchmark. If their is something which isn't in iOS that doesn't mean it doesn't needed on WP too.

Third - Why user voice exist when MS isn't going to listen to them. Even if it doesn't represent all but it still represent many and of course the most demanded feature now.

So, their is no excuse no to providing File-Manager to us. A large portion of users want it.

Atleast this is what I think.
1) that is true I agree bad comparison on my part

2) I can also argue with any OS just because another OS has a file manager doesn't mean widows phone has to have it now

3) they said and I quote from them 'Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-)" which implies they didn't do it out of their free will but were mandated to put it there, which I think mean they don't even have to listen to what users want .

4) like I said before there has been many debates about feature that on the other side demand for and swear by it, but on the other side others don't want said thing. I for one would hate for it to happen and a large potion of users would not want it .so don't speak for the people who don't want it

5) that's what I think, anyway im not here to talk about a file manager and what not but I do disagree with what that reviewer said about its necessary that a file manager is needed

Last edited:

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

2) I can also argue with any OS just because another OS has a file manager doesn't mean widows phone has to have it now

3) they said and I quote from them 'Standard Disclaimer – our lawyers made us put this here ;-)" which implies they didn't do it out of their free will but were mandated to put it there, which I think mean they don't even have to listen to what users want .

4) like I said before there has been many debates about feature that on the other side demand for and swear by it, but on the other side others don't want said thing. I for one would hate for it to happen and a large potion of users would not want it .so don't speak for the people who don't want it

5) that's what I think, anyway im not here to talk about a file manager and what not but I do disagree with what that reviewer said about its necessary that a file manager is needed

on 4th one
I said Large number of users want file manager and you said large number of user doesn't want it.

If you guys don't want it then don't use it.
Where else are large number user want it then provide them.
I don't think you guys have problem if MS provide it. It will probably the useless for you

I also read about iOS review long time back, I am not sure but that time in iOS GSMArena put them File Manager in limitation of iOS too.
and well considering the File-Manager most demanded feature or the hottest feature in WP , I think GSMAreana is right about file manager.
Well that also depend on mod who write review.
If I wrote it - I'll put File Manager as limitation
but if you wrote it you doesn't mention this in limitation.

I think the mod who wrote that review see File-Manager as important .
Their is nothing to get angry about it.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

3) they said and I quote from them 'Standard Disclaimer ? our lawyers made us put this here ;-)" which implies they didn't do it out of their free will but were mandated to put it there, which I think mean they don't even have to listen to what users want .

on 4th one
I said Large number of users want file manager and you said large number of user doesn't want it.

I don't think you guys have problem if MS provide it. It will probably the useless for you

I also read about iOS review long time back, I am not sure but that time in iOS GSMArena put them File Manager in limitation of iOS too.
and well considering the File-Manager most demanded feature or the hottest feature in WP , I think GSMAreana is right about file manager.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
on 4th one

but think about, why should something implemented when half the users wont need it or use it ? that would seem like a total waste of time to implement it . I would have a problem if it were to implement it because then it would probably change the way I would have to use my phone. I would have to worry about files and what goes where and this and that. I don't know about you but me and I would go as far as to say people don't want to manage their phone. they just want to use it and it works. I guess its on perspective on who wrote it. I know I would put it as a limitation because to me I have no need for one but others do. what I don't like is when reviewers act like its detrimental if the OS doesn't have a file manager.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
file manager is not a necessity!! as for lack of apps - lol, i dont find a lack of apps, atleast for a phone which does everything and still has enough battery to last nearly 1.5 days
ios proved that file managers arent needed long ago , android proved what happens when u delete some file off ur storage and the phone crashes so yeah as long as vlc for wp8.1 has the ability to read unsupported(by native apps) files, its all good
file manager just complicates things

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
There are certain things that I would really like MS to improve upon.
1. When I go to a music album and try to send, say two songs together via Bluetooth, I can't. I rather need to choose individually and send them.
2. I still can't send videos via Bluetooth. In fact, the entire video aspect in WP is pretty lacking. Videos still get stored in Photos hub instead of the new Videos app MS gave us. I had thought that MS would remove all these restrictions pertinent to video in 8.1 but I dunno what really happened. I might be mistaken here, so if they have removed or something, correct me.
3. They gave us a lot in Windows Phone 8.1 but took away some of the most unique features of the OS. None of the hubs, and not even the store, now has the beautiful background it previously used to have - something that made WP so appealing.
4. I don't really need a file manager but I would definitely like to see what's stored on my device - all in one place, instead of jumping between hubs.
5. The Facebook scene in Windows Phone is awful. They could have improved on what we had in WP8, like the built-in social hub, but they did away with it to a large extent in favour of some really lacking individual apps.
5. A better dialer. What we have now is fine but why doesn't the dialer integrate with the contacts hub so that when we type someone's name or number, it autofills or at least shows suggestions for available contacts?

Overall, I love ❤ MS to the bottom of my heart and even if I ever stop using a WP (God forbid), I shall love it. I respect the company for addressing most of the grievances of the people in just one year and now what they have provided us with is really really commendable. Yet there's always room for improvement and thus list is just for the betterment.

true dat!! my thoughts exactly!!

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
but think about, why should something implemented when half the users wont need it or use it ? that would seem like a total waste of time to implement it . I would have a problem if it were to implement it because then it would probably change the way I would have to use my phone. I would have to worry about files and what goes where and this and that. I don't know about you but me and I would go as far as to say people don't want to manage their phone. they just want to use it and it works. I guess its on perspective on who wrote it. I know I would put it as a limitation because to me I have no need for one but others do. what I don't like is when reviewers act like its detrimental if the OS doesn't have a file manager.

Read comment carefully.
It's most demanded feature now.
People who want it are more than people who don't want it and it will not change anything but add another way to work.
Just if you don't want then don't use it.
What will be your problem
Just like IE offer data compression feature. If you don't want then don't use why is their a problem in providing that feature.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Read comment carefully.
It's most demanded feature now.
People who want it are more than people who don't want it and it will not change anything but add another way to work.
Just if you don't want then don't use it.
What will be your problem
Just like IE offer data compression feature. If you don't want then don't use why is their a problem in providing that feature.

I don't think anyone has that type of date to say more people want it than don't want it. I can assume but assumptions don't count as evidence that its needed. the uservioce is not an indication that everyone wants it. I can say that my sisters never heard of it , does that mean that its needed and they want it? NO so again don't speak for anyone but you on that aspect. also that goes back to if I don't need it why would I want it there in the first place? the data compression on windows phone doesn't change the flow on how users will use their phone but a file manager will.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone has that type of date to say more people want it than don't want it. I can assume but assumptions don't count as evidence that its needed. the uservioce is not an indication that everyone wants it. I can say that my sisters never heard of it , does that mean that its needed and they want it? NO so again don't speak for anyone but you on that aspect. also that goes back to if I don't need it why would I want it there in the first place? the data compression on windows phone doesn't change the flow on how users will use their phone but a file manager will.

No it will not change anything. Just makes thing more convenient.
Why you are afraid of file manager?

I told that more user want it because I know lots of user who want, rest doesn't care and very few who don't want this feature.

Anyway can you tell me why user voice exist in a first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254