Here's a strange thing I found when comparing 3 Windows 10 Mobile Lumia phones

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
It's only ridiculous to someone who irrationally hates Google.

Android OEM's are allowed to make their products unique, and they take advantage of that. It's all part of why Android has been so successful(and windows phone has not)

Be different, not the same.

You don't have to irrationally hate Google to think that the amount of customization allowed in Android is a bad idea. I should be able to pick up any Android find and find what I want in settings, but I can't. That, IMHO, should be standard. If you want to provide a top-level settings option for a manufacturer to dump all their stuff in (with subcategories), great, but that's not what happens. Drives me nuts when I'm trying to help my step-mom (via phone) change a setting on her Android and the menus aren't the same as on mine. As far as skins/launchers, that customization isn't as bad, but it still creates this weird ecosystem that has to introduce a ton of issues for support and development.

And the customization isn't why Windows phone failed. It's because Microsoft got to market way too late, well after the iPhone and Android had taken a hold of the market and they just couldn't get momentum because the market had spoken. Without that momentum, no one wanted to build apps for a stagnant platform. It didn't help they ended up rewriting (not enhancing) the OS three times: 7, 8 and 10, and that resulted in issues with the OS, which probably killed some of that momentum.

I always thought that Windows phone struck a nice balance between customization and standards, at least from the user's perspective, with the live tiles being a huge part of that.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I always thought it was neat that carriers, phone colours could dictate special colours you could have

I actually would like the desktop option where it picks the colour for you based on your background.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Who said that?

Sent from mTalk

Actually: no one. On the other hand MS did not state that W10M will get it. The latest insider builds on the PC have the custom color picker (e.g. and blue light reduction) but on the phone it's missing (as well as blue light reduction. One could conclude that they are decided that W10M won't get any new features anymore (because they will bring the full W10 to ARM)

Wurstsalat

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get this extra colors on a phone? my dad owns a Lumia 640 and there is a bright yellow option on it...replaced it with the 650, design sync is active but the color doesnt appear and the yellow color on the 640 is none provider specific one or anything like this.

Someone has an idea?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf