I quit my job...now the way forward.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Same thing here but I'm just 20 and single so probably things are brighter for me.

I may be too young to give you advice so you can just call this my '2 cents'

I feel you, but now that you are starting a family, you are better with your job right now. Try to hang on a bit, save a little and try studying what you love. It's never too late to achieve what you like. I'm stuck at an office right now and recently found out that I love to study animals and nature. It's still a blur to me since my parents insist for me to stay with my job. Their reason is because I'm nearing that regular position but the problem is I don't like to do what I'm doing at present for the next years.

My situation is tricky since my degree would be wasted and I will study another 4 years but I am willing to do it. Are you willing to gamble your job to study what you like? I think you should work and study at the same time if you can do it. It's never too late man. It's your life. The decision is yours and I wish you the best for yourself and your family!

If one is never too young to learn, one is never too young to teach also. Thanks a lot for your reply brother. And I wish u good luck, health and prosperity in whatever u do. It is my decision and I completely agree with u. Even the place I am in right now, is one of them. Anyways. Thanks again. :) cheers!

I'm a lawyer and soon will be an LLM. No way that I wanna become an attorney, prosecutor, judge... I like startups and I'm building one. I like technology.
That's why I decided to learn something about venture capital, internet law and so on. You can always combine your study with your interests.
But the most important thing is to know what you want! And don't listen anyone but yourself. I know parents always dictate what should their kids study, but I think you should listen to yourself only.

Thanks for your reply. The catch is, even though I know what I want, it is impossible for me to achieve it. I loved programming and took classes. I scored a meagre 23% out of 100. So, no matter how much I love computers, programming ain't for me.

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Xenophos,

I've been down your particular road twice. In 2000 I decided I wanted to get out of IT and get into charity work. Went back to evening college (UK), and finished in 2004 with a Master's degree. I quit my job and did charity work in India in 2005-2006. When I came back I found it extremely hard to get charity jobs, because of the fact most development jobs wanted experience in Africa, not Asia. After nearly 18 months out of work I landed back up in IT in Finance.

I am planning another change back to charity, however I learned a lesson along the way and that is to have a financial backup plan. I do have two properties now that will pay for themselves. It means I can absorb the 70% paycut and still have a roof over my head. The line of work will entail travelling overseas, so one of the properties has four bedrooms, meaning I can stay there inbetween assignments.

Like everyone else has said, no amount of money can buy waking up in the morning and looking forward to the day ahead as opposed to being filled with dread. I have a near-death experience in the year 2000 that made me change my path altogether. As Aldous Huxley once said "experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him". 13 years on I'm still trying to make that permanent change. You have to ask yourself what is taller, the obstacles for your desired path, or you determination to do what you want.

Good luck.

Hi Nomadicphone.

A very very special thank u. I really really loved every word you've written there. Especially the last bit. I even read it to my father (who is the most learned man I know) and he admired it too. I am not only moved but also inspired.
Thanks a lot... U made my day. :) :D

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could leave my job, but the American job market for twentysomethings is just atrocious. It doesn't help that I have a degree in writing, which hasn't even proven to be worth the paper the degree was printed on in the first place.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing more and more people who want to get out of their 9-5 job, or do something completely different than what they studied at university. I'm not surprised though. These days it feels like employers want to squeeze every little ounce of work out of their employees without returning the favour in terms of adequate pay or time off. Meanwhile the people high up on the corporate ladder do even less work while getting paid more.

It reminds me of how when I was a recent grad and I used to hear these talks by professionals (usually CEOs, VPs, Directors etc) who would tell other recent grads things like, "If you want to make it in the work world you have to put your personal life to one side and dedicate yourself to your job". A lot of young people get the impression from those types of talks is that the only way they will be successful professionals is if they spend all their time working hard trying to move up, working overtime to please their bosses, not take holidays when they need them and other pointless sacrifices. Later on if the company runs into some problems they let go of their employees and the employees are stunned because they wonder why all their hard work wasn't taken into account.

I made a conscious choice not to dedicate my life to my 9-5 job. I'm not saying that I am a slacker or anything of that sort because I will do my best when it is expected. However, I am not going to do things like work excessive overtime, put off holidays, work weekends, answer emails at home etc.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing more and more people who want to get out of their 9-5 job, or do something completely different than what they studied at university. I'm not surprised though. These days it feels like employers want to squeeze every little ounce of work out of their employees without returning the favour in terms of adequate pay or time off. Meanwhile the people high up on the corporate ladder do even less work while getting paid more.

It reminds me of how when I was a recent grad and I used to hear these talks by professionals (usually CEOs, VPs, Directors etc) who would tell other recent grads things like, "If you want to make it in the work world you have to put your personal life to one side and dedicate yourself to your job". A lot of young people get the impression from those types of talks is that the only way they will be successful professionals is if they spend all their time working hard trying to move up, working overtime to please their bosses, not take holidays when they need them and other pointless sacrifices. Later on if the company runs into some problems they let go of their employees and the employees are stunned because they wonder why all their hard work wasn't taken into account.

I made a conscious choice not to dedicate my life to my 9-5 job. I'm not saying that I am a slacker or anything of that sort because I will do my best when it is expected. However, I am not going to do things like work excessive overtime, put off holidays, work weekends, answer emails at home etc.

Agree with each and every word. In fact, that's exactly what happened. When I was unwell last weekend, suffering from a severe backache with fever, I was asked to finish some job.

A. It was a weekend
B. I wasn't well.
C. The job was a piddly little one.
D. My boss talks to me and says, "its not like u are doing a favour to me."

Was reasons enough for me to say good bye.
The problem is, all my boss, every one above me are, for lack of a better term, family-less. They have no idea how much a family craves to be with u, at least on a weekend.

They kept mailing me till 2 in the night that day after which I blocked all of them on Gmail. And I don't regret it.

In think we can do away with this pressure that they build for no reason.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Bravo. I feel the same way. I'll do what I need to do while I'm there, but I have a life to live once it's 5 pm.

I do wish I had more responsibility and worked with stuff I enjoyed (writing), however.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Xenophos,

Sometimes it is good to have a plan before you go. Sometimes it is good to just quit and figure it out as you go. I've made changes both ways, and for me, it is better to have a plan so I can move on and be comfortable with my decision 100% - even if I choose to do that same type of work again in the future.

Now that the horse is out the barn, it is how you juggle your responsibilities in the short term with how you chase your dreams is what matters. You shouldn't have to choose between one or the other, but make sure what you do from this point forward addresses both.

All the best to you on this part of your journey.

Nisse Tuta

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Every second-third year or so I quit my job and/or move to a different town/city. Why? Dont know.
Sometimes because of a similar experience like Xenophos. Sometimes its because a job or place seems exiteing and I whant to check it out. Sometimes Im just bored.
Ive worked as everything from Radio hoast to a mechanic. Lived in four different countrys, in small towns and big cities.
Im 31 now and have been on the move since I was 17. Will I ever stop? No idea.

My current job in the Swedish armed Forces have so far keept me exited, every day is different. But I bought a new apartment yesterday in a City wich I have only pased through earlier, I have no idea how my life is gonna turn out there, and thats the thing.

Dont be scared about this, yes there will be some frictions and maybe even some problems. But if you set your mind to it, it could be your biggest adventure and the best desission you have ever made.
And if you fall, you learn from the lesson, stand up and go again, untill you find what it is you whant to do and/or value in life.

Good luck :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Every second-third year or so I quit my job and/or move to a different town/city. Why? Dont know.
Sometimes because of a similar experience like Xenophos. Sometimes its because a job or place seems exiteing and I whant to check it out. Sometimes Im just bored.
Ive worked as everything from Radio hoast to a mechanic. Lived in four different countrys, in small towns and big cities.
Im 31 now and have been on the move since I was 17. Will I ever stop? No idea.

My current job in the Swedish armed Forces have so far keept me exited, every day is different. But I bought a new apartment yesterday in a City wich I have only pased through earlier, I have no idea how my life is gonna turn out there, and thats the thing.

Dont be scared about this, yes there will be some frictions and maybe even some problems. But if you set your mind to it, it could be your biggest adventure and the best desission you have ever made.
And if you fall, you learn from the lesson, stand up and go again, untill you find what it is you whant to do and/or value in life.

Good luck :)

Thanks so much Nisse for sharing about your life. It reflects lot of positivism about life. That's the life I wish to live TBH. When I talked about experience and gaining knowledge, that's exactly what I meant. I bet you've learned a lot things on the way. Keep it up. Cheers and thanks once again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs