HTC Hub weather tiles

pikacz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
hi guys
i have the htc hub enabled to run in the background, however my pinned weather tiles don't seem to update until i open the htc hub. i don't have constant internet connection, i enable it from time to time. i tried leaving it enabled for some time (10 minutes or so) but the tiles didn't update. do you know how often do the weather tiles refresh themselves (every hour etc.)?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just started a wee test for you oikacz, will let you know when my HTC weather tile updates on the home screen.

I have set screen to be always on and will keep home screen active so it will update.

Will post the time interval when it updates. :)

pikacz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i just learned that tiles update every 30-60 minutes, it's standard for background tasks, that would explain my problem. anyways i'm still curious about your test :)

pikacz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i think you can stop now or go on if you're very curious :) i guess i'll have to open the hub manually. too bad there's no option to configure the update interval

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll carry on for another hour pikacz, if it hasn't updated by then, well it looks like it's bust. :D

2 hours should be ample for an update I think. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That's 2 hours now pikacz, looks like it doesn't update unless you load up the app. :(

Maybe their next update will fix it. The version I have now is 2.3 Build 2121.38311

pikacz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i got the same version, updated today. do you know what's the situation with other apps with live tiles? i'm gonna try some other weather app, like weatherbug or accuweather later

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I had every other weather app under the sun, favourite 2 were accuweather and The Weather Channel.

Their live tiles seemed to update fine although I can't remember what the interval was pikacz.

I don't have them installed now.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I just switched to accuweather from theweather channel last night and went in this morning to settings and enabled live tile which was apparently off by default thew live tile seems to working just fine.

Oliver Sainsbury

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I can not understand why HTC bothered with their weather and time hub. It looks like it was made simply to mirror their Android products, but why would they do that -- Windows Phone 7 is a completely different and unique OS?

That said, Vadret is the weather app I use. It updates every 30 minutes (I think) but it takes about that long to start displaying information on the tile when it is first pinned. One cool feature it has is it lets you choose the style of your tile. You can choose to have the tile keep with the Metro UI's minimalistic look or you can have a graphic of the current weather conditions. The app itself is also very slick. I tried Vadret, the Weather Channel app, and the simple one by Microsoft, and came away perferring Vadret. Of course, not everyones opinion will be the same.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I also have the HTC hub. Until about two weeks ago, none of my weather apps including HTC would update unless I opened them. I have received a number of updates over the last two weeks and now all live tiles including the HTC hub update automatically and often. I have version 2.3 (build 2121.38311) for the HTC hub.

WPSteve

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I always thought it was 3 hours. HTC Hub has worked fine for me, granted I don't care for the weather THAT much, but when I do it works out for me. I mean, how often does the weather change?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I always thought it was 3 hours. HTC Hub has worked fine for me, granted I don't care for the weather THAT much, but when I do it works out for me. I mean, how often does the weather change?

3 hours was the default setting in the previous build I mentioned, but you could set it as low as every minute! Selecting this option prompted a confirmation screen with a warning about the adverse effect it would have on battery life. (!)
Here in Saskatchewan, the long term forecast, and current conditions, can change dramatically (10?C or more) inside an hour.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Tried another test today and it does seem to be 3 hours for the tile to update.

Hope the option for more frequent updates comes back in a future update.

Not holding my breath on that one though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb