I have an iPad air...should I sell it for the nokia Lumia 2520?

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I am very ocd with having two different products with different atmospheres. I have my ipad air which connects to my icloud email and all of my apple stuff.

I have a Nokia Lumia 1520. Should I get rid of the iPad air and get the nokia 2520 to match the phone? You either go all in or not.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's really something only you will be able to determine. It all depends upon your needs and which device will fulfill those needs best. Nobody else knows how you use a tablet, so other people cannot make the decision for you.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Laura. Microsoft is different from apple and android in that the tablet operating system is basically the desktop operating system going down to tablets. Android tablets and iPads are phone operating systems pushed up to tablets. This is a different mindset, so your Lumia phone and a 2520 have a different operating system, where an iphone and an ipad would be basically the same.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
nope keep ur ipad. ur ipad will still receive updates for a long time to come. the future of windows RT is not known. what if they choose to stop supporting it.. or what if ms tells oems that after wp and rt merger old tabs cant be upgraded?

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Any possible way to automatically make the images and videos I take on my nokia lumia 1520 automatically upload to my icloud photos and videos?

I remember my android phone did this. I set it up about 1 year ago and dont know exactly how I did it.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Any possible way to automatically make the images and videos I take on my nokia lumia 1520 automatically upload to my icloud photos and videos?

I remember my android phone did this. I set it up about 1 year ago and dont know exactly how I did it.

You can get your stuff automatically uploaded to Skydrive, but not to iCloud. (you can't do that on Amdroid, either)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am very ocd with having two different products with different atmospheres. I have my ipad air which connects to my icloud email and all of my apple stuff.

I have a Nokia Lumia 1520. Should I get rid of the iPad air and get the nokia 2520 to match the phone? You either go all in or not.

The iPad is a (very good) content consumption device. There are hundreds of thousands of (mostly entertainment) apps for it. So if you need a device for reading books, watching videos, playing games etc. stick with the iPad. There's nothing better around. If you need a laptop replacement that also works as a tablet (albeit with a much smaller app selection), get a Surface Pro 2. I personally wouldn't opt for a Windows RT device as those are limited in terms of replacing a laptop and at the same time don't offer more as a tablet.

I'm sticking with my iPad Air for home use, but I already have a Surface Pro 2 for work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I've got the 1520 and 2520. For my purposes, the 2520 is great. You could pose this same question in the 2520 forum to get other owners' opinions.

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
You can get your stuff automatically uploaded to Skydrive, but not to iCloud. (you can't do that on Amdroid, either)

I remember how I did it but you need a mac computer. The pics I take on my android are automatically uploaded to dropbox. Mac has an option to automatically upload the contents of a folder to icloud images/videos. I made the dropbox photos folder automatically upload to my icloud account.

When I take a pic with my andrioid phone it goes to dropbox..Once I am using my mac computer the folder automatically syncs to icloud.

dropbox | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with some of the angst against RT. I have three Windows 8 devices. My desktop has no touch capability, my laptop is a 4th Gen ulv I5 with a 1080p touch screen and I now have the 2520 that replaced my 64gb Surface RT.

I will start by saying the 8.1 update provided massive usability improvements on all three devices (original Surface RT especially). I actually prefer using the desktop on my 2520 for browsing the internet most of the time. I also appreciate the full OS level networking and having direct access to the command line. All of this while having a touch screen tablet interface on the same device. In addition, the ability to manage files and devices without relying on menus and wizards is fantastic to me.

I actually prefer RT because it doesn't run x86 code. Most of the stupid apps that auto install from visiting web pages will fail to run thanks to this not being x86. Also, there is better security in much the same way.

I also enjoy the media consumption capabilities of this device.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Actually being a long time iPad user who did upgraded to the Air, which is a great device IMHO for consumption which I used my iPads for I am not a gamer just web, email, Facebook, and YouTube. After going through two new Airs, I gave up, there is a nasty bug in IOS7 that makes using safari crash all the time. Just Google safari crash IOS7. It an OS issue and Apple is still working on a fix.
For me I decided to go try a Windows tablet, the 2520 which I am using now and really like it. I also use a Windows Phone HTC 8X. Like that to.
To me as easy to use as an iPhone. Sure I still own both a windows 7 laptop and an Apple Air my wife uses and for my photography work I use a Mac Pro.

At the end if I had not sold my iPad 4 running IOS6 I would have stayed with Apple yet I loved the new Air but Apple killed it with the new IOS so I gave it 2 weeks to see if Apple would fix the issue and did not so o returned it. No looking back.

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, iPad is a great device, but is geared way more towards pure consumption. Only you can answer if you're comfortable enough to use more than one ecosystem. I have a little of all 3. The reason I bought the 2520 w/ RT was because I really needed the ability to be productive while mobile. For me, that means having a kb/mouse, a decent resolution, and mobile connectivity. I am going to use the 2520 primarily to remote control other full-sized PCs. That means using Remote Desktop to do remote development against my primary PC (which is a big laptop I hate carrying around), remote server maintenance and customer support via TeamViewer.

Sure, the App selection on RT isn't anywhere near IOS, but in some way's that's a plus for me. It will keep me from getting distracted.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I also should have mentioned that the adobe flash support on the RT devices means you don't need an app to do a lot of things other tablets do need an app for.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

ya, you're not "very ocd" if you have to ask. just use them a while and decide which you like better since you have both mobile OS's right now.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I go Microsoft for my ecosystem (always), and all my devices (currently) because they're the ONLY company that supports all three platforms.

I can get office, skydrive, bing and outlook on iOS7, Android, or WP8 no problem.

Google only supports iOS and Android

Apple only supports Apple

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I go Microsoft for my ecosystem (always), and all my devices (currently) because they're the ONLY company that supports all three platforms.

I can get office, skydrive, bing and outlook on iOS7, Android, or WP8 no problem.

Google only supports iOS and Android

Apple only supports Apple

what us your definition of support?

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I would of bought one if it came with Windows 8.1 in stead of RT.

If you use your iPad for games, media, and socal networking only it would be easier to stick with the iPad. If you like new device experiences like I do go for it. Personally I always recommend spending a little more money and going for a Surface Pro but if you don't have the money for that and or want a smaller device I would check the Dell Venue Pro 8 running full Windows 8.1 and has a SIM slot for mobile service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion