HP Elite x3 - SD Card disconnecting?

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Oddly enough, yesterday PRIOR to the Windows update, my phone turned on and started asking me questions about fixing my SD Card? First time ever! So I went about telling it to perform a "self fix," and voila... all of a sudden I know can see mt card for the first time as originally intended. It now shows up under "Storage." Go figure. I have decided to use the card for files that really don't matter, but not using it for Photo storage, still using device and OneDrive for that.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
15237 Preview build contains the fix we've been waiting for!
""We fixed an issue with the HP Elite X3 reporting that the SD card had been removed from the device when it had not."
Finally! Downloading now.

O W Jones

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: SD Card disconnecting?

I'm adding to this thread to advise of a problem I encountered with my SD card. I thought my X3 was exhibiting this issue again. I was taking pictures last week when the X3 crashed. When I manually rebooted the X3, the Sd card was not recognized. What had me confused was that while storage sense did not recognize the SD card, excel did and could see, read and load saved spreadsheets. It also appeared to be able to read/write to the card. I took out the SD card form the X3 and was able to see it on my pc (Concluded my problem was not related to this issue). I then backed up the data to my pc and attempted to repair the card. I let chkdsk repair the card, it still didn't work I then reformatted the card using the SD format program, no change. I tried reformatting SD card in windows with the same result. Long story short I had to regen windows 10 M on the HP X3 to gain access to the SD card. With windows restored I was able to recognize a new card. The old one still error-ed, so I concluded the old SD card failed. I'm relaying this story in case others might think this issue is still around but may not realize they have a bad card instead. No problems since using a new card.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: SD Card disconnecting?

I'm adding to this thread to advise of a problem I encountered with my SD card. I thought my X3 was exhibiting this issue again. I was taking pictures last week when the X3 crashed. When I manually rebooted the X3, the Sd card was not recognized. What had me confused was that while storage sense did not recognize the SD card, excel did and could see, read and load saved spreadsheets. It also appeared to be able to read/write to the card. I took out the SD card form the X3 and was able to see it on my pc (Concluded my problem was not related to this issue). I then backed up the data to my pc and attempted to repair the card. I let chkdsk repair the card, it still didn't work I then reformatted the card using the SD format program, no change. I tried reformatting SD card in windows with the same result. Long story short I had to regen windows 10 M on the HP X3 to gain access to the SD card. With windows restored I was able to recognize a new card. The old one still error-ed, so I concluded the old SD card failed. I'm relaying this story in case others might think this issue is still around but may not realize they have a bad card instead. No problems since using a new card.

Ya SD cards are wacko some times. Check this out...
I have a 128GB one that today, started displaying it was 32 PB. Yes that is petabytes. 1 PB equals 1million Gigabytes. Anyway it was the weirdest thing my device manager saw three partitions. 2 were 128GB and one was RAW, the other was an unformatted volume, the third partition showed a 32 PB volume. I tried to reformat it and it kept failing. I even tried to use the HP formatting tool (HPUSBDisk.exe) and it failed. Finally I was able to delete all the volumes in disk management after removing it and reinserting it back into my PC a couple times. After that I put it into a windows 10 mobile phone it was able to be discovered and said that it was corrupt and it needed to be repaired/formatted. It some how was able to finally format it for use. :D
I should have taken a screen shot of the disk management showing it being 32 PB. But was really glad in the end my 30 Dollars was not wasted...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124