Help, my Surface Pro 3 just died on me! How can I fix it?

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Help, my Surface Pro 3 just died on me!

I have been using my SP3 as usual today, but it suddenly refused to boot up. It was working perfectly fine about an hour before that, and it went to sleep after I have closed the cover. I have tried pressing the power button - quick press, as well as press and hold. But nothing worked so far. I have put it back on the charger in case it ran out of power, again it couldn't reboot. Is there anything else that I can do? I have called the helpline as I got onsite warranty for this, but they are now closed for the weekend. This is distressing.

Cain69

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Either you are screwed or overreacting. If you are screwed - there is not much you will be able to do to help; you will definitely need professional help.
I would keep on trying to turn it on over a period and wait until I can get hold of someone. The tech support is available everyday - so, you agony will not last too long.

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Help, my Surface Pro 3 just died on me!

I have been using my SP3 as usual today, but it suddenly refused to boot up. It was working perfectly fine about an hour before that, and it went to sleep after I have closed the cover. I have tried pressing the power button - quick press, as well as press and hold. But nothing worked so far. I have put it back on the charger in case it ran out of power, again it couldn't reboot. Is there anything else that I can do? I have called the helpline as I got onsite warranty for this, but they are now closed for the weekend. This is distressing.

had the same problem as you about the same time - maybe that day's updates?
anyhow, do as illegaloperation says. should be all good then.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I have tried doing all this. Anyway, I called the support number this morning, and we went through some trouble shooting steps. The SP3 did not wake up. The support guy concluded that it was probably battery failure and arranged for a replacement unit for me. Said the whole thing should take 3-6 days which isn't too bad.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Anyway, just an update on this matter, I have received my replacement Surface. The entire process was quick and professionally done. The only minor gripe that I have is that, getting it after July 29 it was still with Windows 8 and I even had to do a bunch of updates after that. Was hoping it came with Windows 10 :)

I tried to force the update to W10 using that wuauclt.exe method, it failed on me a couple of times. First time the download was around 3Gb, then my next attempt was 5Gb and the last one was 10Gb. Can anyone tell what the right download size should be to update the SP3 to Windows 10?

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Surface owners, laptop owners and cell phone owners regardless of manufacturer can discharge their devices battery to the point that the battery protection circuit prevents charging. There is nothing wrong with your device. You need to pre-charge the battery to greater than 2.5 volts and then it will charge normally.
Surface owners also need to know that just because the LED is not lit doesn't mean your charger isn't charging your surface. If the LED is not lit and the charger is cold to the touch you may have a charging problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)