How can I fix a heating issue with my 930?

Usman Burki

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Heating issue

Hi,

the heating issue with 930 is so bad that within minutes of just doing anything it is very hot. No specific activity causes this. I have looked around but didn't find a definitive answer. I've played around with shutting off background apps but doesn't help. I've noticed apps are crashing all the time, when I open an app it goes into loading and then crashes. Heating & constant crashing and loading delays of apps like whatsapp, facebook, calendar, weather etc made me think there might be some rouge process running which is taking up all of system resources.

REQUEST: is there an app I can install that can give me debug level info of what is running and how much actual resources it is consuming in terms of compute and storage (ram)

Thanks!

PS: My cell too has faulty mic and proximity sensor that has been reported upon. For instance, no voice recording and screen going black during call no matter what I do with cell. Its not issue for this thread, just mentioning as acknowledgment of the issue on my cell too

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Heating issue

Warranty repair, claim microphone issues, fitting and assembly issues (which cause proximity sensor errors) and overheating.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Happens to mine also on W10M, more than on 8.1, an heating was present back then also. I think the processor is not yet optimised well, so it loads the mhz even when not needed, causing excessive heat and battery drain... My opinion tho

Usman Burki

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

The not so nice thing is I was upgrading to Lumia 950xl but reports of even heating issues are there (apart from other issues reported on forum/online by users and some of my friends using 950). As we speak im checking out iPhone 6s plus coz at the end of the day I would like a device which works. I've had Lumia 800, 920, 930 and would move to 950 but I'm 80% already onto iPhone mindset now. Most grateful for both the people who took time to share their views.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

The issues mentioned in PS are in my opinion enough to warrant a repair/replacement. Some apps, like facebook for instance, used to crash on my 930 in 8.1, but I don't think it was due to heat issues. Either way, overheating is on the list of issues that can be claimed during warranty service.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Why does everyone call it a heating problem? I get hot when I run. What to do?, Stop running
That's a symptom of what is going on. High CPU cycles is the problem. You can't feel those.
Soft reset, let the phone process the update

Usman Burki

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

I suppose the many months I've had this cell and after very 3-4 min of use it gets hot so I suppose some update is going so I really should soft reset after each 3-4 minute of use. My Lumia life has been 800, 920, 930 and soon to be perhaps 950. It ain't new experience and I don't take intelligently any solution that starts and ends with soft reset/restart. Been there, done that.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you are running Windows 10 Mobile, enable the Developer Mode web portal in the Settings/Update area. You can then connect from your PC and see the CPU usage/processes etc.

Usman Burki

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! On 930 I'm afraid least mine hasn't received the windows 10 update, still running on 8.x however your info gives me tremendous hope in terms of jumping to Lumia 950 knowing full well I can get detail process level info in case similar issue occur there.
Much appreciated! Thanks!

DoriKinStarr

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Just for my opinion, just stay on Windows 8.1 Mobile with Lumia Denim. Nothing much to excite about till all issues are settled for Lumia 930 using Windows 10 Mobile.

Usman Burki

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
i fully agree with you on that one. Unless a stable release is formally sent my way i'd stick to what i have already. i could send my current phone in warranty as Chomiq rightfully suggested but don't have a backup device and i use heavily my cell not just for personal use but, more importantly, business use. In a month or two i'd get the Lumia 950xl. idea is to give it a month to see if my user experience is better than it was before. If not, i simply jump to iPhone 6s plus without any guilt (already checked it out). Cant really work using a phone with which i need to struggle pretty much all the time. its just not nice anymore id say. love the Lumia products but that love/loyalty comes second (after so many years) to my ability to work efficiently using my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria