Hack or app to activate backlit keyboard with touchpad?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

So I have a Huawei Matebook X running Windows 10 & LOVE this thing! One minor annoyance:

when the backlit keys turn off, the only way to turn them back on is to touch any key on the keyboard. Not ideal as if it's dark, I can't really see what I'm hitting.

I came from a Macbook where all you had to do was put your finger on the touchpad and the backlit keys come on. I believe most computers work the same.

Not a deal breaker as I can aim for the shift keys on either side but does anyone know of a registry hack or app to:

1) extend the TIME the backlit keyboard stay on
2) activate the backlit keyboard by touching touchpad?

Thanks!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So as far as I know the X has an ambient light sensor, which detects when it's dark and enables the keyboard lights. There should be a way to override it. Did you check under windows mobility settings? (just search for it)

My acer has this feature and apparently there is no way to manually navigate to a physical location and override it. There might be an option in the BIOS but I doubt I have time to snoop lol

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

treoneo

Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
Yes is ambient sensor. I didn't find anything to override it in setting and nothing obvious in bios. I have joined the site now but see now way to subscribe to notifications of this thread.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You can subscribe to the thread by clicking 'tools' above the first post, but you can also just log in and check under 'participated'. If there's nothing in the BIOS related to the lights, you might have to mail with Huawei to get this sorted.

I did download the manual for a Huawei device, but didn't see anything related to settings regarding the keyboard lights

treoneo

Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
Hah I didn't. The most frustrating thing about this issue. Is googling my issue - "touchpad activate back-lit keys" turns up stuff nothing to do with my issue. I could not come up with search terms that addressed my issue!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hah I didn't. The most frustrating thing about this issue. Is googling my issue - "touchpad activate back-lit keys" turns up stuff nothing to do with my issue. I could not come up with search terms that addressed my issue!

Yea I tried too, but the results weren't encouraging. After that I settled for manuals lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett