Hard drive destroyed after Windows 10, anyone else?

yessum0

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
@180pilot a little late, but have you tryed "testDisk". I see your data is in RAW format. It is possible to convert this back to NTFS and preserve the data that is actually there. I have to say, after a certain KB update, my machines with SSD drives have displayed this same symptom. RAW !!

Dr_Bob007

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
Yes. I, too, encountered this unrecognizable primary hard drive situation. I reinstalled Windows 10 more than once. Complete, royal pain in the butt! Again & again. Frustating; disappointing.

Where the hard drive finally became no longer recognized. It is configured with Windows 10 It was upgraded OS from Windows 8.1 It is installed in an ASUS P1801. It was approximately 1 year old... otherwise 'new-ish'.

I dismantled the P1801 removing it's Seagate Barracuda 1TB hard drive. Part# ST100DM003.

I remotely access the drive via an 'nGear' FIDECO Model# CHD-GJ1210
USB3.0 to SATA/IDE Drive Adapter 2.5/3.5/5.25IN Drives w/ Power Adapter

Upon attaching the drive, I can then see all my files, directories, etc.

This suggests to me it's MBR (Master Boot Record) has likely been corrupted/obliterated.

FYI - I use MalwareBytes Pro in conjunction with Windows Defender. Both are consistently updated and scanned daily. As is Microsoft/Windows Update.

I see the latter (Windows Update) as the primary potential suspect for my hard drive becoming unrecognizable while installed. I suspect a Windows 10 update somehow screwed the MBR.

FYI both my Windows 7 and 8.1 computers/cell phones are also configured with these protection utilities. They function fine and are also fully updated daily. Spotlighting the suspicion there is something remiss with Windows 10 and/or it's update(s).

It is less likely there are so many "failed hard drives". The remote adapter proves this untrue.

After I upgraded Windows Technical Preview, which is running in dual-boot alongside Windows 8.1, my computer turned off. When I turn it back on, the BIOS asks which hard drive to use but there aren't any listed apart from the CD-Drive...

What can I do? Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

miplace2000

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
ok so it is 4/29/2017 i just updated my windows yesterday morning and ever since then i can no longer use my 5 TB external HD it no longer registers it, it shows the icon but does not show the bar thats normally under it showing how much space is in it. when i try to open it,it does not respond at all. so basically the new update fried my HD as far as i know. and if this is the case then i am extremely pissed. i had about 3000 pictures of my son and family including my brother that past away a few years ago, pictures i can not take again and now can not get back. i am really freaking out here and trying no to fly off the handle right now, im mad not only because the HD was almost $200 when i got it as a gift 6 months ago but also losing all my picture and everything else that was on it

Param007

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
Mine too.. after having some battery issue with technical preview. I decided to rollback to my previous version.. On the time of rolling back to previous version it restarted, from that time it's showing internal hard drive not found.. Windows company have any responsibility or they are careless about their customers? Who are willing to make Windows better..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria