Heading back to Windows RT 8.1...

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a brand new Nokia Lumia 2520 from Ebay direct from the Microsoft Store for $199.00.

I currently have an Asus B121 I5 tablet that is going on 5 years old (I've had it for about a year) running Windows 8.1.

The battery only last 2.5-3.0 hours on a full charge, and I have to deal with anti-spyware and stuff even though I am very careful where I go on the internet.

I had an Asus Vivo-Tab RT and I had some issues with it. First, it was p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y slow. Also, it had no good codecs for playing MP4 or MPG or other video files (some would play, some would not).

So, it's been a year now since I left RT. The 2520 is supposed to be a lot faster and a much longer battery life so I am looking forward to that. Has there been any headway on Metro apps for Metro media players? Or codec packs for RT???

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
NFC on the 2520 is worth the price of admission. I bought a refurb and then bought the keyboard, very disappointed. The viewing angle is too steep to enjoy laying in bed and the entire combo is quite heavy. The Surface 2 was more comfortable to work with when using the Type Cover. Just my observations, your mileage may vary.

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
No gaurantee K-lite or iVCL will work on Windows RT.

(sigh)

On my last RT device..i tried about a dozen players and most performed very poorly. Like they weren't even tested. I was hoping maybe over the last year someone would have came out with something better.

I will look for those two players when I get my 2520. Thanx!

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If you're torrenting via Torrex, it has the ability to play .mkv files and a few other formats not originally included for RT.

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Update -

Yeah, I know everyone was waiting on edge for my update. Wait no longer. :)

I am very very impressed with my new little tablet. Not quite as quick as the i5 tablet it replaced but still very quick
in it's own right. Stuff that made me cry on my Asus Vivotab performs much, much better on the 2520.

For videos, I did install VLC player but it still would not play one MKV movie I had downloaded. BUT, I did install
K-Lite and that played the movie spot on. 720p video played without hesitation.

Battery life is amazing. I used my 2520 at work last night for several hours, I did not charge it when I came home. Back to
work today and still humming along strong.

I very much like how we have very little worry for a virus or spyware on our Windows RT devices. I am an IT professional but I am not
immune to still getting a virus or what have you on my laptop or other x86 device no matter how careful I am.

I really enjoy using the 2520! Very happy I picked it up. I am thinking of getting one for my wife to replace her 1st gen Surface.

RicaChero

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Sir, thank you for your comment. I too am happywith my multiple RT device, which are our default go-to devices thanks to their bulletproof OS. No spyware and/or malware. And I have tried getting infected, just to push their limits!

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
As far as I have heard, Windows RT devices will not be getting Windows 10 Mobile in any form.

I have read back and forth stuff but the latest I have heard is we will not get Windows 10.

But, I am fine with that. RT works for what I need it to.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as I have heard, Windows RT devices will not be getting Windows 10 Mobile in any form.

I have read back and forth stuff but the latest I have heard is we will not get Windows 10.

But, I am fine with that. RT works for what I need it to.
Don't count on anything with regard to Windows 10 just yet. We might get nothing, we might get some parts, we might get the "Internet of Things" edition of Windows 10. It's totally up in the air right now since there has been no official word from Microsoft on the subject. At least Windows RT 8.1 is a usable/functional/satisfactory tablet OS. :)

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
.....At least Windows RT 8.1 is a usable/functional/satisfactory tablet OS. :)

I totally agree. The Windows RT tablet is USABLE for doing a lot of things. I find it more usable than any Android tablet I have owned.

If you are ONLY interested in content consumption you may be fine with an Android tablet and might not find
much to gain in getting a Windows RT tablet.

BUT, if you want to simply add a mouse and a stand to a Windows RT tablet, it can turn it into nearly a full workstation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786