Hi, my name is...and I'm a Windows 10 mobile addict

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This is Nate W here. I have been around the forums on Windows Central since early 2015, but I have been using the Windows platform since the 90's. Been using Windows Mobile type devices since about 2005/2006 to current. I skipped over Windows CE, Windows Mobile 6 and Windows Phone 7. Later came in on VZ using the Ativ SE/ICON and was hooked ever since.

I wanted to open a thread up to share from my self what I feel is a realization of sorts about the world I live in and you as well maybe. I also am starting this thread to share about my experience in dealing with my obsession (OCD tendencies if you will) with Windows 10 mobile and mobile devices in general. I started off here in the forums pretty much so I felt it right to share some of this from me personally.

To me what is mainly a tool/responsibility/privelage has easily become a something that consumes me for about 75% of my day. My Elite X3 (Current active device) to me is not spectacular, it is not some diamond coated odyssey that I need to cherish...it in itself is just another device running W10M that I found myself having to get and own. This among many other devices that I have easily acquired all in
all while spending lots of money over time to do so.

So, it is easy for me to say my name is Nate W and I am a Windows 10 Mobile addict. Even though this is true, I am realizing that I am not proud of it...anymore. I started off wanting to develop a couple of apps. I have coding experience using VB scripts and Sharepoint services, and I do scripting all the time (Linuix/UNIX based) for work, so I figured I would get to know the platform of Windows Phone/W10M, and do myself and others a favor by trying to add back to the platform by developing. Later I found that I had more of a nack for unlocking the device and enabling features or tweaks on the devices then actually building from scratch an app. This later turned into hours and hours of digging through directory trees and registry settings of different phones, also reading Microsoft hardware dev site content all trying to figure out how all the pieces of the hw and sw work together. To me all this was harmless. Until I realized how much time was being passed by sitting in front of my phone or PC. I had to experience so many different devices and OS configurations over an over again. Lately it was getting crazy and one too many days have gone by "bangin my head against the keyboard" and I am one who should know better by now.

So, now that the "OCD" insights are out of the way, I want to share this last bit. I have learned that I am easily attracted to hardware. Maybe you are too?! The most important thing I have learned is that I am easily sucked into the unknowns of my own questions, interests, and curiosities, after I have that piece of HW/Tech in my possesion. Sounds stupid doesn't it, but I now know that I need to opress myself from certain things. I have chose to let go of owning all these handsets. This is going to be hard for me to do, and that too sounds dumb, I know. But those of you who have been there, or are in it with me, you know what this means...

I was at a Target store last night as I was passing across town back home, and decided to go in, looking for sim starter kit for VZW...while inside I needed to buy milk. I found my way to the grocery section, but was confused at all the Boxes of large screen TVs every where in the isles...it then hit me. Is this what we/the public are resorting to nowadays. In the US, Thanksgiving the holidays, they are not what they should be, especially if you have hoards of boxes in the food isles at a Tartget. It is reality though, but I myself need to start sailing the other direction. Thanks for reading this with me folks and I hope you can see the same. Technology today is a privelage and a tool. But it is our responsiblity to use it wisely.

This is going to be a New Year resolution. I am going to sell my remaining GSM devices, I chose to keep active on VZ which in itself limits my me on W10M devices that I can use, and I am going to support the W10M platform by using my Elite X3.
Will then let go of the remaining Windows phones I have. I tried this once already and failed at it. So, what better way to hold myself double accountable than to post it here on the forums. I will share in a thread edit the Windows 10 mobile devices I have/own and update this post as they leave my possesion. I might even try to get rid of some of them on this site on the market place...

EDIT: Circling back here.
So not everything in life goes as planned... Plus when you're hooked you're hooked. I won't count this as a failure, but a lesson learned. Fortunately in my case a hobby (addiction) of this type is not a damaging one...
We actually decided to switch off VZ to save money going into next year. I was not able to get rid of these phones as quickly as I thought too. Go figure right. So, the good thing was that I had a phone to use when we moved back to GSM off Verizon. Then recently a developer announced a tool he is calling Windows Phone Internals 2.2, you can google that and learn more if you need...now I do not think I hold out going into next year anyway especially with that tool coming. Anyway, I am going to try to return my VZW Elite X3 back to Microsoft. After reading all the comments I also concluded that I will always have this type of hobby/interest in Microsoft type products and services no matter how I look at it. I am still trying though to sell some of my remaining devices, but I have a feeling I will be keeping some of them around for a bit longer. :)

Currently in my possession:
--950 XL Dual Sim - will probably keep around
--Lumia 650 (Cricket) - sim unlocked
--1520 32GB (RM-937 converted to an AT&T RM-940) - will probably keep around
--Lumia 640 XL LTE AT&T parts - logic board, camera, mid frame/chassis etc
--IDOL 4s T-Mobile - sim unlocked/posted ad locally
--Madosma Q601 - bad LCD/posted on Ebay for parts
--Parts - A bunch of 1520/1320/? parts (logic boards, camera modules, back covers, etc)

No longer in my possession:
--HP Elite X3 GSM Dual SIM - gone

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Took a lot for you to come to this decision. I'm sure I and others on this site will be happy to help in anyway we can. Thank God I'm a user and not a technical changer or programmer.

Drew Neilson

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Similarly to you, I've been using Windows since 1999, when I switched from Mac to Windows 98, and I got my first mobile Windows device in about 2003: a Toshiba Pocket PC whose OS was Pocket PC 2002. My first cell phone was a dumb phone, but my first smartphone was a BLU WIN HD LTE, purchased in 2015. A few months ago I bought an iPhone and no longer use my Windows phone, because I can no longer tolerate the app gap. On my PC, however, I am running Windows 10, and have no plans to change that.
My first thought when reading your post, was that maybe you should consider working for Microsoft, and use your interest in and experience with Windows there. Turn your interests and passion into gainful employment.
However, if you have an obsession with buying the latest hardware, you'd have to be careful, no matter where you work, and no matter what you do. If you can't control your obsession with buying new tech, and if working for Microsoft or another tech company would trigger your obsession, then you'd have to think carefully about whether such a job is a good idea.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow @Nate W . I read the title and thought of making a joke about the first step to admitting an addiction is ___ but that would be out of place with what you wrote here. I just know that this had to be hard for you, considering that you're the same person who would get a flagship Android, use it for some hours or a day at most and then turn around and sell it. You'll sell it to turn around to get another Windows phone that you have had before. Trust that when I say this, I am not making fun or anything like that, because you know my habits...

I understand, and hope for the best possible outcome. You still have a hand (or a foot?) in the W10M game. It feels like I'm rambling, but you had a lot of courage to admit it, and aside from support, I applaud you. Anyway, since you are an inquisitive type (clearly since you have admitted the hardware interest), I wish you the best with this.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hence why there are the following trends:

Going netfree
Cellphone free zones
Minimalist living
Tiny homes
Downsizing

Consumerism is largely pretty pointless. You spend hundreds of hours of your life earning money so you can buy a trinket that science has shown only amuses you for about two weeks on average. They are all just tools, to me.

Sometimes I might drool over something cool. But what I do lol, is I put loads of stuff into my wishlists/checkout baskets, have fun doing shopping online, fantasize about gear. Then I think - is this really worth it? Do I need it? Is it going to add something to my life? Can i get it cheaper?

And I usually end up chopping 90 percent of stuff out, and buying, like I did, a refurbished phone, and occasionally a few clothes, or something cheap but fun. It's weird, but its genuinely a pretty comparable experience to actually buying all that pointless crap. But instead of getting it, I give it some time and think - no that's stupid.

My TV is from a pawn shop. My computer is second hand parts and some new. But built cheap (can game with it). I brought some high end PC speakers when my stereo died - just as good really.
Got a cheap as 24bit DAC that's the business on amazon.

I'm about to have a garage sale and get rid of some more stuff. Every few years I go through and throw out, or give away, or sell stuff I don't need.
And I don't have that much stuff, but I am still eager to get rid of the excess.
It feels good. I remember when I started on doing the whole cutting down thing a few years ago - it was hard. But then I was like - wow this is so easy to get at the stuff I actually need. And all this lack of clutter is so easing to the mind.

As for technical obsessions - yeah, I think a lot of people have been there. At one stage I was obsessed with big brother. People watch reality TV, play games obsessively, do drugs, drink, buy stuff, buy stuff to impress other imaginary people because no one actually cares whether you have a big TV, or nice car, or fancy house, lol.

People as a whole are pretty stupid, and we all fall into those traps of ego, escapism, dreams we imagine rather than pursuit - or just as commonly dreams people pursuit, sacrifice their lives on the altar of, and never get to enjoy (like working 60 hours per week, for a retirement that your too sick/old to enjoy). We all make those mistakes. Often again and again. Anything but live in the moment, or try to make that moment better. Either over the rainbow in never never land, or up our own arseholes.

I mean, that said, a hobby can be real fun. I enjoy the heck out of writing music when I get around to it. If it brings you joy, then do it. If not, leave it be.

But its moments like that, we it hits us, we can do a little tweak and improve. Make our lives better. Streamlined. Happier.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Going netfree
Cellphone free zones
Minimalist living
Tiny homes
Downsizing

Consumerism is largely pretty pointless. You spend hundreds of hours of your life earning money so you can buy a trinket that science has shown only amuses you for about two weeks on average. They are all just tools, to me.

Sometimes I might drool over something cool. But what I do lol, is I put loads of stuff into my wishlists/checkout baskets, have fun doing shopping online, fantasize about gear. Then I think - is this really worth it? Do I need it? Is it going to add something to my life? Can i get it cheaper?

And I usually end up chopping 90 percent of stuff out, and buying, like I did, a refurbished phone, and occasionally a few clothes, or something cheap but fun. It's weird, but its genuinely a pretty comparable experience to actually buying all that pointless crap. But instead of getting it, I give it some time and think - no that's stupid.

My TV is from a pawn shop. My computer is second hand parts and some new. But built cheap (can game with it). I brought some high end PC speakers when my stereo died - just as good really.

I'm about to have a garage sale and get rid of some more stuff. Every few years I go through and throw out, or give away, or sell stuff I don't need.
And I don't have that much stuff, but I am still eager to get rid of the excess.
It feels good. I remember when I started on doing the whole cutting down thing a few years ago - it was hard. But then I was like - wow this is so easy to get at the stuff I actually need. And all this lack of clutter is so easing to the mind.

As for technical obsessions - yeah, I think a lot of people have been there. At one stage I was obsessed with big brother. People watch reality TV, play games obsessively, do drugs, drink, buy stuff, buy stuff to impress other imaginary people because no one actually cares whether you have a big TV, or nice car, or fancy house, lol.

People as a whole are pretty stupid, and we all fall into those traps of ego, escapism, dreams we imagine rather than pursuit - or just as commonly dreams people pursuit, sacrifice their lives on the altar of, and never get to enjoy (like working 60 hours per week, for a retirement that your too sick/old to enjoy). We all make those mistakes. Often again and again. Anything but live in the moment, or try to make that moment better. Either over the rainbow in never never land, or up our own arseholes.

I mean, that said, a hobby can be real fun. I enjoy the heck out of writing music when I get around to it. If it brings you joy, then do it. If not, leave it be.

But its moments like that, we it hits us, we can do a little tweak and improve. Make our lives better. Streamlined. Happier.

This was a good read. Thanks for sharing and I agree with your viewpoint in many ways. Unfortunately consumerism, especially technology and having to have the latest apps and gadgets, is used as a plaster (or Band-Aid if not from the UK) over the more pressing issues. Like first-world poverty and corruption.

I use my phone as a productivity tool to do my job. For this, it's fine. I don't need tons of apps or the latest hardware. I am happy with what I am given (which these days people never are and always want more). That's why W10M suits my needs, I have been with WM since the (very early) iPAQ days and I have no reason to switch to iOS or Android.

Nowadays people prefer to look at their devices and talk to strangers than to talk to real people and communicate face to face. It's sad really. We have all become voluntarily slaves and even though many cry foul of being spied on by Google or NSA, CIA, GCHQ whoever these same people willingly give up personal or private information or pictures through social media everyday without batting an eyelid.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Going netfree
Cellphone free zones
Minimalist living
Tiny homes
Downsizing

Agreed. Thus the need for marketing departments to convince us we “need” the next gadget that will make a company millions but not do much for us. But it works, so the cycle continues.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This was a good read. Thanks for sharing and I agree with your viewpoint in many ways. Unfortunately consumerism, especially technology and having to have the latest apps and gadgets, is used as a plaster (or Band-Aid if not from the UK) over the more pressing issues. Like first-world poverty and corruption.

I use my phone as a productivity tool to do my job. For this, it's fine. I don't need tons of apps or the latest hardware. I am happy with what I am given (which these days people never are and always want more). That's why W10M suits my needs, I have been with WM since the (very early) iPAQ days and I have no reason to switch to iOS or Android.

Nowadays people prefer to look at their devices and talk to strangers than to talk to real people and communicate face to face. It's sad really. We have all become voluntarily slaves and even though many cry foul of being spied on by Google or NSA, CIA, GCHQ whoever these same people willingly give up personal or private information or pictures through social media everyday without batting an eyelid.

Speaking of which...look what I found in a drawer.
WP_20171126_07_13_21_Pro_LI.jpg

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Wow @Nate W . I read the title and thought of making a joke about the first step to admitting an addiction is ___ but that would be out of place with what you wrote here. I just know that this had to be hard for you, considering that you're the same person who would get a flagship Android, use it for some hours or a day at most and then turn around and sell it. You'll sell it to turn around to get another Windows phone that you have had before. Trust that when I say this, I am not making fun or anything like that, because you know my habits...

I understand, and hope for the best possible outcome. You still have a hand (or a foot?) in the W10M game. It feels like I'm rambling, but you had a lot of courage to admit it, and aside from support, I applaud you. Anyway, since you are an inquisitive type (clearly since you have admitted the hardware interest), I wish you the best with this.

All good. It really is funny when I think of it. I would not have been offended by joke, so no worries. I prepared myself for it prior to writing it up.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of which...look what I found in a drawer.
View attachment 138167

That brings back memories, one of my old work places had a IPAQ Windows Mobile 6.5 PDA to allow us to draw floorplans at the property.

I used to get by using my Touch Pro 2 and a stylus to draw floorplans using a software called "the mobile agent" (TMA) as the installer was a cab file.

Those were good days, good days.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Kids found my old Nino...what an awesome device. I had pcAnywhere on it and managed to do remote access for work. Been a loyal Windows Mobile follower since forever.

But alas, my family with seven Windows Phones has finally thrown in the towel. Bought two Galaxy S8s on Black Friday. When the wife and I wean ourselves off W10M, we'll probably get OnePlus 5Ts for the kids. As great as W10M was, we've had enough of this disaster of a platform, support-wise.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sticking with WM until i see what Andromeda is like. My Elite x3 battery is poor after one yr of use, i missed the warranty period by one day to get it replaced or fixed. Rather than getting a S8, i decided to buy another x3, this time less than $400. That should hold me for another yr. Hopefully Panos will have something for us by then.

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been using mobile Windows since the Pocket PC days. I always bought devices in quantities of 2, one for me and one for my wife. We started out with some random Asus Pocket PCs with Windows Mobile 5.0 and throughout the years, barring our glorious days on Symbian and Maemo 5, we've stuck with Windows (Android got us with the HTC G2, One S, Galaxy S2, GS7) (iOS with the iPhone 4, 4S, 5S, 7) every misstep of the way and have been extremely happy and proud to use our Windows devices, at the height of Windows Phone 8.1, having moved family and friends over to Windows phones, totaling nearly 20 people.

Well, Microsoft retrenched us and our family out of the Windows phone vision.

I still have my Lumia 830, 1020, 1520, 950, 950XL, HTC One M8 for Windows and Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows 10 but all other Windows phones have since been sold off or given away as gifts to replace older Windows phones.

As before, I mentioned how my wife and I bought phones in sets of 2...well, we wanted 2 Elite X3s but the ridiculousness of getting one easily made our choice simple. I bought 2 Note 8s and called it a day. Over and out.

I still cannot stand Android and I only play one game on my Note 8, the same game I play on Windows, Iron Blade. The hardware is great but the software is a mess and just a crash or malware away from a total disaster that makes me hate that Microsoft gave up on phones.

My wife and I still prefer Windows as our OS of choice on all devices and the UWP apps, we love them far more than the "phone" apps that Microsoft makes for Android.

Dex, while neat, and has windowed apps when supported, feels like a cheap, fake desktop OS because no matter how it looks like Windows, those are not Windows programs. The apps are a joke compared to UWP apps in Continuum. I would give anything to have the UWP Outlook app via Dex.

Continuum is amazing because it is Windows 10 and UWP apps DO make a huge difference if you are a Windows user. I hate I can't use my Windows apps on Android. It is simple as that. Android isn't a substitute for Windows for us.

Well...enough ranting. Our next phone in sets of 2 will probably be Note 10s. We don't buy a new phone every year and it will be a while before my wife trusts Microsoft with her half of the phone duo. I may have to go solo with whatever Microsoft cooks up next, the same way it took a while for her to let go of Symbian after it was Eloped.

Thanks for this thread, a place to reflect, vent and put things into perspective.

I hope you all enjoy whatever devices you have, stay safe and I hope that we all are still here in a few years to drop in and say hello.

Take care everybody,

Daniel Rubi....er...Deaconclgi

GaryEBarnes

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
Re: Hi, my name is Gary and I'm a Windows 10 mobile addict

Short & Sweet... I've used iPhones, Androids and finally Windows Mobile the last 3 years. Out of the 3 OS's, Windows is the best by far with the exception of a few missing Apps.

Gary

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been with MS since the PPC days (Jornada 525 was my first device) and currently use a 950. I've thought a few times about getting an X3 for the faster, cooler, processor and fingerprint scanner, but without glance and the camera downgrade I haven't done it.

I've looked at Android, but really what compares? I have USB-C, a great camera, a dedicated camera button (something I enjoy), qHD AMOLED screen, Continuum, etc. Only one of the flagships can meet or top the 950 now. Apps aren't a real issue for my use scenario and so I stick with my 950 until I see what MS comes up with next.

In my use scenario I use phone, MMS, camera, Office, FB, Twitter, IG, Tumblr, WC, multimedia, groove, Spotify, etc. So far I haven't been wanting for apps, and my vita or 3DS have been games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786