HTC one M8 WP, is it still getting updates from Microsoft??

Bigez833

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought phone in hope of syncing my laptop to it, and the phone is W10 with OS build 10586.545 - is this the most current running OS? I love the phone and have been "trying " to make it my daily phone, but I keep running back to my iPhone, should I just give up??

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
As far as I know, the HTC One M8 is not officially supported anymore. You are running the November Update, or Threshold 2 (TH2) which is the minor update following the initial update of Windows 10 (TH1). I'm not certain if it's Microsoft's or HTC's fault, or if it's a combination of both, but I do know that your phone will not receive anymore updates besides the occasional cumulative update. And even that is an "if."
It's unfortunate because it was a great phone and if HTC had shown any care for the device it could still be a great phone. But without official support I can't really recommend it to anyone.
You can take a look at the Alcatel Idol 4s which for you I think would be a great alternative option. It's a beautiful, well built phone with a lot of power behind it and it is officially supported.

unichips

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
There is a how-to on this site discussing how you could attempt to modify you phone so that it advertises itself to the Windows Update servers as though it was running a Windows 10 Enterprise license, instead of the normal consumer license.

After you do that, you would be able to ask to "defer updates", AKA switch to builds from the long-term service branch (LTSB) of Windows 10. As of right now, the LTSB is still pushing out new builds based on TH2 - currently for Windows 10 Mobile, at least version 10586.839 is available.

That might work for you - apparently it works on some older Lumias which were never officially supported for the official Windows 10 Mobile release but which installed TH2 during the pre-release testing phase of the insider program. But keep in mind all new builds on 10586.x are aimed purely at maintaining security and stability. You wouldn't receive any new features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo