Has anyone bought the media remote yet

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Probably going to buy the Xbox One Media Remote this weekend, anyone else got on yet.

Yes I know I can talk to it, and the wife is getting the hang of it, but there are times using a remote are better, and having to wait for the main controller to spark back into life is a pain.

What can you control with it ? Can it turn the Xbox on ?

Bob

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought it and instantly returned it. It's IR and not very powerful. I had to keep the cabinet door open (even though it's mesh and other IR remotes work fine) and still be very close and point the remote directly at the Xbox.

I ended up getting the Logitech Harmony Smart Control with simple remote. I don't even use the app because they don't support WP. I just use the simple remote and it's amazing because it's RF.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My Xbox is about 8 foot away and in plain view (No mesh or other obstruction), it's prime use will be to go from TV to Music, navigate albums and occasionally skip tracks.

I will have a look at the Harmony but it looks far to complicated for what I want, as mentioned I can already do most things with voice or smartglass but it's just the simple things when you are talking or on the phone that would be useful.

Bob

j-bone6_7

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought it when I got my xbone, as I knew my wife would prefer it over the controller/voice.

Its compact, and works good enough for me. Yea if its not pointed directly at it, sometimes it fails to work, but the fact that it conrtols my Sony A/V system and my Panasonic TV, that made it pretty much a seller for me.

Small annoyances? No xbox buttons (ABXY) to easily navigate to search in either xBox Video/Netflix/etc. (Unless I missed some shortcut) Short of that... very capable and has gotten rid of all my remotes. That to me is enough of a sell to buy it.

My two cents. =)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Seems like we thought the same, I am sure the wife will get on with it as it looks simple.

Will see if I can get one today.

Bob

Swiped from my 1520

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Small annoyances? No xbox buttons (ABXY) to easily navigate to search in either xBox Video/Netflix/etc. (Unless I missed some shortcut) Short of that... very capable and has gotten rid of all my remotes. That to me is enough of a sell to buy it.

That annoyed me too. Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime, all video apps that this remote should have been designed for, use the Y button to search. Well, the Xbox One Media Remote does not have a Y button. I believe all Logitech Harmony remotes have ABXY buttons.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Although we do use Netflix, I tend to have a look through what's available on the laptop and then use the Virgin Tivo box to watch as it doesn't use any bandwidth as Virgin use the part of the system that streams TV.

Don't use the others, I really want this as a simple, on, off, volume up or down, and the ability to choose TV or music, it has to be simple for the wife to use, too many buttons and she wont touch it.

I currently have three remotes if you don't count the Xbox One controller, I would love to retire them completely but for the following reasons I cant:

1 TV, unfortunately I can't get rid of this because although I have the aspect set to Auto, so many older programs show up as stretched so I need to keep this control for one reason, aspect. But for most of the time it can be hidden down the side of the settee.

2 Receiver, I can hid this for most of the time, the Xbox can control all the basic functions, but until I retire the desktop also plugged in, I need to keep it to hand to change to that from the Xbox. Also can be hidden down the side of the settee for when needed.

3 Virgin Tivo, we use this to change channels and watch recorded programs/record programs, I could do some more of this by setting up more in the favourites, but this isn't an issue for me. This will still be used.

So we will end up with two remotes in daily use with the Xbox media one doing the bulk of the work and almost 99% of it if I get the favourites set up properly.

I do at times use SmartGlass, but if you haven't got it already on, you need to pick up the Surface, turn it on, start SmartGlass....

By this time the wife would have given up, so for ?18 I think the media one will be a useful tool, whereas the Harmony ones would be a waste of money for me as they are far too complicated for the wife to use.

Bob

PS I tried two PC Worlds and a Curry's today, none of them had stock, one said try Argos (?2 dearer) and the other two said buy it online, I will try a Tesco tomorrow and if I can't find one I will take their advice and use Amazon.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the Xbox One media controller for a few months now. I've not had any reception issues with it at all and it's been working great for me. It's been perfect for those times when I want to rent and watch a movie or play a bluray disc.

I'd certainly recommend one for use with the Xbox One where you don't need the gamepad (certain makes me feel a lot more "adult").

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I set up my favourites last night and hid the other remotes and just controlled everything with the normal controller �� and had no real issues apart from having to wait for it to wake up.

Found a shop with the remote in stock so will get it in a few hours on the way home ��

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Been in a few minutes and it's perfect for what I wanted, turned it on, went to TV and Guide and navigated and changed channels, went to music and changed albums, skipped tracks, managed the volume, very simple device that my wife will get the hang of in no time.

The only issue I can see using the OneGuide compared to using the Virgin Tivo remote is down to pages, on the Tivo you can go down the guide a page at a time, whereas the OneGuide using either the media remote or the Xbox controller is scroll down, although it's reasonably quick so not too bad.

So we are down to one day to day remote :wink:

And low and behold it works with Netflix, OK you can't search but you can use the onscreen sections, navigate and put on a program.

Also works with Skype and OneDrive, haven't tested anything else yet, more than happy.

Wife now in and working with the Xbox :excited:

Bob

Last edited:

PanWorks

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
The only issue I can see using the OneGuide compared to using the Virgin Tivo remote is down to pages, on the Tivo you can go down the guide a page at a time, whereas the OneGuide using either the media remote or the Xbox controller is scroll down, although it's reasonably quick so not too bad.
Bob

FYI - The channel change button will page up/page down in OneGuide.

Victor Okigbo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Got it. Mainly for the spouse and sprog.
The good: It controls, Xbox, set top decoder and Yamaha sound-bar from 8 feet away. It works - as they expect a remote to (ie you point is and press the buttons).
The bad: It's not particularly accurate - sometimes you'll need to press a button more than once for it to register.
The ugly: xbox/colour buttons, no number buttons, no "info" button for the cable/satellite box so you have to walk through the channels one by one.
Summary: it's a good addition. Remember that you still have controllers, voice, gestures AND your original device remotes.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
This is what I said to the wife, you can still voice, if you know you are heading for Netflix or any other searchable app, there is no law to stop you picking up the Xbox controller, or using SmartGlass to peruse what's on, but as a simple day to day remote for 99% of what we use it for, that the wife picked within a couple of minutes, I am more than happy.

When the media app, BBC and ITV iPlayer (The UK's other main channels are already available) services becomes available I will be very very happy indeed as this is fast becoming a fantastic set up.

Bob

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much what's already been said. It's good for quick things if you'd prefer a remote to voice commands. Oh, and it allows you to control blu-ray menus without getting out your controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)