How happy are you with your new HTC one M8 for Windows ?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Saw your post...was thinking of going from ICON to this but I am afraid I'll miss my ICON and the camera. The XBOX Dot Case is tempting as a ****** novelty but I'd be better off sticking with the ICON I believe, for now...I'm kind of hoping we may see a Dev. Preview of 10 during the consumer announcement in late January...
Your aware the M8 can run the dev preview also right? So anything that comes along via the DP should work on the M8 as well.

I honestly don't see the rage about dot view. As attractive as the m8 is, dotview just makes it look so...cheap and tacky. It is like a poor mans glance imo.

I don't get the dot view either. Would hate to cover an M8 in that fugly thing. With the double tap to wake feature don't see the need anyway.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Well it has been 2 months, and I can say I have never been happier with a phone then I am with the M8, I have had zero problems with it and the Battery last forever.

I have been reading the replies on this post and a lot of the other M8 forum posts, and it really seems to me like most of the negative replies could have been avoided by just researching the phone before you bought it. # 1 it is not a Lumia phone, it will not run Lumia app's , #2 it does not have a super great camera but it does have a good camera, #3 No it does not feel like a Lumia ,look like Lumia or is built like a Lumia, witch is the main reason I bought one. Yes it runs the DP and yes it does get all the new Windows updates, no it does not get the Lumia firmware updates, yes HTC does send out updates. I know it is not for everyone just as Lumia's are not for everyone, do a little research before you buy and save yourself some heart ache .

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Well it has been 2 months, and I can say I have never been happier with a phone then I am with the M8, I have had zero problems with it and the Battery last forever.

I have been reading the replies on this post and a lot of the other M8 forum posts, and it really seems to me like most of the negative replies could have been avoided by just researching the phone before you bought it. # 1 it is not a Lumia phone, it will not run Lumia app's , #2 it does not have a super great camera but it does have a good camera, #3 No it does not feel like a Lumia ,look like Lumia or is built like a Lumia, witch is the main reason I bought one. Yes it runs the DP and yes it does get all the new Windows updates, no it does not get the Lumia firmware updates, yes HTC does send out updates. I know it is not for everyone just as Lumia's are not for everyone, do a little research before you buy and save yourself some heart ache .

Well said!

This phone sure has a polarizing effect on these forums and to some degree I can understand why. Lumia phones are amazing pieces of hardware, no question about it, but there is a lot of room on the WP landscape for other OEMs to build on and make their own mark. My point is WP can do so much more than just be a support system for amazing cameras, and the more OEM's that jump in and build quality devices bringing their own unique features should be considered a good thing.

I am still waiting for mine... T-Mob and UPS had a miscommunication and instead of next day air it got shipped ground. TMO refunded my shipping costs so it's all good but I am le sad......

Last edited:

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, be swapping the 3 8Xs I have for 3 M8s on friday. Really looking forward to comparing this phone with my 1520. The line the 1520 is on will eligible for upgrade in April. By then hopefully there will be a 1530 to get. If not, perhaps the M9.

stupidsteven

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using this phone for just 24 hrs...and of course I love Windows OS, but the look and feel of this phone is just great. I recently broke my Lumia 1520, and I sure as hell miss it, but there's nothing wrong with some change. This phone is the perfect fit, the weight is just what I'm looking for, and even though I was used to having the massive 1520 in one hand, I'm even more comfortable with the M8. Really good phone, nothing will beat the battery life of the 1520 which gave me almost 2 days without a charge. The M8 is perfectly fine.

P.s.- still worried about it being an HTC but I have some faith...don't really have a choice.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Still VERY happy using the One on T-mo. I love the blazing speed and the speakers. I watch a fair amount of video on occasion and the speakers are second to none. All day+ battery life. I've never had the phone go less than 45% charge on a day of pretty heavy usage. The One and the L925 are the best windows phones I've used. The 830 is very nice (outstanding camera), but not like the One or the 925 when it comes to overall performance.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I love my new M8! I finally made the switch to WP after waiting way too long for Sprint to get the hint and start offering WP that were decent. The best they could muster was the Lumia 635, which is a nice, cheap budget phone for someone that has never has a smartphone. Seriously, it has no flash and no front facing camera. Anyway, I had the Android M7 and liked the phone very much, but wanted a WP. So, I switched to AT&T for the better coverage and WP support. I got an upgrade to my HTC One with the OS I have been wanting. Reasons:
- I have always been a fan of HTC products. I had the Evo - One M7.
- I love the front facing speakers. I got so much use out of them with my M7. I don't think I could go back to rear speakers again.
- Build quality is phenomenal
- Accessories. I can find cases for the phone in my local best buy and radio shacks. I use a case with rear kickstand and belt clip. I can find it easy.
- Battery life is the best I've in any phone so far. I am sure there is better, but this is my personal best thus far.

The one thing I would change: the camera. There is no argument the camera is weak by today's standards. That being said, I am no photographer. I don't take that many pictures. The camera on board is fine with me.

My daughter switch to AT&T with me. She got the Nokia Lumia 830. That device is also awesome. I would have been happy with that, as well. IN fact, the 830 feels better in my hand. However, I went with the M8 and am still happy. She takes a lot of pictures and cares more for the camera, which is why she wanted a Lumia. She is just as happy as I am. That is two new converts to the OS. I came from Android. She came from iOS. We are both staying for the long run. All hail W10 on the horizon!

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Got mine the day after it came out on AT&T, coming from a long line of Lumias and I gotta say, I'm still ever as happy with it as I was the day I bought it. Occasionally, I'll have some iPhone 6+ envy with all the app support and what not, but then I actually play with it and realize that it's the same when I had my iPhone 5.

Works flawlessly, backs up seamlessly, camera is great for my needs, and I rebuild it once a month to keep it in tip top shape. Bought a nice case from Hyperion and it looks sexy as hell.

SixStringMadness

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Looking to make the switch to WP, looking at the M8 at AT&T (leaving VZW).

Sounds like lots of good things said about the M8, but I'm not clear on the camera. What is the megapixel count of the rear facing camera?

jmkid

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I've had the M8 about a week now and it's a great phone. The rear camera is only 4 MP, but more pixels don't necessarily mean better photos. Although the camera is arguably the weak spot, I find it produces good results. The camera is super quick and the installed HTC camera app is also very good.

brat1475

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I've had the phone on Tmo since it came out, and overall I love it. The battery life, the speakers, the IR blaster, Sense tv. The camera is fine for my needs. Only complaint is wearable support, which is mostly relieved with the Pebble Notications app. Might get a Microsoft Band. Love this phone for the most part.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Love the phone, a very noticeable speed bump from a L920 and speakers are amazing. I really think the 5" screen size is perfect.

My only issues are actually OS related:

1) No option to change from 3 column start screen to 2 column. I don't like how small the text even with the largest tiles on the start screen. I can't believe MS didn't give us a choice!

2) Can't change default search from bing to google. I know most are google haters but I forgot on the HTC 8X I couldn't change the search engine and it seems it hasn't changed. It's strange how you can choose google on the Lumia phones. I don't like in IE how it takes longer for the bing search results to pop up vs google.

3) Doesn't work with new htc rapid charger : (

Those are my only gripes, but great phone! Now I'm just having a hard time finding a genuine htc charger, it seems most on the market are counterfeit.

AlexT09

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I feel like a red headed step child. I had no clue a lot of apps and developments wouldn't work on it. The phone is fast etc.,i feel like its a lexus with crank windows, and no radio. Its quick and smooth, but I'm still pi**** I didn't think about this until after getting it. I would much rather have a Lumia.

Larry Amato

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store to look at the phone.. they wanted to charge me for it if I would purchase it in the store. I have the upgrade plan every two years .They tried to sell me one from Google because of all the free apps..!! LOL...who needs 5 thousand flashlight apps or twenty thousand media apps.. Get the point..??..Pulled the plug on my iPhone 5 and happy I did.. :cool:

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
6 months and I am still impressed with the phone, it still has the wow factor. Before I bought the M8 I was really thinking about the L 830 and a few months back my son in law got one, I talked him into swapping phones for a few weeks so I could try the 830 and he wanted to try the M8, he had the same trouble choosing phones when he got his, between the M8 and 830,. The first thing I really noticed was battery life, as smartphones go the 830 has decent life, but it comes up way short of the M8's, I'm no gamer and he is, I'm more for the music on my phone and App's that I can use, that being said I found the phone slow and laggy with a lot of loading screens, it reminded me a lot of my 920 as it got older. The stereo front-facing speaks have really spoiled me on the M8 and I just could not get used to the sound on the 830, it sounded muffeled and tinny, and I really hated the feel of the back of the 830, it felt cheap and bendy. The 830 is a good phone and the camera is one of the best, if the M8 had not come out I would be a happy 830 owner. My son in law did not want to give me my M8 back he even offered me his phone and money to keep it, after using the M8 I would never be happy with the 830, it really felt like a step back. He is trying to sell his 830 and get an M8. If you want a phone for a camera the 830 is a good choice, but if you are looking for a device that can really do it all the M8 is the one. These are just my thought, I'm sure there are people who are one the other side of their feeling. Good luck with whatever you choose use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander