How to convince iPhone and Android users to make the switch?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never encouraged anyone to switch to another platform whether it happened to be BlackBerry, Symbian, Windows 10 Mobile, or Android (all of which I've used at some point). I never wanted to get any grief from them if they hated my recommendation.

I will point out what is or is not available.

To answer the question regarding unique features, I don't believe there are any features exclusive to Windows 10 Mobile at this time, so anything that Windows 10 Mobile has is available on other platforms.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe there are any features exclusive to Windows 10 Mobile at this time, so anything that Windows 10 Mobile has is available on other platforms.
Continuum. The closest equivalent is Andromium but that's in beta. Only a browser, file manager and music is working.....and badly. It's always running in the background and the only way to disable it is to sign out and reboot your phone.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Continuum. The closest equivalent is Andromium but that's in beta. Only a browser, file manager and music is working.....and badly. It's always running in the background and the only way to disable it is to sign out and reboot your phone.
That's an OS and the reviews look pretty good.
But it's not going on my S7e. And the only hobby device I have is dedicated to Insiders.
But still Andromium looks very intriguing.

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14977.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
You could very easily say the same about iOS or Android. Starting with iOS 7.0, every successive build has produced more bugs than the ones fixed by the previous version. Don't even get me started on Android. My G5's battery life has been cut to less than a half day due to Nougat and T-Mobile is sending alerts to G5 customers warning not to update. I got mine 2 days too late.

Windows Mobile isn't perfect, far from it. But to suggest it's the only bug-infested OS is disingenuous at best.

You are right that EVERY platform has its issues but is it to the extent seen on WM per each device? Having "A" issue on one device is far different than multiple ones, I can attest to the multiple part as I'm sure many others can as well.

Don't think anyone is suggesting WM is the "only" bug-infested OS but to the extent it is, far and above the worst, leader of the pack shall we say. If I were to jot down my experiences here using just a couple of Windows Phones it would be extensive, combine those I know using Android/iOS devices, including myself, I'd be hard pressed to type a line or two... Those facts that we all find irksome (not bugs per se) about each platform not withstanding.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's difficult, if not downright impossible, to convince someone to use another platform. We all have different needs and wants, and the different platforms all have pluses and minuses. The only thing you can do is let then see your device, how it performs, and let them make up their own minds.

Sent from mTalk

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't know but i m satisfied with plenty of issue with WP
HAH !!! THAT'S why I kept service on my mint condition Lumia ICON so I could keep playin with Insider builds. But my Daily Driver is a new S7edge - no problems.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't think there is any way that an iPhone or Android user would like to switch to Windows Phone. Currently there is not a single windows phone device that can compete with iOS and Android. On the hardware level, there is no modern flagship with great quality, that would amaze people. On the software level, there is not a single app that doesn't run on iOS or Android and runs on Windows Phone. The only reason I might think of that somebody would like to switch to Windows Phone, is if he is working for Microsoft :)

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there is any way that an iPhone or Android user would like to switch to Windows Phone. Currently there is not a single windows phone device that can compete with iOS and Android. On the hardware level, there is no modern flagship with great quality, that would amaze people. On the software level, there is not a single app that doesn't run on iOS or Android and runs on Windows Phone. The only reason I might think of that somebody would like to switch to Windows Phone, is if he is working for Microsoft :)

People who work at Microsoft use Apple and Android according to piece I read here on Windows Central.......

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
You could very easily say the same about iOS or Android. Starting with iOS 7.0, every successive build has produced more bugs than the ones fixed by the previous version. Don't even get me started on Android. My G5's battery life has been cut to less than a half day due to Nougat and T-Mobile is sending alerts to G5 customers warning not to update. I got mine 2 days too late.

Windows Mobile isn't perfect, far from it. But to suggest it's the only bug-infested OS is disingenuous at best.

But they went backward from 8.1 a very functional and smooth OS to a totally unpredictable OS. I admit I really want W10M to succeed and grow, I like W10M over IOS and Android, it is simply a total let down from what I expected from it having use 7.5 and 8.1

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You are right that EVERY platform has its issues but is it to the extent seen on WM per each device?
When discussing Apple it is referring to just one device because they only make one phone - regardless of display size. But that wasn't my point. Every OS has had global issues with each release for what seems 2-3 years now. I'm not talking about OEM-specific issues, I'm talking Android, iOS and WM platform-wide.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
When discussing Apple it is referring to just one device because they only make one phone - regardless of display size. But that wasn't my point. Every OS has had global issues with each release for what seems 2-3 years now. I'm not talking about OEM-specific issues, I'm talking Android, iOS and WM platform-wide.
Yes, but with iOS and Android they fix the issue pretty fast and it doesn't come back...seemingly...I think...:smile:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but with iOS and Android they fix the issue pretty fast and it doesn't come back...seemingly...I think...:smile:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

True that. But we're not discussing QC. Android has been known to take serious hits in the public eye for not taking care of security issues with any alacrity.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
True that. But we're not discussing QC. Android has been known to take serious hits in the public eye for not taking care of security issues with any alacrity.
Point - fatclue_98

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think you're wasting your time and theirs by trying to convince them to switch to Windows phone. While the platform isn't dead yet, Microsoft has made it clear that the platform isn't for you ("you" being the general consumer). When Microsoft says they're refocusing on enterprise, that isn't a silent wink and a nod to say, "But we're really developing this OS for you." That's Microsoft embracing their niche. If a friend merely wants to know what's happening with WP, don't give them the rising from the ashes speech. Just inform them about Microsoft's current approach, and if they're cool with that, then hey you won.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I think you're wasting your time and theirs by trying to convince them to switch to Windows phone. While the platform isn't dead yet, Microsoft has made it clear that the platform isn't for you ("you" being the general consumer). When Microsoft says they're refocusing on enterprise, that isn't a silent wink and a nod to say, "But we're really developing this OS for you." That's Microsoft embracing their niche. If a friend merely wants to know what's happening with WP, don't give them the rising from the ashes speech. Just inform them about Microsoft's current approach, and if they're cool with that, then hey you won.

Now THAT'S a WRAP !!!

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by HeyCori View Post
I think you're wasting your time and theirs by trying to convince them to switch to Windows phone. While the platform isn't dead yet, Microsoft has made it clear that the platform isn't for you ("you" being the general consumer). When Microsoft says they're refocusing on enterprise, that isn't a silent wink and a nod to say, "But we're really developing this OS for you." That's Microsoft embracing their niche. If a friend merely wants to know what's happening with WP, don't give them the rising from the ashes speech. Just inform them about Microsoft's current approach, and if they're cool with that, then hey you won

WOW!!! Out of the blue this post appeared out of nowhere and blew me away!!! :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

And I read this post and had to look up the definition of alacrity LOL!!

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
And I read this post and had to look up the definition of alacrity LOL!!

Now "I" have to look up alacrity. :winktongue:

EDIT>>> That's a good word! I'll keep it.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

It sort of feels like with THIS post, there's no point in continuing.

How about it Mr. OP. Care to comment on the HeyCori's post?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
But I will say when you bail out from Windows Phone, you can get a little homesick. So, like a new home, you might paint a few walls, maybe some wallpaper - I went with wallpaper:

1 S7 edge Full Dresser Windroid Home Screen :winktongue:

View attachment 132482

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Awesome wallpaper! Can you please link or upload it?

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99