I am meeting Gabe Aul: give me ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilreaper

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Can you pitch him this idea and tell me what he said? The surface phone should have an intel processor and atleast 4 gigs of ram. Other specs don't matter but a QHD display would be nice along with good cameras. The main feature would be to run full windows apps when connected to the dock as it has an NVidia custom gpu ( or Amd) so that you can play games on it.

Deepu M

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Tiles suppose to be a good feature if you get it right. But MS messed it up & that was part of windows 8's failure. (Please check the below link, add http semi colon slash slash before the below link)
cd-rw.org/t/what-really-is-wrong-with-the-windows-live-tiles-design/52

Deepu M

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Tiles suppose to be a good feature if you get it right. But MS messed it up & that was part of windows 8's failure.

cd-rw.org/t/what-really-is-wrong-with-the-windows-live-tiles-design/52
(Not letting me post any links, so I removed the front part of the link)

Deepu M

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
What really is wrong with the Windows Live Tiles design
Discussion

AdminSep '15 1
Microsoft has pushed the so called Live Tiles in their UI design for many years now and clearly the people are not buying. They've tried it on phones, tablets and even desktops without success. Yet Microsoft insists on using them even in the Windows 10, even tough they are now pushed aside to the start menu when using the desktop mode. In my opinion the basic problem of the tiles is actually built into human perception and the brain. This makes me wonder why the high salaried Microsoft designers are not getting it?

See the forest for the trees

This is a tree:

When you look at the next picture, what do you see?

Was your response a bunch of trees, or did you think of a forest first? Yes, we even have a word for a bunch of trees growing in near proximity of each other. Beleive it or not, this is the very reason why live tiles are confusing at first sight and actually have a learning curve for the end user. We as humans are designed to detect patterns and looking at the big picture. We really do see the forest for the trees, as the old saying goes. And this is what the Microsoft designers fail to understand.

Bump into the great wall

When Windows presents us with a screen full of tiles, we initially see a wall. There is a two dimensional pattern of tiles organized in a grid, or in worst case the view is somewhat disorganized as in the picture above (Lumia 1520). Unless you are accustomed with the grid UI, you first run into a wall only after which your eye and the brain starts to scan through the details.

All items on the screen are rectangular, which makes it harder to identify them by looking at the shape. Most of the items are in the chosen theme color, so there is no proper colour coding to help us out - with the exception of some tiles using a famliriar color of a brand. On icon based Uis you immeadiately recognize the familiar shapes and colors of the well known applications, like Internet Explorer (blue letter e), Chrome (the eye from Big Brother) or Firefox (orange fox). On live tiles you do not have that benefit.

Surely Microsoft knows that the tiles simply are not working, but for some reason the refuse to pull back from their Metro UI / Modern UI concept. In Windows 10 mobile they have redesigned the actual icons within the tiles smaller, possibly trying to make the UI look less crowded. In the PC version desktop mode the tiles are hidden to the start menu. Why not just get rid of them?

The tiles were first introduced in Windows Phone 7. Display resolutions and sizes of the time were much smaller and it was a sensible idea to clear the clutter and aim for a minimalistic UI design. Most importantly the original WP7 was optimized for one handed usage. There were only two columns of tiles, the smallest size was not available, and the tiles were positioned slightly to the left hand side of the screen for maximum usability with one thumb. In this scenario the design works and the WP7 was pleasantly simple. Later they have added a third column, more tile size variations and screens of mobile phones have grown to 6". Did Microsoft think that the 4" display size was here to stay forever? Did they not learn anything from the PC Windows 8 failure?

So Microsoft - just dump the tiles. Period.

Deepu M

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
There are 100s of sites showing what's really wrong with Tiles interface. Majority doesn't like tiles & think it's ugly. That's part of the reason why windows 8 desktop OS failed & windows phone market share drops down to 1.6 %

Cannot post any links. Do a google search for "live tiles clutter screen". You will see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Fred Shumacher

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I would like to know why of why has MS still not paid any attention to fix the L2TP VPN client on WM10 or introduced OpenVPN client as well? Business world needs these solutions' and WM10 is perfect for that. IKEv2 is not the answer.

Last edited:

rav4kar

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
One more feature request:

Ask him to add volume slider to drop down notification or somewhere, tell him give an option to change volume without hitting volume rocker. Also if possible hand him out this forums print copies and to his dev team.

mertzi

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I'm surprised, not a single mention in this thread of an x86 phone and only one about the surface phone. I really thought there was an interest from the enthusiast community.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Advice: Don't bother with the time and money of developing a Surface Phone if Verizon customers can't get it. You need a partnership with the largest US carrier.

Fred Shumacher

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My Ford Fiesta 2013 titanium With Sony car radio 950xl has had never ever any problems with bt pairing or using. Works perfectly. All functions. Can play mp3 files and simultaneously use bt for OBD diagnostic dongle

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[INFO]The OP has never replied to this thread. I'm sure his intentions were well founded, but the lack of response indicates nothing useful is occurring here.

I think there is a mis-perception going on: The OP is invited, along with many others, to a social occasion. The OP has not been granted an exclusive interview with an hour or more uninterrupted time with Mr. Aul.

Likely the venue will be over run and very noisy. We are talking about the host city during Mobile World Congress and the population influx likely has the city bursting at the seams.

It is doubtful that even 1/100th of this could be posed to Mr. Aul in the format that is expected.

This has become a pointless exercise.

Thread Closed.[/INFO]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshi