I had to try the LG G3

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a die hard Windows user, but I just had to try that beautiful piece of hardware called the LG G3 on Verizon since it was a free upgrade, and there was nothing on the horizon for WP at Verizon. After 5 days, it's going back. As much as I tried finding various Android apps to get that phone to work like my Lumia 928, it just wasn't even close in usability. I absolutely loved the hardware, but Android is no where near as easy to use as WP8.1. Here are the primary short-comings for me:
  1. Email/Calendar/Contact clients: I have both an Outlook.com custom domain account and a business Exchange Account. After trying about a dozen different email clients on the G3, none performed as well as my Lumia. The calendar apps basically all sucked. Trying to customize notifications for the two email accounts separately was a chore, if not impossible.
  2. Notifications: I missed Glance terribly. Just being able to glance at the phone to see time and notifications is HUGE. I thought I could do without, but nope. The slidedown notifications screen in Android isn't nearly as clean as WP. I had to try numerous lockscreens to find one that gave me the information I needed, but none worked as cleanly or effectively as Glance.
  3. Bluetooth Sync: I drive a Prius with base sound system and the Lumia synced perfectly for me. I could voice dial or sms via Cortana without any issue. She would also read my sms and give me the option to reply via voice. This functionality is also a huge plus for WP, but completely non-existant with the G3. I even posted this on Android Central hoping someone could help, but nothing. With Cortana, you just speed dial 555 555 9876 and tell Cortana what you want, even ask the weather!
  4. Apps: It seemed like every app I wanted to use was laden with ads.
  5. Bloatware: Holy crap, the G3 was loaded with so much junk. And there's really no easy way for a novice user to see how much overhead that crap was causing. And no way to uninstall without rooting the device? C'mon..... I might be a geek, but why should I have to jump through hoops to remove all of Verizon's junk and Amazon's software, etc, etc.

That's about it. I'm sure there's more, and I was really hoping to adapt to Android, but it just wasn't for me. I hope this might help anyone else thinking of jumping ship. I'll be glad to be back on my Lumia and WP8.1 tonight!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have never owned Android phones, but I've played around with enough.. Things I miss.. Double tap to wake, Glance and the playstore reall isn't that awesome :p

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
G3 does have double tap to wake. They call it "knock knock". It was also supposed to be able to double tap to turn off the screen, but that seemed to stop working whenever I installed a different notification app or lockscreen for no rhyme or reason.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You complain about the apps being full of ads, it's pretty obvious that you were installing "free" apps. Of course those are advertisement driven.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I bounce between both Android & WP.

In all honesty, and my opinion of course...your mistake is in your third sentence: "to get that phone to work like my Lumia 928". One I made when I came to WP from Android...you have to let an Android phone be an Android phone and learn to use their design & workflow philosophy to work for you...not turn it into a G3 Windows Phone.

5 days won't be enough to get you there. You'll be frustrated and annoyed and think it's crap...its a learning process. As a Gmail user running Windows Phone, I can say I have many of the same complaints regarding Gmail & WP integration...colored events don't even show up on Calendar, where as in Android, the Google Calendar integration is top notch.

I use an HTC WP & HTC Android phone, so I can't comment on Glance.

The Verizon bloat is unfortunately, Verizon's fault, not an issue with Android per se...you could order a Google Play edition and have a crystal clear Android experience.

And Yes, Ads on Freeware are plentiful, so yes, every FREE app you wanted was loaded with Ads...and a look at the future of WP apps if they ever warrant enough market share to get all that free/crapper ware that exists on Android & iOS (its not just and Android thing...) Apps that are good, I pay for to remove the ads, and am happy to do so.

I will say that our Dodge talks wonderfully to all 3 OS's (iOS, Android & WP) and generally provides and equal experience. I have no complaints.

5 days though, that isn't enough time to form a concrete opinion, you haven't even made it through the learning curve of a new OS & Ecosystem. If you really want to get to know Android, pick up a used Galaxy S3. It's running KitKat and will give you the time to learn Android without the pressure of a contract return window.

For me, I like them both for what they are, but if you want to 'make' one work like the other, you're going to be frustrated & disappointed...the same as some guys that come from Android to WP are...it takes more than 5 days to make the transition.

**I was curious on the Prius, and it would seem that Lollipop & Bluetooth car sync'ing isn't perfect yet with certain cars...bummer.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I respect the OP's opinion, but he may be the only guy on the planet to take a 928 over a LG G3.

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy.

That was a common phrase back in the day, some people have personal preferences which defy one's own logic. To each his own.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Years ago, I heard a witty reply to this. A young kid who drove a Mustang said this line, and an older gentleman replied with, "Yeah, that's because you're used to it!"

I'm one of those "older gentleman" now so I'll take a Cadillac for my old bones. But make it the CTS-V with the supercharged 6.2 if you don't mind. My SCCA days are not that far removed.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If the G3 had Windows Phone 8.1, it would be no contest. It wasn't the hardware that caused my dissatisfaction with the G3, it was the OS. As I said in my original post, "I absolutely loved the hardware, but Android is no where near as easy to use as WP8.1."

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
If the G3 had Windows Phone 8.1, it would be no contest. It wasn't the hardware that caused my dissatisfaction with the G3, it was the OS. As I said in my original post, "I absolutely loved the hardware, but Android is no where near as easy to use as WP8.1."

It's unfortunate that we can't get the better quality hardware that android does. As you said, 8.1 would be nice on a G3, Win 10 even better. I guess we just have to be satisfied with small "gem" finds like the 635, 830, etc. Maybe Win 10 will come soon to your 928 and give it a fresh feel until something else shows up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers