How to install Redstone 14356

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
That's good.... I think... Good luck. I'm going to hang back on these builds. Last time I jumped into fast ring that early I had nothing but problems. I will wait until Redstone 3 slow ring gets a few rings out that are at least somewhat stable first. This is my only phone.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Here are my hangups with build 15205. Auto screen brightness is STILL dorked up. I tried it in a dark room, and went back to manual.
Until today, Screen rotation was looney. All is well until you turn the phone with an app open. It didn't seem to matter which app; Texts, GroupMe, Outlook email, Bible reader. Once I turned the phone on its side with an app open, the phone was stuck in that rotation position, except for a couple mandatory things like the home screen...unless I reboot the phone. Today I can't get anything to turn. Rotation lock is off.
I see update 15207 (feature2) is available. Guess we'll give that a go. Charging up my Tilt2 just in case...

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
So my phone updated to 15207. Good news is the screen rotation works like it should! Still no rotation for calculator though. :( Will try the screen auto bright to see how it goes when I wake up.
One weird thing. My daughter sent me a text with seven (7) pictures of my granddaughter playing softball. but when I forwarded the message to my dad, the app complained the message was too big and only sent five (5) pictures!? Anyone else get that error message?

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
So does this method of updating still work? My M8 was already on Win 10 from preview and after changing the registry it says no updates (is the 735 still supported??). Do I need to go back to 8.1 first? It's on 10586.456 currently.

I have an icon that has a pretty recent update, but now that it's also unsupported I want to go back to the M8.

Last edited:

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Like I said, I ended up leaving the RM-1089_1087 and it picked the updates, I only got to 15063.251 (the same build as my Icon has). It runs like a champ on this phone (better than the Icon that received longer support).

Working on getting everything installed and setup so I can pop my sim back over and start using it again. Thanks!

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Wow, I can't get over how good this phone runs now. I had some issues where my apn suddenly disappeared, but managed to get everything working again after some tinkering. Still carrying my Icon with in case something goes nuts, but it's promising, so hopefully can put it away.

xForTheWin

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
How is the 15025 working out for your HTC m8? I'm sitting on Redstone 1 at 10.0.14393.67 and afraid to move on since it's my daily driver... I originally had my m8 (on AT&T - used registry edits to mimic Lumia 735 and get from 8.1 ver2 to the 10 preview) set to fast ring and flew past the 10.0.14393.67, but quickly got caught in a failure-to-fully-boot loop, so I had to throw my hands up and start over...

The version I'm on is pretty solid for my m8, only a few crashes when using heavy resource apps like the camera, people hub (I have a crap ton of contacts), and forgetting to clear multitasking building up. I've cleaned out all my old 8.1 apps and started fresh from the win10 app store since opening those caused of a lot of crashes.

Is it really that much better on the other side of Redstone (going to 2)? What makes it worth opening up my ring setting again to move forward?

Woot woot! I'm currently getting the creator's update (Apr 25th) release build 10.0.15063.251 and hoping I'll sail into May 8th's CB release at .297.

I had given up on fast/slow rings from my issues quoted above and, like a pansy, only set insider preview to receive official CB builds.

My M8 is currently installing 10.0.15063.251 using registry spoof as a Lumia 950... I'll report back in a day or so how it goes.

(FYI I used the global modelname for Lumia 950, which is RM-1104 that worked for me on AT&T)

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Matt, the rotation bug was still a pain. I ended up having to reboot my phone each time it happened. 'Cuz it just wouldn't go away.
The auto-screen brightness didn't get fixed by that build either. In fact, if I remember correctly it happened to me in build 210. I just updated to 15213 last night, and I will try the rotation and auto-bright to see what happens. I have had to do a reboot on my phone after each build gets done installing, as some things just get wonky if I don't.
Used my Tilt2 overnight, and it was nice to use a slide out keyboard again!

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm still on 15063.138. Been checking for updates since I heard 15210 came out but nothing and I'm still on Fast Ring so no idea why I haven't gotten 15210. But, I'm relatively happy with 15063.138 so.... Rotation sucks requiring reboot, hang up for some calls requires lock/unlock screen, selfee sometimes forces auto-reboot; otherwise, I'm happy with 15063.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been so busy the past two weeks I've barely noticed my phone updated to 15215. I think the rotation thing has finally been fixed. I did have some wacky issue with the screen going to half on/half black today, but forced a reboot and seems to be working fine now. Still got a few more days of busy and maybe I can stop and check some phone functions...

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
How do you have your phone named, as a Lumia or HTC. I changed mine back to HTC and have gotten all the past updates but still don't have 15215 so wondering if you left your phone named as a Lumia might be my issue?

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
How do you have your phone named, as a Lumia or HTC. I changed mine back to HTC and have gotten all the past updates but still don't have 15215 so wondering if you left your phone named as a Lumia might be my issue?

You'll probably need to name it back to Lumia 950 when you want to check for updates. I had to do this to pull down the last one at least. I always set mine back after the update so that at least MS are getting the metrics from the proper phone model (even if I'm not supposed to have the update).

I'm on 15215, the rotation bug still seems to be present as well as the automatic setting for screen brightness issue. Neither are to big of a bother for me at this point since otherwise the phone works amazing, but it would be nice if they get fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb